No Calorie Sodas and Weight

Options

Replies

• That_Country_Girl82
    That_Country_Girl82 Posts: 122 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I lost 20lbs drinking diet dr pepper along with healthy eating and exercise.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    because chemicals are bad, and diet soda is fake sugar/chemicals???

I was drinking cherry coke zero for 2 years before I figured out the "food poisoning" symptoms were really that and not the food.

You may have a sensitivity some something in the soda. It sounds like you've figured that out indirectly. But many people have no problems with those "chemicals" (everything is a chemical of one sort or another, I don't believe that those in coke zero are particularly dangerous, barring sensitivities/allergies)
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    ellie7187 wrote: »
    I've searched online and in these forums to see what the popular opinion on this subject is. So many articles claim that no calorie sodas lead to weight gain and/or obesity. But I just don't understand how if you are running a calorie deficit.

What are your opinions?

I drink a fairly large amount of Coke Zero each day so this topic is important to me haha. Do I actually have to drink just water to lose weight?!

Ok I am ready to get blasted here because I know I am going to! For me (just my own personal experience) as long as a stick with coke zero it DOES NOT CAUSE ME TO GAIN. For whatever reason the others, diet coke, diet dr pepper, dt mt dew all make me crave food big time. I have been hugely successful this go around by letting myself have my coke zero. Sometimes I like to even have a Monster Zero Ultra (gasp!! LOL)
  • Xerogs
    Xerogs Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I will have a Coke Zero or Diet Dr. Pepper once in w blue moon these days but I prefer either coffee and tea without sweetener. The one thing I have noticed is by not drinking super sweet drinks I don't crave sweets as much as I used too when I was drinking diet soda daily. Plus aspartame gives me headaches like no other. I don't think it makes you gain weight but I do think they make you crave other bad foods and rationalize eating them because you are having a zero calorie drink. I drink a lot of water plus a glass of hibiscus tea just for something different. Diet soda might be good for some people but my overall health has been better since I stopped drinking them so frequently.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    xerogs1 wrote: »
    I will have a Coke Zero or Diet Dr. Pepper once in w blue moon these days but I prefer either coffee and tea without sweetener. The one thing I have noticed is by not drinking super sweet drinks I don't crave sweets as much as I used too when I was drinking diet soda daily. Plus aspartame gives me headaches like no other. I don't think it makes you gain weight but I do think they make you crave other bad foods and rationalize eating them because you are having a zero calorie drink. I drink a lot of water plus a glass of hibiscus tea just for something different. Diet soda might be good for some people but my overall health has been better since I stopped drinking them so frequently.

For some people, aspartame is a known migraine trigger. But that is a special case.

I am very glad it's not one of my triggers.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Wow, all these the responses are great!

I would like to clarify a bit (defend myself? Haha) and say that my Coke Zero is also my coffee/tea. I've never liked coffee or tea (I can drink some herbal teas that are basically just warm fruit water) and can't force myself to like it or drink it. So, admittedly, Coke Zero is my "morning coffee". I also drink about 6 cups of water a day (trying to get more in but damn it's hard!) so it's not like I'm only having soft drinks.

I'm not sure if I'll get blasted for this or not, but I also drink Coke Zero at times when I normally would have grazed or snacked. Like, when I'm not hungry but would have eaten something just to keep my hands busy (?). Now I grab a Coke Zero. Maybe not the healthiest choice in the world, but better than taking down half a bag of chips while watching tv, or nibbling away at a cheese & cracker platter at a party. Calorie wise, at least...

Sounds like you've got a good system going. I too also drink low calorie/no calorie drinks when I have a desire for something sweet. It's not 'unhealthy'...there's no calories in it.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

I would like to clarify a bit (defend myself? Haha) and say that my Coke Zero is also my coffee/tea. I've never liked coffee or tea (I can drink some herbal teas that are basically just warm fruit water) and can't force myself to like it or drink it. So, admittedly, Coke Zero is my "morning coffee". I also drink about 6 cups of water a day (trying to get more in but damn it's hard!) so it's not like I'm only having soft drinks.

I'm not sure if I'll get blasted for this or not, but I also drink Coke Zero at times when I normally would have grazed or snacked. Like, when I'm not hungry but would have eaten something just to keep my hands busy (?). Now I grab a Coke Zero. Maybe not the healthiest choice in the world, but better than taking down half a bag of chips while watching tv, or nibbling away at a cheese & cracker platter at a party. Calorie wise, at least...

I do this too, only with Diet Coke (well, before I got preggers, anyway)

And if anything, I've always been MORE sensitive to sweet things than my non-soda drinking friends. They eat things that I can't stomach due to the sweetness...
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I do this all the time. Diet Coke and a pickle. Haha. It gets the job done when you're out of calories but need something crunchy and satisfying.