New to posting! 43 and Menopausal! Trying Keto for the first time (fingerscrossed)

Sofia814
Sofia814 Posts: 10 Member
Hello! I have done this dieting thing a ton of times and have decided to try something different! I have used this website but hardly ever posted (if at all). I figured maybe if I have some support and accountability it would make a difference this go around. Here's a little about me: I am 43, two grown children, married, and have been perimenopausal since I was 40 (which really pi**ed me off!). I have slowly gained 25 pounds over this 3 year period and am very frustrated. I have always been super active since my early 20's and remain so but my self-confidence has taken an hit with all of this weight gain and I find myself not wanting to work out quite as much. I feel like such a loser to my kids because they have watched me fail and fail again with this diet thing and I can't seem to get ahold of myself! I have terrible willpower! I am currently trying the Keto diet because nothing else seem to be working. I'm looking for some friends to help me on this journey! Thanks for listening!

Replies

• nwadbi
    nwadbi Posts: 1 Member
    I'm trying this again myself and I'm new to posting as well and reading. I think I have about 80 pounds I want to lose. That number sounds so awful! But hey it is what it is!
  • Numericmama373
    Numericmama373 Posts: 125 Member
    Yes. I am 46, 2 non grown kids (13 & 10) but definitely in the beginning menopause stage. Which is SUPER AWESOME!

I'm not doing keto though. I am just eating Whole Foods for the most part.

My main goal is to create healthy habits that don't require thought. Like every. Orining I have cottage cheese and banana. Later I have a snack of apple and almonds. We'll see where it leads.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    I hear you on the self confidence thing. In my head I picture myself as I always was (20 lbs ago) but the mirror shows me the reality. It's disheartening. Losing weight is so hard at this age. I keep plugging away, but it's hard to keep going in the face of little progress.
  • LorenzoLiz
    LorenzoLiz Posts: 4 Member
    I'd like to try the RAD or Keto diet too. Have been reading about it on a lipedema forum. I've got 15 lbs and some bad habits to lose. Could you send me a friend request?
  • Sofia814
    I hear you Kincar! That has been my biggest downfall! If I don't see results right away I just seem to give up! I am trying to change my mindset this time. The way I am trying to look at it now is the time will go by anyway so if I stick with it SOMETHING will change but if I don't everything will stay the same. Keep working at it! You can do this!
  • gomissfitnes
    gomissfitnes Posts: 268 Member
    Boy this one caught my attention with menopausal! I too went through it early and am five years into being past perimenopause. I'm 47. I am 18 pounds heavier than I was before I started the change. I am trying to lose it yet again...without success and it's freaking me out. I have stumbled across insulin resistance information through my many searches and something clicked for me. I will be taking the intermittent fasting route. If anyone wants to follow my progress to see if it works I would be happy to be the guinea pig.
  • Sofia814
    Hi gomissfitnes! I have no idea what phase of menopause I am in. I am trying to wean myself off of progesterone and estrogen/testosterone. I am hoping some weightloss and heathly diet will help. I am also trying intermittent fasting! I am following "The Keto Diet" book suggestions but I am not big on the recipes so I am making my own as I go along. Glad I am not in this alone! My sister is 3 years older and no sign of perimenopause! Thanks for your response! Will send a friend request :)
  • JoyJeannine
    JoyJeannine Posts: 3 Member
    Hi Sofia814- I'm 53 yrs old, also weaning from hormone replacement therapy, and have been trying to jumpstart my Keto diet. I was a size 4 until 10 years ago, so i can totally relate to all of you gaining weight on your 40's. You are doing the right thing to work on it NOW. I waited...and have 35 lbs. to shed. I'm confident that I can get this under control. We all can. I have already posted pictures of my former size 4 self on the fridge; thrown out the carbs; and found a bunch of affirmations. I refuse to be embarrassed by my weight one more day! I'd be happy to connect for mutual support.
  • Sofia814
    Hi JouJeannine! Thanks for the encouragement! It helps to know that there are others out there dealing with the same issues! It is weird because it crept up over the last 3 years. I am also suffering from embarrassment about my weight. I am finding myself avoiding family pictures and I haven't worn shorts for the past two summers! It was 112 degrees outside yesterday! I am 170 and I would like to get down to 140 (my normal weight before all of this) however I will settle for 150. Thanks again for sharing your struggle! I'll send you a frend request ;)
  • RamblingTxRose
    RamblingTxRose Posts: 1 Member
    Hey y'all! I'm 54 years old, type 2 diabetic, hypothyroid (yes, on Synthroid) & also 70lbs overweight. Throughout the years I have tried different diets, but sticking with it was always a problem. Literally faced with a "Do Or Die" epiphany, I started the Ketogenic diet on the 4th. Let's call it my "Independence Day" from carbs. So far so good. I can honestly say I have not been hungry! Kuddos to all the peri/post menopausal, hypothyroid, type 2 diabetics chickadees out there joining me in this weight loss journey. Let's band together & support each other!
  • EllenCrane1
    EllenCrane1 Posts: 9 Member
    I am starting over for the last time. I am almost 50 and need to lose 60 pounds ( per doctors orders). My hormones and medicines make it impossible but Jesus is going to make it possible. I know if I do the natural, walk my goal of 3 miles a day, He will do the supernatural. I have had Fibromyalgia since I was 24 and I am very small boned so this extra weight is ruining my quality of life. I am excited to get started. I have 2 married kids and a 13 year old still at home.

Ellen Kay
  • Hi, Im 51 and peri menopausal...Keeping fit and maintaining a healthy weight used to be so much easier than now!! I have had thyroid issues and surgery on my spine and so finding it harder than ever to exercise as I have to be so careful. I am however doing the Keto diet as I have 10 kgs to lose. The weight is coming off albeit slowly and now in my 5th week of this way of eating I am finding I have more energy and have started exercising. currently walking lots more at a much faster pace and starting with a personal trainer at the weekend. Currently down 9.5kgs...This definitely works!!!
  • snobuni77
    snobuni77 Posts: 4 Member
    Sofia814 wrote: »
    Hi JouJeannine! Thanks for the encouragement! It helps to know that there are others out there dealing with the same issues! It is weird because it crept up over the last 3 years. I am also suffering from embarrassment about my weight. I am finding myself avoiding family pictures and I haven't worn shorts for the past two summers! It was 112 degrees outside yesterday! I am 170 and I would like to get down to 140 (my normal weight before all of this) however I will settle for 150. Thanks again for sharing your struggle! I'll send you a frend request ;)

• snobuni77
    snobuni77 Posts: 4 Member
    Hello , I didn’t mean to hit quite like that Sofia I’m sorry lol. I am also Wayyyyy bigger then I ever was. My normal eight is 135 but I’m now 192.I had my son six years ago and I had gotten down to one 53 after his birth. I’m not sure what happened but I’m starting the keto diet also. It is my third day and I’m pretty excited
  • quzy07
    quzy07 Posts: 17 Member
    Hello! I have done this dieting thing a ton of times and have decided to try something different! I have used this website but hardly ever posted (if at all). I figured maybe if I have some support and accountability it would make a difference this go around. Here's a little about me: I am 43, two grown children, married, and have been perimenopausal since I was 40 (which really pi**ed me off!). I have slowly gained 25 pounds over this 3 year period and am very frustrated. I have always been super active since my early 20's and remain so but my self-confidence has taken an hit with all of this weight gain and I find myself not wanting to work out quite as much. I feel like such a loser to my kids because they have watched me fail and fail again with this diet thing and I can't seem to get ahold of myself! I have terrible willpower! I am currently trying the Keto diet because nothing else seem to be working. I'm looking for some friends to help me on this journey! Thanks for listening!

Hi Sofia! I love your candid post, it is hard this journey. I'm very inspired by this today! I am 48 and have lost 100 pounds in two years and become a fitness freak. I imagine pre-menopause is just around the corner, but from what I have read, the methods I'm using suggest those symptoms will be reduced. I have no idea how friend requests work in this group, but that would be awesome! I'd love to have an accountability partner! I have more to lose and I'm losing my focus! :neutral:
  • quzy07
    @snobuni77 , may I ask, are you a skier by any chance? Do keep us posted on your progress! <3

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2018
    Hi Kellyrichards: If you decide that low carb/keto is for you, consider joining the low carb group here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
    The folks there are very knowledgeable about the ins and outs of that approach.

Also, we have a nice group of menopausal women here:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    quzy07 wrote: »

Hi Sofia! I love your candid post, it is hard this journey. I'm very inspired by this today! I am 48 and have lost 100 pounds in two years and become a fitness freak. I imagine pre-menopause is just around the corner, but from what I have read, the methods I'm using suggest those symptoms will be reduced. I have no idea how friend requests work in this group, but that would be awesome! I'd love to have an accountability partner! I have more to lose and I'm losing my focus! :neutral:
    Are you comfortable describing the methods you're using?
  • quzy07
    @Sabine_Stroehm , sure! ... but is this the place for it? it's a long explanation... can I message you? BTW I totally LOVE your profile picture!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    quzy07 wrote: »
    @Sabine_Stroehm , sure! ... but is this the place for it? it's a long explanation... can I message you? BTW I totally LOVE your profile picture!

Sure, feel free, and thanks! When I first saw it, I knew it would be my avatar!