Cardio or Weights?

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    For you and your weightloss, cardio is the most important. Reaching for atleast 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise a week should be a minimum for everyone, and for weight loss anything additional is absolutely helpful. Obviously if you cannot jump into that immediately by all means take your time and progress as you feel comfortable.

As far as weight training, everyone can benefit from weight training. Weight training can help you maintain muscle mass but if you have never weight trained before, you probably do not have much functional lean mass that will stick around. If you start weight training now, by time you lose the weight you will be at a higher level in terms of strength and muscle mass which you will likely be more happy with. But I think if the weight training is going to be taking away from your time to do cardio, I would wait until either you have additional time or are able to successfully do both.

Start slow, and build as you go. I would start with cardio until you are getting atleast 225 minutes a week (45 minutes 5x per week) and if you feel comfortable, you can begin to incorporate 2-3 full body workouts per week.

No.

Cardio is important for heart health, but has no importance in regard to weight loss. Some of us do it because it lets us eat more food while losing at a high rate, but it's not necessary to lose weight.

Big people do often have a great deal of muscle mass. Walking up a hill or getting out of a bathtub with an extra 100 pounds is a serious strength exercise. Holding onto that extra muscle mass by strength training while losing would be a lot easier than losing all that muscle and having to build it back up again.

The way I look at it is strength training helps you look good naked. Cardio lets you eat more food. They are both good for your health.

I never said cardio was necessary to lose weight. I said everyone should be doing atleast 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise per week.

It sounds like her goal is weight loss first and getting stronger second. Cardio puts you further into a calorie deficit which is what causes weight loss.

there is no way i'm doing 150 min of cardio a week. and i heard it was recommended 20 min 3 times a week , has it changed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited July 2017
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    For you and your weightloss, cardio is the most important. Reaching for atleast 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise a week should be a minimum for everyone, and for weight loss anything additional is absolutely helpful. Obviously if you cannot jump into that immediately by all means take your time and progress as you feel comfortable.

As far as weight training, everyone can benefit from weight training. Weight training can help you maintain muscle mass but if you have never weight trained before, you probably do not have much functional lean mass that will stick around. If you start weight training now, by time you lose the weight you will be at a higher level in terms of strength and muscle mass which you will likely be more happy with. But I think if the weight training is going to be taking away from your time to do cardio, I would wait until either you have additional time or are able to successfully do both.

Start slow, and build as you go. I would start with cardio until you are getting atleast 225 minutes a week (45 minutes 5x per week) and if you feel comfortable, you can begin to incorporate 2-3 full body workouts per week.

No.

Cardio is important for heart health, but has no importance in regard to weight loss. Some of us do it because it lets us eat more food while losing at a high rate, but it's not necessary to lose weight.

Big people do often have a great deal of muscle mass. Walking up a hill or getting out of a bathtub with an extra 100 pounds is a serious strength exercise. Holding onto that extra muscle mass by strength training while losing would be a lot easier than losing all that muscle and having to build it back up again.

The way I look at it is strength training helps you look good naked. Cardio lets you eat more food. They are both good for your health.

I never said cardio was necessary to lose weight. I said everyone should be doing atleast 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercise per week.

It sounds like her goal is weight loss first and getting stronger second. Cardio puts you further into a calorie deficit which is what causes weight loss.

there is no way i'm doing 150 min of cardio a week. and i heard it was recommended 20 min 3 times a week , has it changed.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activity-in-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp#.WWAJIojyuUk
    AHA Recommendation

For Overall Cardiovascular Health:

At least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity at least 5 days per week for a total of 150

OR
    At least 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity at least 3 days per week for a total of 75 minutes; or a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity

AND
    Moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity at least 2 days per week for additional health benefits.

For Lowering Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
    An average 40 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity 3 or 4 times per week

I would think lifting would play a roll here too...it's not like you're not getting your hear rate up.

I do basically follow the recommendations to keep my blood pressure better controlled.

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member

No.

Yeah it's recommended to get 150 of moderate intensity or 75 minutes of high intensity cardio a week. You probably get at least 10 minutes of high intensity cardio doing your 100 rep burn outs at the end of your training sessions haha :wink:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

Nope. Both. Bad advice there Bro.
  • Rammer123
    mmapags wrote: »

Nope. Both. Bad advice there Bro.

What was bad advice?
  • mmapags

Right there in the bold. If one can only do one or the other, do weight training and keep max lean muscle mass. If you can't or won't do both, do weight training. However, both. And that stuff about functional lean mass. How does one get that? Weight training.
  • Rammer123

Right there in the bold. If one can only do one or the other, do weight training and keep max lean muscle mass. If you can't or won't do both, do weight training. However, both. And that stuff about functional lean mass. How does one get that? Weight training.

If someone that is obese is not getting the recommended amount of cardiovascular activity for a healthy individual, they should not be using that time to do weight training.

I really don't care if you agree with my opinion or not, but just because you don't doesn't mean you are any more right than I am. Unless you have any qualifications to make these sorts of recommendations I don't think you should.

And I believe you recommending to only do weight training as opposed to only doing cardio for someone who is obese would make you the bro. BRO
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

No.

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/PhysicalActivity/FitnessBasics/American-Heart-Association-Recommendations-for-Physical-Activity-in-Adults_UCM_307976_Article.jsp#.WWAJIojyuUk
    AHA Recommendation

For Overall Cardiovascular Health:

At least 30 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity at least 5 days per week for a total of 150

OR
    At least 25 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity at least 3 days per week for a total of 75 minutes; or a combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity

AND
    Moderate- to high-intensity muscle-strengthening activity at least 2 days per week for additional health benefits.

For Lowering Blood Pressure and Cholesterol
    An average 40 minutes of moderate- to vigorous-intensity aerobic activity 3 or 4 times per week

I would think lifting would play a roll here too...it's not like you're not getting your hear rate up.

I do basically follow the recommendations to keep my blood pressure better controlled.

According to Garmin I burn more calories lifting for 30 minutes than I do swimming and about the same for walking. I suppose it's not aerobic, but it does help create my deficit and get that heart rate up. Has to count for something.
  • mmapags
    edited July 2017
    Well my answer was both. And you want to do the qualifications thing? I looked up your profile and it said didn't fill this out yet. Check the reading comprehension there bro. I said both. Multiple times. But if you can only do one, do weight training. Far more benefits. Cardio only is the least desirable of the positive options. If you have qualifications, you should know that.
  • Rammer123
    Well my answer was both. And you want to do the qualifications thing? I looked up your profile and it said didn't fill this out yet. Check the reading comprehension there bro. I said both. But if you can only do one, do weight training. Only cardio is the least desirable of the positive options. If you have qualifications, you should know that.

Please enlighten me as to why only cardio is less beneficial.

I dont know what your issue is with me, but just becasue you weight trained and did cardio while you lost your weight doesn't mean its the only way let alone the best way.

And let me guess, OP should also be doing stronglifts 5x5 as well? Not even sure how that became a good idea for an obese untrained trainee to jump straight into a heavy strength training routine. Makes zero sense to me.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Don't over complicate things. At this point you would do perfectly fine with a simple, machine based program 2 times per week. You can do more or more complex exercises too, but since you admitted feeling uncertain, I would recommend starting with the most basic program.
  • mmapags
    Really? You don't know about the benefits of lean muscle mass and muscle development and the benefits for weight loss combined with a calorie deficit? Google is your friend. Use it.
  • Rammer123
    Really? You don't know about the benefits of lean muscle mass and muscle development and the benefits for weight loss combined with a calorie deficit? Google is your friend. Use it.

I asked why cardio is less beneficial
  • jennybearlv
    Well my answer was both. And you want to do the qualifications thing? I looked up your profile and it said didn't fill this out yet. Check the reading comprehension there bro. I said both. But if you can only do one, do weight training. Only cardio is the least desirable of the positive options. If you have qualifications, you should know that.

I dont know what your issue is with me, but just becasue you weight trained and did cardio while you lost your weight doesn't mean its the only way let alone the best way.

And let me guess, OP should also be doing stronglifts 5x5 as well? Not even sure how that became a good idea for an obese untrained trainee to jump straight into a heavy strength training routine. Makes zero sense to me.

Wow. Now heavy people are fragile snowflakes that can't lift heavy weights? Are you going to tell us how myself and the OP shouldn't lift because were girls next? BTW. I started lifting with SL 5x5. It was an awesome program for myself as an obese person because I couldn't see my gains but I quickly noticed the difference in strength when doing daily tasks.
  • mmapags

Wow. Now heavy people are fragile snowflakes that can't lift heavy weights? Are you going to tell us how myself and the OP shouldn't lift because were girls next? BTW. I started lifting with SL 5x5. It was an awesome program for myself as an obese person because I couldn't see my gains but I quickly noticed the difference in strength when doing daily tasks.

Nice! ;)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    edited July 2017
    I started out doing some cardio on machines at the Y - treadmill, eliptical, bike. Trying to get an hour 4 - 5 day a week. That lasted about 3 weeks and I was bored to death and looking for any excuse to quit.

Then I tried a Zumba class and it was ridiculous. I was terrible. I mean really bad, but everyone in the class was very nice and we enjoyed making fun of ourselves and how silly we look sometimes. I do that 3-5 times a week now.

Then I got really brave and tried out a couple of boot camp style classes - a combination of cardio, body weight exercises and some low weight/high reps kind of stuff. The classes keep me focused and committed so it works for me.

I'm glad I've found a nice balance of cardio and strength that I also really love doing. I think ultimately that's most important because we need to keep being active whether trying to lose weight or not.
  • Rammer123

Not sure why you feel personally attacked but recommending for an obese person that you know nothing about to add weight on their back while squatting and pull weight off the ground is not a good idea. Doing that for a person in a healthy range who could have a who bunch of different muscular issues is bad enough, doing the same for someone who is already carrying extra weight is worse.

You're very quickly making yourself some sort of victim of my recommendations for no reason. You would have seen the same strength increases doing daily tasks with any proper weight training routine without the added risk of possible injury. Not saying you weren't ready to start such a program but I'd say a vast majority of people in general are not ready to really jump into a program like that and even more of the untrained obese group.
  • jennybearlv

Not sure why you feel personally attacked but recommending for an obese person that you know nothing about to add weight on their back while squatting and pull weight off the ground is not a good idea. Doing that for a person in a healthy range who could have a who bunch of different muscular issues is bad enough, doing the same for someone who is already carrying extra weight is worse.

You're very quickly making yourself some sort of victim of my recommendations for no reason. You would have seen the same strength increases doing daily tasks with any proper weight training routine without the added risk of possible injury. Not saying you weren't ready to start such a program but I'd say a vast majority of people in general are not ready to really jump into a program like that and even more of the untrained obese group.

Yep. Officially insulted. Plenty of people come on here and tell big people what they can't do. I'm always happy to prove them wrong. I also ran C25K while doing SL even though plenty of naysayers said I would injure myself. Guess what? I'm stronger, faster, lighter, and in better health than I was before.
  • Rammer123

Yep. Officially insulted. Plenty of people come on here and tell big people what they can't do. I'm always happy to prove them wrong. I also ran C25K while doing SL even though plenty of naysayers said I would injure myself. Guess what? I'm stronger, faster, lighter, and in better health than I was before.

I'm genuinely sorry and did not mean to offend you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    One of the reason why this argument is so pointless is that people use their n=1 anecdotes as universal truths.

There is no either/or approach or even "x" is better than "y" standard.