Cardio or Weights?

Options

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Well my answer was both. And you want to do the qualifications thing? I looked up your profile and it said didn't fill this out yet. Check the reading comprehension there bro. I said both. But if you can only do one, do weight training. Only cardio is the least desirable of the positive options. If you have qualifications, you should know that.

Please enlighten me as to why only cardio is less beneficial.

I dont know what your issue is with me, but just becasue you weight trained and did cardio while you lost your weight doesn't mean its the only way let alone the best way.

And let me guess, OP should also be doing stronglifts 5x5 as well? Not even sure how that became a good idea for an obese untrained trainee to jump straight into a heavy strength training routine. Makes zero sense to me.

Wow. Now heavy people are fragile snowflakes that can't lift heavy weights? Are you going to tell us how myself and the OP shouldn't lift because were girls next? BTW. I started lifting with SL 5x5. It was an awesome program for myself as an obese person because I couldn't see my gains but I quickly noticed the difference in strength when doing daily tasks.

Not sure why you feel personally attacked but recommending for an obese person that you know nothing about to add weight on their back while squatting and pull weight off the ground is not a good idea. Doing that for a person in a healthy range who could have a who bunch of different muscular issues is bad enough, doing the same for someone who is already carrying extra weight is worse.

You're very quickly making yourself some sort of victim of my recommendations for no reason. You would have seen the same strength increases doing daily tasks with any proper weight training routine without the added risk of possible injury. Not saying you weren't ready to start such a program but I'd say a vast majority of people in general are not ready to really jump into a program like that and even more of the untrained obese group.

Yep. Officially insulted. Plenty of people come on here and tell big people what they can't do. I'm always happy to prove them wrong. I also ran C25K while doing SL even though plenty of naysayers said I would injure myself. Guess what? I'm stronger, faster, lighter, and in better health than I was before.

I'm genuinely sorry and did not mean to offend you.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    One of the reason why this argument is so pointless is that people use their n=1 anecdotes as universal truths.

There is no either/or approach or even "x" is better than "y" standard.
  • clayelliott847
    clayelliott847 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Do what motivates you. Try classes, running, body building, power lifting. I get bored cardio and running. So, I started weight lifting during my lunch hour. I have not lifted weights much in my life, so I am weak for a guy. Like 16 year old girls squat, dead lift and bench more than me. But I get in there and lift. Like I said I go during lunch, so that can be any where from 9 am to 1 pm, when ever I sneak away.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Well my answer was both. And you want to do the qualifications thing? I looked up your profile and it said didn't fill this out yet. Check the reading comprehension there bro. I said both. But if you can only do one, do weight training. Only cardio is the least desirable of the positive options. If you have qualifications, you should know that.

I dont know what your issue is with me, but just becasue you weight trained and did cardio while you lost your weight doesn't mean its the only way let alone the best way.

And let me guess, OP should also be doing stronglifts 5x5 as well? Not even sure how that became a good idea for an obese untrained trainee to jump straight into a heavy strength training routine. Makes zero sense to me.

Wow. Now heavy people are fragile snowflakes that can't lift heavy weights? Are you going to tell us how myself and the OP shouldn't lift because were girls next? BTW. I started lifting with SL 5x5. It was an awesome program for myself as an obese person because I couldn't see my gains but I quickly noticed the difference in strength when doing daily tasks.

Not sure why you feel personally attacked but recommending for an obese person that you know nothing about to add weight on their back while squatting and pull weight off the ground is not a good idea. Doing that for a person in a healthy range who could have a who bunch of different muscular issues is bad enough, doing the same for someone who is already carrying extra weight is worse.

You're very quickly making yourself some sort of victim of my recommendations for no reason. You would have seen the same strength increases doing daily tasks with any proper weight training routine without the added risk of possible injury. Not saying you weren't ready to start such a program but I'd say a vast majority of people in general are not ready to really jump into a program like that and even more of the untrained obese group.

Yep. Officially insulted. Plenty of people come on here and tell big people what they can't do. I'm always happy to prove them wrong. I also ran C25K while doing SL even though plenty of naysayers said I would injure myself. Guess what? I'm stronger, faster, lighter, and in better health than I was before.

I'm genuinely sorry and did not mean to offend you.

Thank you.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I stated lifting weights when I was about your weight. I honestly wish I would have started sooner. I still do cardio but I absolutely think lifting weights helped with my lose skin more (tightening up) and I feel like it made the inches fall quicker. I still do cardio and I know it's important but I prefer lifting weights and I feel I am where I am now because I decided to incorporate them in.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

You are my hero and a role model! No excuses, no listening to the naysayers. Gettin' it done.
  • Mrsabror
    Mrsabror Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice and personal experience! Definitely a lot to think about. Please everyone try and keep it civil though, I asked for different points of view, and I got them. If you want to chew each other out please go make another thread for that.... Thanks.
  • Mrsabror
    Mrsabror Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    @cerakoala. I'm already quite strong, a side effect of growing up with three rough brothers, lugging my own weight around, and not being afraid to lift heavy objects. I'm definitely leaning towards starting a weight routine, just need to educate myself on the topic I guess, so I'm not so uncomfortable in the weight section.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    You DO need both... but if you're new to exercise you may find you hate one and not the other. I hate cardio, so I keep my strength training at about 70% and cardio 30%. But that's just me. If you find you dislike one of the two... just try to do programs/classes where you "accidentally" get the *other* exercise you dislike while doing one you enjoy. There are lots of programs that use both cardio & strength combined. So I'd look at those first. Then find your favorites.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options
    tsazani wrote: »
    The recommendation is 150 min per week of moderate (green zone) exercise. If your exercise is intense (mostly red and yellow zones) you can go 90 min per week.

Mmmhmm. This is why I do Body Combat 2x per week. 120 minutes of moderate - high intensity cardio done in 2 classes. Anything else is "extra" as far as I'm concerned. :#
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Mrsabror wrote: »
    I think it's very telling that when I walk into PF, the weight section is primarily peopled by fit, muscle-bound men and women in designer leggings, and the treadmills are mostly populated by the morbidly obese and overweight. Either weight-training is a greater aid to weightloss, or all the other chunks out there are as self-concious as I am when I'm fumbling with the weight rack.

It's not so much that the fit people opt for weight training over cardio, but rather that they rarely choose to get said cardio on a hampster wheel (ie they discovered some cardio-type activity that they actually enjoy doing probably ages ago. . Especially true in the summer)(you'll find more of them in the hampster wheel section come winter).

That being said, at your current weight you definitely have some beautiful muscles you don't want to lose and have to regain later. PF most likely has trainers - one can set you up with a plan or if interested in free weights check out the books Starting Strength, Stronglifts, AWorkoutPlan website. The latter 2 provide extremely simple full body routines, and the former gives a lot of good detail on form (and having a trainer check your form is of course an option)(also in these plans, you start at extremely low added weight while you are working on form).
  • mkerseyhorn
    mkerseyhorn Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Go to a gym with Les Millls classes and do BODY PUMP 3 times a week!!!!! Amazing and motivating weight workout that will CHANGE your body. It has mine and I'm completely devoted. I cannot even make myself do free weights or a machine circuit -- so boring!!! But the music, moves and pump instructors keep weight training fun and very challenging. You don't need to spend money on personal trainers or expensive equipment if you can afford the monthly fee for a gym with Les Mills group ex classes. Seriously :-)
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Lift and feel superhuman for an hour or 2.

But in all seriousness do what you like. Any exercises is better than none. I was in a similar spot to you and am still really close. I lift because I enjoy it. I also do not enjoy cardio. Almost all versions hurt my leg. Lifting doesn't hurt in a bad way like that.

If you do something you do not enjoy the chances are higher you will not make a life change and instead waste money on a hobby for a month or 2.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    edited July 2017
    Options
    *deleted*

I quoted the wrong person, so I just gave up and posted a new comment.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    Options
    I'm a Les Mills junkee too. Pump 4x per week, Combat 2x per week, Flow 2x per week. And now I bought the whole Pump weight set so I can do it at home even more. I'm very addicted.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    At the stage of the awesome journey you're on, there isn't really a "better". Pick whatever you're most likely to actually stick with for six months, and whatever that is, work it as consistently and as hard as is safely reasonable.

It's all good at this point. Later on, after a bunch of weight has come off, is the time to start thinking about a finer tuning of things.

Good luck!
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Do both. When you first start lifting weights do a full body workout 3 days a week, in addition to daily cardio. I used to be morbidly obese, did mostly cardio and went down to obese and got stuck there. I hired a world class trainer: 1st thing he did was completely revamp my nutrition. 2nd: weight lifting. I have dropped more bodyfat in the past 4 months lifting weights than I did in the year prior to me lifting and only doing cardio. I am now "average" - I am down to a fitted size 10. I am working on getting into single digits sizes by my birthday. I haven't been a single digits size since I was 11.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Stronglifts 5x5 doesn't have you start off heavy. You start with half the weight that you can handle for 5 reps. I was squatting 305 when I switched to SL 5x5 and it had me start the program at 150 lbs for squat. Most untrained people would start with the bar empty anyways. You only progess if you successfully complete all 5 sets of 5 reps and then add 5 lbs to your next lift. SL 5x5 starts low so you can learn how to use proper form while the weight is light so it will be ingrained in you when the weight is heavy.

Pay a trainer to show you how to use proper form for the exercises you end up doing.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Strength training is going to do wonders for your body and self confidence. Research different programs and when you find one you like, stick with it for a few weeks before you decide if you like it or want to try a different workout. Thinner, Leaner, Stronger by Mike Matthews or Stronglifts 5x5 are great programs. I like SL 5x5 because it's 3 days a week and there is a great app for it. TLS has an app for IOS but not android. Hire a trainer to show you how to do the exercises and to watch your form and technique. Watch videos on YouTube as well. And above all don't let anyone tell you that girls can't lift heavy or have to do high reps.

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) is a great way to burn calories in addition to lifting. There is a ton of info on the web and many different kinds of cardio you can do for it. I have bad knees so I use the exercise bike because it is easy on my knees. 30 second all out sprint followed by 90 seconds of easy peddling for 20 minutes. Warm up 5 mins before and 5 mins after on the bike and call it a day. Good luck on your journey!
  • momofamadhouse
    momofamadhouse Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    OP, whatever you are likely to stick with is what is most effective. You've already gotten a lot of advice so I wanted to share my own experience. I started near where you are at 277. I did a 12 week program through my gym that was basically an introduction into different cardio and weight machines. At first I really liked the weight machines, but I soon got bored with them. I didn't continue to use them after the program. When I was finished I started exploring classes like bodypump, kettlebells, yoga, zumba, kickboxing, bodyweight exercises, etc. I started running with C25K in addition to these classes. The weight dropped fairly quickly as long as I kept my diet in check, and as long as I didn't over train the cardio helped keep my appetite in check (this is NOT true for everyone).

What I'm trying to say is, I found what keeps me going, and that is learning something new. Finding a new way to use my body, learning what I'm actually capable of. You may try lifting and hate it. You may love it and despise cardio. It doesn't matter which route you go. There are benefits to every form of exercise and the most "effective" will depend entirely on YOUR GOALS (which are likely to evolve) and finding something you ENJOY.

I took one "kung-fu fit" class. I felt awkward and never went back. If someone had told me that the most effective exercise for my goals I might have returned but I would have burned out fairly quickly. But that was over a year ago. If I went back I might find something I love about it now, who knows?

All that being said, I wish had never stopped lifting weights. I've consistently done resistance training but I've never been consistent with what that training was, and I've lost much more lean mass than I anticipated (even though this community warned me!). I'm starting SL 5x5 this week, and slowing down with my cardio. Good luck on your journey!