Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Greens Superfood Detox, has anyone tried it?

Hey all,

I have been feeling extremely bloated, tired and overall "yucky". I have been doing some research and found the Greens Superfood Detox.
Has anyone on here tried anything like that?
What do you think?
Does it really help with energy and digestion?

Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    You don't need to detox anything, your body does that for you. You'll just poop a lot.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    It won't do anything, as your liver and kidneys naturally detox your body.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    You don't need a detox it's not a thing.

If you feel like you have been eating a low quality diet and it's making you feel run down, just focus on getting a lot of "quality" into your diet for a week or two and see if it helps. Lots of regular fruits and veggies, healthy fats like fish nuts and avocado, lean protein. Drink plenty of water. Same results, less expensive, less unnecessary pooping.

And if after that you still feel run down, schedule a checkup!
  • StrongGirlFitGirl
    StrongGirlFitGirl Posts: 183 Member
    Are you able to see a doctor and get some bloodwork done? You could simply have a little vitamin deficiency or something.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    I have looked into those green powders. One little scoop does not contain enough greens. Think about it. Could you take a bowl of kale, dehydrate it, and make it into a tini wini little scoop? No.

Actually, since a huge bowl of raw kale or spinach turns into barely a couple forkfuls if I saute it, I think if I removed substantially all of the water and pulverized it, it would easily fit into a tiny scoop.

But it's not going to detox you.
  • BusyMomma_RH
    BusyMomma_RH Posts: 16 Member
    Thank you!
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    I have looked into those green powders. One little scoop does not contain enough greens. Think about it. Could you take a bowl of kale, dehydrate it, and make it into a tini wini little scoop? No.

Actually, since a huge bowl of raw kale or spinach turns into barely a couple forkfuls if I saute it, I think if I removed substantially all of the water and pulverized it, it would easily fit into a tiny scoop.

The part that I looked at was the Vitamin K in the green powder. It was clearly 5% RDA. Kale and spinach both contain incredible amounts of vitamin K (kale 700% in one serving). So clearly they are not putting an entire serving of greens in one little scoop. Also the ingredients had fillers. I did not look at other vitamins, but the ingredients had added vitamin C (asorbic acid), which is natural in greens and fruit. Other vitamins were also on the extremely low side, considering their claims of containing a full serving. It just doesn't add up when you look at that label in detail. I don't know if these powder companies are trying to scam us just a little bit. I'm keeping an open eye, that's all.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,828 Member
    Then, a doctor's visit is a definite must. The tiredness could be anemia from lack of b12, iron, not enough protein, etc. Do you take a daily multivitamin? Not feeling well is not normal. First make sure you are not pregnant.
    Even a supplement you might be taking could have give you these symptoms.

*There is a site called CronoMeter that gives you much more detailed info on micronutrients. Easy to use.

No, don't take a multivitamin! If TO really is B12 deficient then the B12 in these will mask it. No problem if she doesn't have an absorption problem as the B12 will go where it needs to. But if she has then she's only raising her blood levels a tiny bit and a doctor will conclude she's healthy. You know what B12 deficiency can do to you? Destroy your nerves; not only those in arms and legs (starts with pins and needle), but pretty much every nerve, from eye nerves, to bladder and bowel control, to the heart and spine. Taking multivitamins really is the most stupid (sorry) thing one can do, especially as the ingredients in most are pretty dire and many things cannot be absorbed together. Another thing: after having taken a supplement with B12, any blood test will be wrong for at least 4 months. If someone already has nerve damage, 4 months or even longer of not being treated properly can do a lot of damage!

TO, you mention you eat a lot of fruits and veggies and protein. What about fat? Fat is essential for your body, not only for proper brain function and vitamin absorption, but also for bowel movement. If this doesn't help then go see a doctor.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited July 2017
    @yirara -you have done some serious reading - calcium and magnesium should not be taken together. I have osteopenia. Thank you for the info. I will look into that. B-12 is interesting, but I had never had a doctor test me for this, even after I told her I felt tired. All I got was a free vitamin D test out of it. I don't think insurance pays for this extra bloodwork, right?
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Have you vitamin D level checked by a simple blood test, many people are deficient and it can cause that run down feeling.
  • yirara
    edited July 2017
    @yirara -you have done some serious reading - calcium and magnesium should not be taken together. I have osteopenia. Thank you for the info. I will look into that. B-12 is interesting, but I had never had a doctor test me for this, even after I told her I felt tired. All I got was a free vitamin D test out of it. I don't think insurance pays for this extra bloodwork, right?

I don't know. I suppose you're in the US? In the UK it's a real fight to get B12 tested, and then treated if necessary. So many people don't get the treatment they need :/
    Yes, I did a lot of reading. Was diagnosed big time deficient in B12 and thyroid a few years ago and was left alone with it (wasn't in a western country). Guess one starts to read to get it right.

I read some papers yesterday evening that a diet high in sodium leads to excessive peeing, and with that to increased removal of calcium from the body and a higher risk of osteoporosis. The papers I read were about potassion citrate neutralizing the salt (doesn't work with other potassiums), but the recommendation was to have a low salt diet over everything else.

Thyroid or low ferritin might also be reasons for being very tired.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,217 Member
    yirara wrote: »

I don't know. I suppose you're in the US? In the UK it's a real fight to get B12 tested, and then treated if necessary. So many people don't get the treatment they need :/

As an aside - why??

Here in Australia is very easy to get it tested and treated if neccesary - one goes to doctor and says am feeling excessively tired - B12 would be one of the standard base line tests to investigate this ( along with other common causes - Vit D, HB levels, Thyroid function tests etc )
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited July 2017
    Hey all,

I have been feeling extremely bloated, tired and overall "yucky". I have been doing some research and found the Greens Superfood Detox.
    Has anyone on here tried anything like that?
    What do you think?
    Does it really help with energy and digestion?

Thanks in advance! :)

if you are bloated you may also have a food allergy or intolerance that can also cause you to feel like that. but detoxes dont help with digestion or metabolism or give you energy unless it has caffeine or a caffeine derivative in it,or possibly a B vitamin that can give you a little energy.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member

The part that I looked at was the Vitamin K in the green powder. It was clearly 5% RDA. Kale and spinach both contain incredible amounts of vitamin K (kale 700% in one serving). So clearly they are not putting an entire serving of greens in one little scoop. Also the ingredients had fillers. I did not look at other vitamins, but the ingredients had added vitamin C (asorbic acid), which is natural in greens and fruit. Other vitamins were also on the extremely low side, considering their claims of containing a full serving. It just doesn't add up when you look at that label in detail. I don't know if these powder companies are trying to scam us just a little bit. I'm keeping an open eye, that's all.

OK, that certainly seems to be the case with that particular powder. I don't take a detox powder, so I wouldn't know. I was just commenting on the statement about the volume of dehydrated, powdered greens.
  • yirara
    yirara wrote: »

As an aside - why??

Here in Australia is very easy to get it tested and treated if neccesary - one goes to doctor and says am feeling excessively tired - B12 would be one of the standard base line tests to investigate this ( along with other common causes - Vit D, HB levels, Thyroid function tests etc )

No idea to be honest. Costsaving? The guidelines for diagnosis and treatment are completely wrong, as if the NHS doesn't want people to be diagnosed. A charity tried to find out what research the guidelines are based on, but was sent from a to b to c and back to a again. There's a huge private testing and self-injecting community there.