Wearing Cologne/Perfume at the gym

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    sprayed in moderation ok
    choice between BO and perfume. perfume it is.
    come to think of it i dont have a choice its a public place

NO!!! just NO!!

I'd rather the gym smell like a gym than a nightclub.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Okay only if one is a French prostitute.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Gosh no. Huge pet peeve of mine. Ugh.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    How do you guys manage at work with people that drench themselves in perfume. Do you tell them
  • stanmann571
    How do you guys manage at work with people that drench themselves in perfume. Do you tell them

I work in a professional environment. Excessive perfume/cologne is a health and safety hazard, since some people are actually, and dangerously allergic to certain artificial fragrances.

So If it came to it yeah.
  • Therealobi1

I work in a professional environment. Excessive perfume/cologne is a health and safety hazard, since some people are actually, and dangerously allergic to certain artificial fragrances.

Professional environment. Is it wriiten in your code of conduct
  • stanmann571

It's actually the law. ADA/Reasonable accommodation.
  • Therealobi1

Never heard if it. So why cant that be used in the gym.
    Also what about the people who work as fishmongers
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member

I did in a kindly way. I went up to the offender like I was going to tell her a secret and "I am really sorry but I have a sensitivity to your perfume and it is giving me migraines. Any chance you could forego it at work?". Worked with all but one and I let the manager deal with that. This was before the ADA was passed so he used "peaceful co-existence" as the reason for the request.
  • stanmann571

Not sure what fishmongers have to do with artificial fragrances and illnesses caused by chemicals and smells.

As far as using it in the gym, That's a good question. I know that under the ADA, employees have a greater level of protection than customers and "club members"... but IANYL
  • stanmann571
    earlnabby wrote: »

I did in a kindly way. I went up to the offender like I was going to tell her a secret and "I am really sorry but I have a sensitivity to your perfume and it is giving me migraines. Any chance you could forego it at work?". Worked with all but one and I let the manager deal with that. This was before the ADA was passed so he used "peaceful co-existence" as the reason for the request.

The expansion of the ADA definitely makes it easier to raise the question.

Now that there's the possibility of fines managers are much more willing to find accommodation.
  • earlnabby
    edited July 2017

Occupational lingering scents are a different story and they usually do not kick off allergies, they more fall into the BO category. I worked for a spice merchant and I always had a lingering smell of spices on me. We could NOT wear perfume at work (FDA regulations) because of possible cross-contamination. Food items can absorb other odors.

Most of the comments as I passed when shopping after work were along the lines of "Somebody's cooking something that smells good" or "who broke a jar in the spice aisle?"

ETA: the ADA is the "American's with Disabilities Act" which protects the rights of the disabled including requiring employers to find "reasonable accommodation" for an employee who is or becomes disabled in order to continue at their job or has a health condition that requires accommodation.

• Therealobi1

Not sure what fishmongers have to do with artificial fragrances and illnesses caused by chemicals and smells.

As far as using it in the gym, That's a good question. I know that under the ADA, employees have a greater level of protection than customers and "club members"... but IANYL

You said reasonable accommodation. So is only regarding artificial fragrances?
  • stanmann571

ADA(American's with Disabilities Act) requires reasonable accommodation for medical conditions/limitations.

In other words, If you're a cashier at home depot and you're wheelchair bound or extremely vertically challenged, the employer must provide accommodation for your limitation.

When it comes to smells, it's not annoyance, it's physical harm. There's a grey area when it comes to discomfort or nausea. But mere distaste or annoyance doesn't meet the legal requirement.
  • earlnabby
    edited July 2017

ADA(American's with Disabilities Act) requires reasonable accommodation for medical conditions/limitations.

In other words, If you're a cashier at home depot and you're wheelchair bound or extremely vertically challenged, the employer must provide accommodation for your limitation.

When it comes to smells, it's not annoyance, it's physical harm. There's a grey area when it comes to discomfort or nausea. But mere distaste or annoyance doesn't meet the legal requirement.

To expand on this, scents fall into the same category as things like cigarette smoke: things that are put into the air by people rather than are naturally occurring (except smoke has been proven to be harmful to everyone where perfumes, etc. are only harmful to some)

More on the ADA: if you have a chronic issue, including mental health, "reasonable accommodation" can also include allowing you to leave work with no consequences for things like doctor, therapist, PT appointments, even if it is several times a week.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Cologne should only be smellable during a hug situation anyway so...
  • lmoughterson
    lmoughterson Posts: 3 Member
    No. I'm allergic to the scent of most perfumes/colognes. I get a terrible headache and feel disoriented, and my skin breaks out when I wear them. Since they are more synthetic, these days, I can understand why they bother me now, and didn't when I was younger.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    I have on perfume for my midday work out. It's not like I put it on right before I walk through the doors but it's from after my morning workout and shower....I don't think it's overpowering but who knows?