Occasional middle back pain - feels like cramp?

Options
maryjaquiss
maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
edited July 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Maybe a bit of a long shot, but has anyone had any experiences of cramp-like middle back pain (it's on the right hand side if that makes a difference)? It's quite painful when it comes on but is only lasting for maximum about two seconds at a time. I feel like it must be a result of exercise but I've not noticed anything specifically aggravating it (I run, I'm doing the You Are Your Own Gym bodyweight routine and occasionally a bit of yoga when I feel like I need a stretch). I get that I should probably see a doctor but it doesn't seem worth it given it's not that frequent and lasting for such a short amount of time.

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i get it constantly. usually after a lot of rowing type work. lacrosse ball SMR seems to help.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Might be worth seeing a physical therapist - I have a tight spot in my back that's partially caused by a tight piriformis on the right along with a tight right pec. I'm sure there's other things contributing too. We're working on loosening up those muscles, and my overall pain has decreased a lot in the last couple months.

Do you stretch and/or foam roll after exercise?

~Lyssa
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I get something similar and I attribute it to an unhealed rib injury because if I poke around my ribs will hurt. Or it's gall bladder cancer cause that's what Dr. Google tells me. (I'm joking about the cancer...both my dad and father in law had that and had different symptoms)
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    @macgurlnet I have to admit, I'm pretty bad at stretching if I need to rush off and do something else... need to look into foam rolling, I've been meaning to for a while!

@AliNouveau and this is why I have avoided googling!! :o It feels like it's kind of in the rib region but beneath the ribs?

I'm wondering if it may be caused by posture (full-time desk job) or picking up an increasingly heavy toddler without thinking about how to lift him properly...
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    @macgurlnet I have to admit, I'm pretty bad at stretching if I need to rush off and do something else... need to look into foam rolling, I've been meaning to for a while!

@AliNouveau and this is why I have avoided googling!! :o It feels like it's kind of in the rib region but beneath the ribs?

I'm wondering if it may be caused by posture (full-time desk job) or picking up an increasingly heavy toddler without thinking about how to lift him properly...

That sounds like me...I lifted my backpack wrong, tweaked my shoulder, work a desk job and upped my activity without properly stretching. And now, here I am!!

This video shows the stretch I do for my pec - I really, really recommend seeing a PT if possible so they can help, as it'll be much easier to give advice if they can see how you move, check the muscles themselves, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRY9-4VTCcw

Here's some post-run stretches - I don't do all of them, but I do stretch those muscles. https://www.runnersworld.co.uk/health/the-rw-complete-guide-to-stretching-for-runners

~Lyssa
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    I can get money towards physio through my work so no excuse really, is there?!
  • macgurlnet
    Options
    I can get money towards physio through my work so no excuse really, is there?!

Nope!! Once I realized that seeing a PT would only be $65/visit for me, I made sure I got in and plan to keep going until I'm pain free.

Best wishes <3

~Lyssa
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    A visit or two to the PT is well worth it. I was able to go twice or three times, and the PT gave me exercises to do that I can do on my own at home. It was a very helpful education.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Maybe a bit of a long shot, but has anyone had any experiences of cramp-like middle back pain (it's on the right hand side if that makes a difference)? It's quite painful when it comes on but is only lasting for maximum about two seconds at a time. I feel like it must be a result of exercise but I've not noticed anything specifically aggravating it (I run, I'm doing the You Are Your Own Gym bodyweight routine and occasionally a bit of yoga when I feel like I need a stretch). I get that I should probably see a doctor but it doesn't seem worth it given it's not that frequent and lasting for such a short amount of time.

I get this from time to time but I do a LOT of pushups and rows, as well as inverted rows during my routine. It stresses the muscles in the upper and mid-back. It's likely just a cramp or fatigue. If it was re-occuring dead center or left side you might need to talk to your doctor (IE: heart issues), but on the right it's likely a rib pull/muscle cramp/etc. Take an extra rest day, increase water intake, and consider increasing Zinc, Magnesium. I take a supplement called ZMA for this reason (can be found on Amazon pretty easily), or will simply take extra Magnesium and Zinc to help support muscles. A multivitamin may have enough, but they typically push me too far over what I'm comfortable with for Vitamin C so I skip those and simply take Zinc and Magnesium (or ZMA) along with my Glucosamine MSM supplement (which has plenty of Vitamin C in it).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Define mid back?

It could be a shoulder or neck injury.

I have a partially dislocated shoulder from working a desk for 20+ years.

It manifests as a cramp sensation below my right shoulder blade.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I've always got a cramp or spasm somewhere. One spot works itself out and something pops up in another spot. I don't think my whole body can be happy at the same time for very long.
  • lovetolose17
    lovetolose17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I get this nearly daily. A chiropractic adjustment helps, as does lying on a foam roller and moving my arms like making snow angels. I also use a tennis ball to hit the specific spot. It's definitely muscular for me (though I have self diagnosed several cancers). One chiro told me my ribs move out of where they are supposed to be. A sports medicine doctor called it costochondritis, but another doc said that would only be on the front of my chest. Whatever. :)
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I get this nearly daily. A chiropractic adjustment helps, as does lying on a foam roller and moving my arms like making snow angels. I also use a tennis ball to hit the specific spot. It's definitely muscular for me (though I have self diagnosed several cancers). One chiro told me my ribs move out of where they are supposed to be. A sports medicine doctor called it costochondritis, but another doc said that would only be on the front of my chest. Whatever. :)

Doctors (and most health professionals) are not that great with ill-defined muscle issues. An acute sprain, tear, herniated disc, etc, yes, but not most aches and pains. Unfortunately. I'm not putting down any one who is highly trained in many areas, but this is not one of them. Even when a professional does specialize, even a phys therapist, etc., you often end up with a person's perspective and not necessarily something that helps YOU. If you don't fit a preconceived mold, SOL. Voice of experience speaking.
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    @stanmann571 It's below my shoulder blade, 'behind' my ribs, just to the right of my spine!

@Spliner1969 I have been doing more push ups and inverted rows, so they may well be the culprit! Though interestingly I tried a bodyweight workout last night with the aim of stopping if my back complained, and it completely got rid of it for the whole of the rest of the day until I got back to my desk... so maybe it's a desk thing!
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    Thank you everyone else for your advice and comments :)
  • stanmann571
    edited July 2017
    Options
    @stanmann571 It's below my shoulder blade, 'behind' my ribs, just to the right of my spine!

@Spliner1969 I have been doing more push ups and inverted rows, so they may well be the culprit! Though interestingly I tried a bodyweight workout last night with the aim of stopping if my back complained, and it completely got rid of it for the whole of the rest of the day until I got back to my desk... so maybe it's a desk thing!

What do you mean "behind" your ribs?

But yeah, that sounds about right.

If you're doing Pushups/rows without "packing your shoulder" You can definitely make it worse.

• maryjaquiss
    Options
    @stanmann571 Sorry, it's hard to explain! I mean it feels to me like cramp in an internal muscle, not right at the surface like a bruise and not deep inside like internal organs! Maybe the muscles between the ribs?
  • stanmann571
    Options
    @stanmann571 Sorry, it's hard to explain! I mean it feels to me like cramp in an internal muscle, not right at the surface like a bruise and not deep inside like internal organs! Maybe the muscles between the ribs?

Like one of the muscles that ties the ribs to the shoulder blade? or lower and deeper?
  • maryjaquiss
    Options

Like one of the muscles that ties the ribs to the shoulder blade? or lower and deeper?

If it comes on again, I'll circle approximately on a diagram! Can't remember exactly at the moment :)
  • stanmann571
    Options

If it comes on again, I'll circle approximately on a diagram! Can't remember exactly at the moment :)

Thanks. Mine[which is mostly caused by my shoulder, but also by some deficiencies in my chest(pec)] runs from "under" my shoulder blade to about 4 inches below and feels like a fairly constant cramp.