Increasing running speed suggestions?

After completing the C25K app, I'm working on my speed now, which seems to be a whole different ballgame! I downloaded the 5k pacer app, which, to my understanding, gives you tempo runs each run, and over 8 weeks increases the length and/or frequency of runs and distance a bit near the end. I'm definitely used to my speed right now, which is around 4.8, so although the app says my speed will increase with time, I know by habit I will want to run at my regular speed... my question is, how often should I increase my regular speed? Every week or so try to shave off 30 seconds off my average mile or so? I have a hard time understanding how I will start off my runs by wanting to run faster, and not hurt myself. Thanks!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    IMO, shaving 30 seconds off your mile each week is not a realistic goal. The way to run faster, typically, is to run more (without increasing too much each week, which can put you at risk for injury). When I focus on consistently getting my weekly long run in, my short runs naturally speed up.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    IMO, shaving 30 seconds off your mile each week is not a realistic goal. The way to run faster, typically, is to run more (without increasing too much each week, which can put you at risk for injury). When I focus on consistently getting my weekly long run in, my short runs naturally speed up.

30 seconds a mile per week is massive. That's 8 seconds per 1/4.

I'm usually happy getting that kind of increase in 3-4 weeks.

That being said.

To increase speed. You need to increase speed and capacity. Which means Pace/tempo work and distance work. Pace/tempo work should be at a total distance of at least 1/2 race distance for the pace work and no more than race distance total... so intervals of 30-120 seconds/ 100-400 meters with rest intervals between...

Distance work should be at a slower than comfortable pace for race distance+ so 6k, 7k.. or 40-60 minutes...
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member

30 seconds a mile per week is massive. That's 8 seconds per 1/4.

I'm usually happy getting that kind of increase in 3-4 weeks.

That being said.

To increase speed. You need to increase speed and capacity. Which means Pace/tempo work and distance work. Pace/tempo work should be at a total distance of at least 1/2 race distance for the pace work and no more than race distance total... so intervals of 30-120 seconds/ 100-400 meters with rest intervals between...

Distance work should be at a slower than comfortable pace for race distance+ so 6k, 7k.. or 40-60 minutes...

Okay that makes sense, I'm still new to understanding how fast I go vs how quick I run each mile, as I never paid attention to how fast I go per mile
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    edited July 2017

Fartleks!

Funny to say, but basically pace/tempo interval work as described above.

parvma2jiuw8.jpg
  • Lizzypb88
    Fartleks!

Funny to say, but basically pace/tempo interval work as described above.

lol I've never heard of that! I like the intervals added, it makes the runs not as boring either
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    Also, work on your cadence. An ideal running cadence is 90-95 foot strikes in one minute. Test yourself how many times does your right foot hit the ground in 1 minute? Then slowly start bumping up your cadence on your runs. And by slowly I mean focus on it for about a minute out of every mile for several weeks and then increase that time.
  • Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Swedish for "Speed Play" (I believe)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    You're a beginner...speed work shouldn't even be on your radar yet. Just keep increasing your weekly volume, smartly, not too much to cause injury. As you run more, you'll get better, and you'll get faster. Then after 4-6 months add in some true speedwork if you like
  • Lizzypb88
    edited July 2017
    rybo wrote: »
    You're a beginner...speed work shouldn't even be on your radar yet. Just keep increasing your weekly volume, smartly, not too much to cause injury. As you run more, you'll get better, and you'll get faster. Then after 4-6 months add in some true speedwork if you like

Well when I finished the C25K it recommended me to increase my speed, so I'm just going along! I've been thinking of getting a heart rate monitor so I don't push myself and mainly work with that?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2017

This. By adding distance, you will naturally become faster. It's typically a recipe for injury to try speed work too quickly. Even personally, I have now been running a little over a year, and just started incorporating speed work into my runs after running a few 5k-10k races and a half marathon.

A better suggestion for now is to possibly look at a new distance goal. Possibly 10k, which there is C210k programs out there too. I find not only does that alleviate the possibility for injury, but it lessens the frustration when you aren't meeting the pace goals you set. Most folks often set over-zealous and unreasonable goals for running in the time they describe, myself included at times.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Added distance begets speed. If you think about it, you can run plenty fast for what you want to do, you just can't maintain that pace for very long. Therefore, you need to better your endurance so you can maintain a faster pace for a longer time. You accomplish this by increasing you distance with a conversational pace. That pace increases as your condition improves. In short, you don't need to get faster, you need to be able to maintain that faster paced longer. Distance begets speed.
  • Alisonswim46
    Alisonswim46 Posts: 208 Member
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Couple things to suggest...

First, don't bother trying to run faster. Just run further each week. You will get faster without trying (and you will be less likely to get injured).

Second, I suggest ignoring any advice about steps per minute, foot strike, and anything else related to form beyond the very basics. The basics being run upright (don't lean forward), try to land with your feet under you (don't over stride) and swing your arms nearly straight at the sides (not across your body). Everything else will take care of itself.

The one thing I would advise adding is some strength and flexibility training. Work on your getting your hips and core strong and flexible now and you will be a better runner later.
    Cadence is pretty basic and will also help your fitness.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Joenali wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Couple things to suggest...

First, don't bother trying to run faster. Just run further each week. You will get faster without trying (and you will be less likely to get injured).

Second, I suggest ignoring any advice about steps per minute, foot strike, and anything else related to form beyond the very basics. The basics being run upright (don't lean forward), try to land with your feet under you (don't over stride) and swing your arms nearly straight at the sides (not across your body). Everything else will take care of itself.

The one thing I would advise adding is some strength and flexibility training. Work on your getting your hips and core strong and flexible now and you will be a better runner later.
    Cadence is pretty basic and will also help your fitness.

Cadence is overrated. Fix the other parts of your form and it will take care of itself. Ask someone to purposely step 180 times per minute and they forget to focus on the parts that keep them from getting injured.

Check out this podcast and then check out the book. I am reading it now (but I have always maintained my position - check out my previous 'discussions' with a forefoot striker evangelist :) ).

http://marathontrainingacademy.com/running-form
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    I should clarify the 'cadence overrated' statement...

Focusing on landing under your body instead of over-striding will force your cadence up. Just focusing on cadence will do nothing for proper landing. It will just make you try to move your legs faster.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »

Well when I finished the C25K it recommended me to increase my speed, so I'm just going along! I've been thinking of getting a heart rate monitor so I don't push myself and mainly work with that?

You'll get much more progress as a new runner by just adding volume. I'd generally never design a speed plan for someone who's not already running at least 10K per session 3-4 times per week.

Just getting to 10K will probably knock 5-6 minutes off your 5K time.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    I know it sounds too simple, but the people above are right. Run more, mostly easy, and you will get faster. Adding some short bursts of speed into your runs won't hurt, and does make running fun, but trying to push your general pace faster is likely to get you injured. Occasional fartleks or fast strides are one thing, but tempo and interval runs aren't really recommended until you are running 20+ miles a week. Increase your mileage slowly, perhaps with a 10k program to keep it in check, and you will see progress.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member

You'll get much more progress as a new runner by just adding volume. I'd generally never design a speed plan for someone who's not already running at least 10K per session 3-4 times per week.

That's all well and good for someone who wants to run a 10K. Millions of people are happy to run a 5K and simply want to do it faster.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited July 2017

That's all well and good for someone who wants to run a 10K. Millions of people are happy to run a 5K and simply want to do it faster.

And the easiest way to run a 5K faster is to add more training volume.

A decent speedwork session will cover at least 8-10K anyway, of it's less than that there is inadequate warm up and cool down in comparison to the work portion.

Doing speedwork without the aerobic base just invites injury.

Fwiw if someone wanted to improve pace for a 10K I'd be recommending long runs of 16Km/ 10mi.