Increasing running speed suggestions?

2»

Replies

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,727 Member
    edited July 2017
    Lizzypb88 wrote: »
    rybo wrote: »
    You're a beginner...speed work shouldn't even be on your radar yet. Just keep increasing your weekly volume, smartly, not too much to cause injury. As you run more, you'll get better, and you'll get faster. Then after 4-6 months add in some true speedwork if you like

Well when I finished the C25K it recommended me to increase my speed, so I'm just going along! I've been thinking of getting a heart rate monitor so I don't push myself and mainly work with that?

You'll get much more progress as a new runner by just adding volume. I'd generally never design a speed plan for someone who's not already running at least 10K per session 3-4 times per week.

Just getting to 10K will probably knock 5-6 minutes off your 5K time.

That's all well and good for someone who wants to run a 10K. Millions of people are happy to run a 5K and simply want to do it faster.

And the easiest way to run a 5K faster is to add more training volume.

A decent speedwork session will cover at least 8-10K anyway, of it's less than that there is inadequate warm up and cool down in comparison to the work portion.

Doing speedwork without the aerobic base just invites injury.

Fwiw I'd someone wanted to improve pace for a 10K I'd be recommending long runs of 16Km/ 10mi.

1.3 Million military members running less than 5K daily and 12K weekly will vehemently and enthusiastically disagree with you. And that's just in the United States.

A decent speedwork session doesn't need to exceed the race/test distance.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited July 2017
    You're a beginner...speed work shouldn't even be on your radar yet. Just keep increasing your weekly volume, smartly, not too much to cause injury. As you run more, you'll get better, and you'll get faster. Then after 4-6 months add in some true speedwork if you like

Well when I finished the C25K it recommended me to increase my speed, so I'm just going along! I've been thinking of getting a heart rate monitor so I don't push myself and mainly work with that?

You'll get much more progress as a new runner by just adding volume. I'd generally never design a speed plan for someone who's not already running at least 10K per session 3-4 times per week.

That's all well and good for someone who wants to run a 10K. Millions of people are happy to run a 5K and simply want to do it faster.

And the easiest way to run a 5K faster is to add more training volume.

A decent speedwork session will cover at least 8-10K anyway, of it's less than that there is inadequate warm up and cool down in comparison to the work portion.

Doing speedwork without the aerobic base just invites injury.

Fwiw I'd someone wanted to improve pace for a 10K I'd be recommending long runs of 16Km/ 10mi.

1.3 Million military members running less than 5K daily and 12K weekly will vehemently and enthusiastically disagree with you. And that's just in the United States.

A decent speedwork session doesn't need to exceed the race/test distance.

I think I've alluded in the past to having been involved in both selection, and training, in the military. I appreciate that we're talking different beasts as in my service you're expected to already be capable of running 10K on day one.

While this is a bit of a diversion for the originator, as I suspect she's not trying out for that, the principles remain similar. To train candidates for the 10 miler the package goes beyond that. The exception is around marathon distance, ready for test week.

I'd note that this isn't about preparing for an annual basic fitness test, the threshold for which are pretty generous, but about improvement. From a personal perspective I can pass my age range without effort. It takes me a bit of effort to pass in the 17-20 year age range, and I'm generally getting a good pass for 20-25, so 20 years my junior.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member

You don't train for a 5k by running only 5k. That's not how it works.

And I've been in the Army. Most run 2-3 miles 3 times a week. Others run more. Still others who can't quite make it get extra PT. This is true even for basic training. And my training was for a 2 mile test, not 5k. You're also discounting all of the other training that we did. Granted I haven't been active since 1993 (and did basic in 1987) but I doubt much has changed.
  • stanmann571
    dewd2 wrote: »

You don't train for a 5k by running only 5k. That's not how it works.

And I've been in the Army. Most run 2-3 miles 3 times a week. Others run more. Still others who can't quite make it get extra PT. This is true even for basic training. And my training was for a 2 mile test, not 5k. You're also discounting all of the other training that we did. Granted I haven't been active since 1993 (and did basic in 1987) but I doubt much has changed.

I never suggested only running 5K.

What I said is that Tempo/pace runs don't need to exceed the target distance.
    IMO, shaving 30 seconds off your mile each week is not a realistic goal. The way to run faster, typically, is to run more (without increasing too much each week, which can put you at risk for injury). When I focus on consistently getting my weekly long run in, my short runs naturally speed up.

30 seconds a mile per week is massive. That's 8 seconds per 1/4.

I'm usually happy getting that kind of increase in 3-4 weeks.

That being said.

To increase speed. You need to increase speed and capacity. Which means Pace/tempo work and distance work. Pace/tempo work should be at a total distance of at least 1/2 race distance for the pace work and no more than race distance total... so intervals of 30-120 seconds/ 100-400 meters with rest intervals between...

Distance work should be at a slower than comfortable pace for race distance+ so 6k, 7k.. or 40-60 minutes...

• Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Couple things to suggest...

First, don't bother trying to run faster. Just run further each week. You will get faster without trying (and you will be less likely to get injured).

Second, I suggest ignoring any advice about steps per minute, foot strike, and anything else related to form beyond the very basics. The basics being run upright (don't lean forward), try to land with your feet under you (don't over stride) and swing your arms nearly straight at the sides (not across your body). Everything else will take care of itself.

The one thing I would advise adding is some strength and flexibility training. Work on your getting your hips and core strong and flexible now and you will be a better runner later.

Do you have any recommendations of a link for exercises to strengthen my hip area??
    It drives me MAD that after a tough run- my legs don't hurt, nothing really hurts much probably because all my pain is right where my leg and pelvis meet, that socket joint I guess you could say! I don't do my next run until I'm 90% healed which is usually 2 days when it's bad, but it's weird how where my leg meets my pelvis on the side of my body, and also wraps around to my lower butt always aches! I try to do planking and simple core exercises but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing as that is clearly my weak spot?
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Don't forget to do 2 sets of about 30 yards each butt kicks and high knees 2-3x/week. Even that small amount makes a huge difference.

Hills once a week--find a nice hill and run up it for two minutes at a steady pace. This doesn't have to be a fast pace, just a steady pace. Then walk back down. Do that 10 times.

Practice "quick feet." Keep your feet under your hips rather than striding out. Say "quick, quick, quick!" to yourself as you take faster, shorter strides, almost shuffling your feet.

Practice belly breathing. Do it first at home. Lay on the floor on your back with your hands on your belly. Breathe slowly and deeply into your belly so that it inflates rather than inflating your chest. Do that for one minute every day. When you run, recreate that breathing style. Belly breathing engages the parasympathetic system (science not woo) and relaxes your body. It is easier to run faster and longer when you do this.
  • stanmann571

First, don't bother trying to run faster. Just run further each week. You will get faster without trying (and you will be less likely to get injured).

Second, I suggest ignoring any advice about steps per minute, foot strike, and anything else related to form beyond the very basics. The basics being run upright (don't lean forward), try to land with your feet under you (don't over stride) and swing your arms nearly straight at the sides (not across your body). Everything else will take care of itself.

The one thing I would advise adding is some strength and flexibility training. Work on your getting your hips and core strong and flexible now and you will be a better runner later.

Do you have any recommendations of a link for exercises to strengthen my hip area??
    It drives me MAD that after a tough run- my legs don't hurt, nothing really hurts much probably because all my pain is right where my leg and pelvis meet, that socket joint I guess you could say! I don't do my next run until I'm 90% healed which is usually 2 days when it's bad, but it's weird how where my leg meets my pelvis on the side of my body, and also wraps around to my lower butt always aches! I try to do planking and simple core exercises but I'm wondering if there's something I'm missing as that is clearly my weak spot?

Bridges/hip thrusts
    Crawls either from hands/knees or standing elbows to knees 10-30 times

Hip/Butt can also spring from lower back weakness.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

http://running.competitor.com/2015/08/training/3-bodyweight-workout-routines-for-runners_133586

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/workout-routines/best-bodyweight-workout-runners

Personally I quite like You Are Your Own Gym
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member

Agree 100%. OP if you're been running10 or 12 weeks you're still building your aerobic base and your body is still undergoing a lot of physiological adaptations.

I had a very wise coach once tell me not to worry about running a fast 5K until I could run a slow 10km.....

Hips, glutes etc....

https://runnersconnect.net/hips-hamstrings-and-glues-are-the-key-to-running-faster/

https://runnersconnect.net/the-top-5-hip-strengthening-exercises-for-runners-to-prevent-injury-and-improve-hip-drive/

Have fun!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member

Google Myrtl routine exercises. They are great and will strengthen and loosen your hip area. Also some of the yoga stretches can help: http://www.prevention.com/fitness/12-yoga-poses-to-open-your-hips
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member

Bridges/hip thrusts
    Crawls either from hands/knees or standing elbows to knees 10-30 times

Hip/Butt can also spring from lower back weakness.

I had lots of joint pains 2 years ago when I was almost 300 pounds, I feel like when I lost the weight my body didn't align itself back to normal or something
    Thanks everyone I'll look into the exercises and just basic running!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member

to make it clear: i'm not a runner. and every time i've ever tried to become a runner i damage something.

with that said though, i've spent a stupid amoutn of time over the past year or so working on my own hips. so some thoughts:

the zone you're talking about sounds like either your tensor fascia latae (shortens to tfl) or your rectus femoris muscles. or both. ties into the i.t. band that runs down the outside edge of your leg and can get very mouthy if it's stressed. and/or your glute medius . . . don't take any of this as gospel, but these are the areas i've put in a lot of time on for a pain that sounds a lot like yours.

if working on those muscles doesn't resolve it, you could try looking [VERY CAUTIOUSLY] into psoas and iliopsoas release. those are the muscles right on the b-side of your pelvic girdle, i.e. on the inside. a massage therapist told me once 'the victim always screams loudest and the culprit is silent', so that's where that idea came from. i did once take a [SOFT] tennis ball to that area and it made my eyes bug out but it did help a surprising amount. but do do be careful about massaging through your abdominal wall.

and just a final note: issues inside the capsule of your hip joint usually 'refer' themselves to the groin area in front. so if the pain hangs around no matter what you try to resolve it, see someone to rule that out too.
  • GraceCdillingham
    GraceCdillingham Posts: 2 Member
    A good method is to do speed workouts intermittently with your regular workout. These are generally shorter, but more rigorous. 30 seconds is a big goal, start small.