How long do you usually spend in the gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    3ish hours when I have the time. 1 hour during the school year.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The only thing I do in the gym is lift 2-3x per week...I'm typically in and out in 60 minutes.

My cardio is mostly cycling...usually 4-5 days per week anywhere between 30-60 minutes and usually a bit longer ride on a Saturday or Sunday. I also like hitting up the rock climbing gym on weekends...I usually spend a couple hours their monkeying around and like to go on the occasional hike, but that's most often reserved for when we're camping.

I think spending hours in the gym is a waste, particularly if you're not following some kind of very specific training protocol...more isn't always better.

ETA: if I'm going to spend hours being active, it's going to be "play"...rock climbing, hiking, site seeing ride, etc...spending hours in a gym sounds like torture.

But what if it's considered play for someone? Rock climbing sounds like torture to me.
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    for those of you in the gym 2 plus hours a day, when (and how!) do you go if you work f/t and have youngish kids? do you go during work? early morning? at night? does your spouse also work out? I try to alternate early mornings with my spouse but it always feels rushed and evenings are impossible, I fly out of work with barely enough time to get home to do dinner, baths, bed, etc....
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    sak20011 wrote: »
    for those of you in the gym 2 plus hours a day, when (and how!) do you go if you work f/t and have youngish kids? do you go during work? early morning? at night? does your spouse also work out? I try to alternate early mornings with my spouse but it always feels rushed and evenings are impossible, I fly out of work with barely enough time to get home to do dinner, baths, bed, etc....

I leave the kids with dad and have my time. I am a SAHM, I deserve me time.
  • vmbourg
    vmbourg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    About 45mins 5 times a week. I go on my lunch break so I hit strength traning or interval classes that really peak my heart rate in that time frame. 1 of those days is for Yoga for active recovery day. On the weekends, doing yard work and chasing kids is my gym.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    45-50 mins 5 times a week lifting.
    If I go to the commercial gym on the weekends for extra lifting sessions then it's around 80 mins.
  • JIJames2017
    JIJames2017 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    4 to 5 times a week for 45 mins to an hour. Alternate between cardio and light weights/core. Sometimes longer but I do what I can abd what my body allows as I am just trying to keep fit and look average.
  • hannys
    hannys Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    60-90 mins of actually working out in some capacity.
  • WendyLeigh1119
    WendyLeigh1119 Posts: 495 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    2 to 5 hours - Monday through Friday. Except this past week because I pulled my shoulder/neck or something and couldn't turn my head. It was heinous. I had to stay home all week and actually try to eat 1200 calories. :s

curious - what do you do in the gym for 2-5 hours per day?????

Well, it depends on the day. I take tons of classes, but some days the classes are less intense, so I'll add additional cardio or strength those days (keeping me there longer).

Monday: (Lower impact/intensity so longer day)
    9:15 am - Pilates (60 min)
    10:30 - 11:40am - General Weight Room (60-70 min)
    12:00pm - Les Mills Body Pump (60 minutes)
    1:30pm - Les Mills Body Flow (60 minutes)

Tuesday: (Higher intensity, so less time)
    9:30am - Les Mills Body Combat (60 min)
    10:40am - Les Mills Body Pump (60 min)
    11:45am - General Cardio - Elliptical (60 min)

Wednesday:
    10:30am - Zumba Mash Up (60 min)
    11:45am - Les Mills Body Pump (60 min)
    1:00pm - General Weight Room (60 min)

Thursday:
    10:05am - Les Mills Body Pump (60 min)
    11:15am - Les Mills Body Combat (60 min)
    12:30 - General Cardio - Elliptical (60 min)

Friday:
    9:00am - Instructor's Choice (60 min)
    10:15am - Boot Camp (60 min outdoor/"playground" circuit training type class)

Sat & Sunday off completely (except the occasional swim or playing Petanque)

I sometimes skip the extra cardio or extra weights if I don't feel like doing it, but never miss classes because I only take classes I genuinely love. Fridays I take it easy because "Playground Boot Camp" is usually outside in high humidity. And I don't do well in high humidity/outdoor exercise that's intense.

*I also have a Les Mills Body Pump weight set at home because I can't get enough of it and my son and significant other like to use it.*
  • ksw98
    ksw98 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    1-2 hours for me. But some of that is sitting around listening to music or a podcast, I'm not always very efficient :)
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Depending on the day of week, where I am in my lifting cycle, whether I'm training for anything in particular, anything from 1-3hours not including any PT or outside classes.

Tuesday is generally my longest day, with an hour of lifting followed by 45mins Zumba, then gab for quarter hour or so before another hour lifting. Then back in the evening for 45 min Insanity occasionally preceeded by 20min rower.

I enjoy my time working out in the gym, it's my time when the children are at school or in the evening when their Daddy is home.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Loissxo wrote: »
    I love the gym and can be in there for hours! I wondering how long everyone else spent in the gym or working out!

3 times a week. Currently spending 30 minutes swimming 1/2 mile, then an hour water aerobics class with a few minutes of water jogging in between. From the time I walk in the door to the time I leave after showering it is 2-1/2 hours. When I get back up to a mile and a half of laps, it will actually be more like 3-1/2 hours.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    sak20011 wrote: »

I leave the kids with dad and have my time. I am a SAHM, I deserve me time.

Same here, I'm up in the night with a hyperactive, ASD child, then do the day shift with same child plus a 3yo and deserve the me time at the gym both during the day when they're at school and in the evenings when their Dad is home.
  • JGreenwoodmfp
    JGreenwoodmfp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Loissxo wrote: »
    I love the gym and can be in there for hours! I wondering how long everyone else spent in the gym or working out!

3x a week.
    I do TRX
    I love it!
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    45-60 min, 4x a week. I also walk/push a stroller to and from the gym, about 25 min each direction.
  • revowens
    revowens Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    2-2.5hrs 3X a week. 2hrs cardio and half hour of weights. I need to do more weights but honestly I just can't seem to be as motivated with the weights. Now cardio is a different story. Sometimes it seems I could go all day and not get tired.