1 Gallon of Water a Day?

13»

Replies

• Rammer123
    Rammer123 Posts: 679 Member
    noirelb wrote: »
    I tried drinking a lot more water than my usual yesterday... maybe 2litres and I dropped a full pound today so It's definitely going to get rid of the water weight. I then checked out websites about how much I should drink per day and it's apparently around 1 liter per 50lbs! They also say it boosts your metabolism but not sure how much truth is in that. Also, you would have to drink many liters in a short period of time to have water intoxication so I wouldn't worry. I don't think 1 gallon for a 200lbs+ person would be to much but maybe for a small person?
    I'm definitely going to up my water intake!

Drinking water does not boost your metabolism. Drinking water hydrates you, keeps you regular, helps with muscle repair from exercise and helps flush excess sodium (and the accompanying water retention) from your system. Pretty helpful things in and of themselves, but boosting metabolism isn't one of them. :)

But it does effect on the amount of calories you burn..... The original definition of a calorie was the amount of energy needed to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. Albeit not a crazy amount calories unless you're drinking gallons and gallons of water, it does have an effect.

It's somewhere between 5 and 8 calories to heat up the cold water to reach your normal body temperature. With drinking a very normal 8 glasses a day, that would put you at 40-64 calories a day. If you are an active individual who drinks a lot of water, that could be 80-128 calories a day from drinking a gallon of cold water a day. Obviously this is not going to make or break you weight loss, but it does have an effect on the amount of calories you burn a day.

That's 40-64 calories THAT ARE ALREADY IN YOUR TDEE. Or do you normally not drink even a single drop of water.

Right, but increasing from 64oz to a gallon like OP was talking about, would have the same 40-64 calorie effect. I am not staying everyone has to drink more ice cold water to burn more calories, more just bringing it up to say it has a slight effect and that it does make your body work harder. Just like sitting in a ice bath would cause you to burn more calories, also not advocating sitting in a ice bath to burn more calories, just for recovery.
  • Rammer123
    I tried drinking a lot more water than my usual yesterday... maybe 2litres and I dropped a full pound today so It's definitely going to get rid of the water weight. I then checked out websites about how much I should drink per day and it's apparently around 1 liter per 50lbs! They also say it boosts your metabolism but not sure how much truth is in that. Also, you would have to drink many liters in a short period of time to have water intoxication so I wouldn't worry. I don't think 1 gallon for a 200lbs+ person would be to much but maybe for a small person?

Drinking water does not boost your metabolism. Drinking water hydrates you, keeps you regular, helps with muscle repair from exercise and helps flush excess sodium (and the accompanying water retention) from your system. Pretty helpful things in and of themselves, but boosting metabolism isn't one of them. :)

But it does effect on the amount of calories you burn..... The original definition of a calorie was the amount of energy needed to raise 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius. Albeit not a crazy amount calories unless you're drinking gallons and gallons of water, it does have an effect.

It's somewhere between 5 and 8 calories to heat up the cold water to reach your normal body temperature. With drinking a very normal 8 glasses a day, that would put you at 40-64 calories a day. If you are an active individual who drinks a lot of water, that could be 80-128 calories a day from drinking a gallon of cold water a day. Obviously this is not going to make or break you weight loss, but it does have an effect on the amount of calories you burn a day.

That's 40-64 calories THAT ARE ALREADY IN YOUR TDEE. Or do you normally not drink even a single drop of water.

Right, but increasing from 64oz to a gallon like OP was talking about, would have the same 40-64 calorie effect. I am not staying everyone has to drink more ice cold water to burn more calories, more just bringing it up to say it has a slight effect and that it does make your body work harder. Just like sitting in a ice bath would cause you to burn more calories, also not advocating sitting in a ice bath to burn more calories, just for recovery.

Doing the chicken dance every time you drink water (normal drinking, not excessive) works even better for calories, and it's less likely to cause electrolyte imbalances than drinking a gallon of water.

A gallon of water will not cause an electrolyte imbalance if you are eating a well balanced diet.
  • Rammer123

Doing the chicken dance every time you drink water (normal drinking, not excessive) works even better for calories, and it's less likely to cause electrolyte imbalances than drinking a gallon of water.

A gallon of water will not cause an electrolyte imbalance if you are eating a well balanced diet.

Things like forcing copious amounts of cold water down your throat are very unlikely to stick and do little more than be tedious for a near negligible return.

Very far from anything I have said.
  • JennJ323
    JennJ323 Posts: 646 Member
    edited July 2017
    I drink a gallon (or close to it a day)... I have a 16oz cup I fill each hour and drink it within that hour (while I'm at work 9-5) so to me it's mindless and easy to do the gallon in one day. I do think it helps, whether it does or not is beyond me, but it helps me to not want to mindlessly snack come 3pm. I also feel like it helps with bloat.. either way I plan to continue drinking water like this. It can't hurt. (once I get home I don't drink too much the rest of the evening, maybe another 16oz)

And I usually only drink water, except for the occasional adult beverage :)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited July 2017
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Weird fact for the day: hot water poured in your ice cube trays will freeze faster than cold water in the trays.

Nope.

The tiny kernel of truth that lies at the heart of this oft-repeated legend is that water brought to boiling, and then returned to room temperature, can freeze ever so slightly faster than room temperature water that wasn't brought to boiling first.

It was demonstrated on a science TV show (Newton's Apple IIRC). Had nothing to do with boiling or not it was about the convection created by the large temp difference when you put the trays of hot water in the freezer.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Weird fact for the day: hot water poured in your ice cube trays will freeze faster than cold water in the trays.

Nope.

The tiny kernel of truth that lies at the heart of this oft-repeated legend is that water brought to boiling, and then returned to room temperature, can freeze ever so slightly faster than room temperature water that wasn't brought to boiling first.

It was demonstrated on a science TV show (Newton's Apple IIRC). Had nothing to do with boiling or not it was about the convection created by the large temp difference when you put the trays of hot water in the freezer.

Actually true - the hot water releases energy (in the form of heat) quicker and thus freezes quicker.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    I drink a gallon (or close to it a day)... I have a 16oz cup I fill each hour and drink it within that hour (while I'm at work 9-5) so to me it's mindless and easy to do the gallon in one day. I do think it helps, whether it does or not is beyond me, but it helps me to not want to mindlessly snack come 3pm. I also feel like it helps with bloat.. either way I plan to continue drinking water like this. It can't hurt. (once I get home I don't drink too much the rest of the evening, maybe another 16oz)

And I usually only drink water, except for the occasional adult beverage :)

I am like you, I generally just drink around a gallon a day and it's normal for me. Also like you I only drink water, sometimes I'll have coffee, tea, or kombucha as a treat but 99% of the time I am a water drinker. I've never been much of a snacker, but I have always been a water drinker so maybe that's why. :smile: