Vegan!

Options
2»

Replies

• kerry4169
    kerry4169 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey, I've been vegetarian for over ten years. I don't eat dairy but my family have chickens and so I eat those eggs. Would love to connect with some other people who eat similar to me, to share advice, meal ideas and encourage each other. Please feel free to add me :)
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Sweet! I became vegan April 22nd, 2017! I'm hoping to get more vegan friends on here...
  • ellaminnowpea81
    ellaminnowpea81 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm attempting to work animal products out of my life for the second time. The husband is working on being more accommodating about that lol.
  • orochiwarrior
    orochiwarrior Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I went vegetarian in December last year, after doing more research in the months that followed I went vegan at the start of June. Feel free to add me people ☺️
  • valeriewa11s
    valeriewa11s Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! Transitioning to vegan here. By transitioning I mean finishing off what was already in the home. I was feeling very sluggish a few days ago. I downloaded MFP after a long hiatus because I'm trying to track my micros. If any successful vegans want to friend me and give me some feedback, I'd be ever greatful! I have to take in a lot because I'm also breastfeeding.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Just became a vegan thanks to what the health and cowspiracy. Any other vegans here?!

If you are considering yourself vegan, do you eat honey? Do you wear silk or wool? Do you use products that have beeswax? If the answer to any of those are yes, you are not vegan, you are vegetarian.
  • Veganvibesss
    Veganvibesss Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Great documentaries, I have been vegan for yeaaars but just watched earthlings lastnight finally... I hate the human race lol.
  • KatelynGT
    KatelynGT Posts: 1 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Just became a vegan thanks to what the health and cowspiracy. Any other vegans here?!

If you are considering yourself vegan, do you eat honey? Do you wear silk or wool? Do you use products that have beeswax? If the answer to any of those are yes, you are not vegan, you are vegetarian.

Hi! I am not vegan but I have been a vegetarian for roughly 8 years. I just wanted to note that eating honey and buying honey products (from small, or self owned businesses at least) can be actually good for the bees. Especially with their populations dwindling they need all the help they can get. Bees naturally make an excess of honey that they cannot consume all by themselves, and having the safety and security and ideal living conditions of bee keeper hives keeps them happy and thriving. So going out of your way to avoid buying honey not only hurts the small businesses and bee keepers, but hurts the bees and their conservation as well.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    KatelynGT wrote: »

Hi! I am not vegan but I have been a vegetarian for roughly 8 years. I just wanted to note that eating honey and buying honey products (from small, or self owned businesses at least) can be actually good for the bees. Especially with their populations dwindling they need all the help they can get. Bees naturally make an excess of honey that they cannot consume all by themselves, and having the safety and security and ideal living conditions of bee keeper hives keeps them happy and thriving. So going out of your way to avoid buying honey not only hurts the small businesses and bee keepers, but hurts the bees and their conservation as well.

True, but vegans still believe in using no products taken from, or produced by, animals. Lots of logical thinking is missing with some of them (shearing wool also benefits the sheep). Like PETA with housepets. They believe that people should not have pets, so they euthanize rather than adopt at their shelters
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    KatelynGT wrote: »

Bees may sometimes make more honey than they can eat, but this excess doesn't harm them. An individual beekeeper may choose to take just the excess honey (assuming they can tell exactly how much is excess), but many bees have their honey replaced with sugar water or corn syrup. When I'm buying honey or a product with honey, I have no way of knowing whether or not the beekeepers are taking just the excess or if they are engaging in practices like killing off hives in the winter. If someone is there in person, I can ask (for what it is worth, I didn't receive very straightforward answers the time I was curious and asked a local beekeeper at a farmer's market).

For these reasons, I choose to avoid honey. There are things I can do to help pollinators that don't require purchasing honey taken from their hives. It isn't like we have two choices -- buy honey or do nothing to help pollinators.
  • MicheleB105
    MicheleB105 Posts: 16 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi guys, I'm a breast cancer survivor and now am having some other health issues. Stomach, small intestine, digestive problems. I did the Whole 30 low FODMAP plan for 30 days So now I've been adding foods back slowly to figure out what my system can and can't deal with. Any Bovine or by product of, is making me sick now. Maybe by the end of the year I'll be a vegetarian. I learned a lot from some of your posts, will be reading and watching a couple things some of you mentioned. I would appreciate the add for some encouragement and will be glad to return the positivity.
  • joemac1988
    joemac1988 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options

I'm not slamming Vegan (do what you wanna) but What the Health has more BS in it than you can shake a stick at, scientifically. Just one example is they said Vegan provides all the nutrients you need, yet later recommend you supplement some vitamins... WTF.
  • jodiburmeister
    jodiburmeister Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    New vegan here too and I'm really struggling. I'm actually gaining weight right now and eating more because I never feel full. There are a couple of vegan cookbooks I really like so far.....Vegan Italiano, The Mediterranean Vegan Diet and Cookie & Kate's vegetarian cookbook (most of the recipes are vegan).
  • ssmarquits84
    ssmarquits84 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I watch those Documentaries and slowly moving to the other side. Not quite all the way there, will love to know good recipes to feed my kids.