Office goodies and how to avoid them?

Options
This week in my office there have been cupcakes twice, donuts, cookies, cheddar rolls, cinnamon rolls, and special chocolates all in addition to the usual 3 candy bowls on various desks. I have had a tablespoon of frosting and 1 cheddar roll. I think I did pretty good considering I was eating upwards of 10 pieces of chocolate each day a week or two ago but seriously, I think it is just making me depressed. How do you deal with having all this temptation and not only that but when someone brings in homemade cinnamon rolls how do you turn it down three times without being rude or "That person who is always on a diet."

Replies

• LaughHappy907
    LaughHappy907 Posts: 44 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Dootzy1 wrote: »
    Oh, another thing that might help.....think of all the germs shared on community food!!

Good point. It will help make it less appetizing. It's just a bunch of sugar and germs sitting on a pretty plate!
  • LaughHappy907
    LaughHappy907 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    (Unless Nicole makes lemon bars. All bets are off for Nicole's lemon bars!)

Sounds like some seriously good lemon bars!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    I will take one bite if it is something I have never tasted before, otherwise it sits in my brain and tortures me. Otherwise I just think to myself I've had this before and there is nothing special about it and walk away.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    praykathy wrote: »
    prioritize - My little quote to myself "Not really worth the calories" applies for much of that stuff. Like box cakes & canned icing are not worth the calories in my opinion. Homemade cinnamon buns? Oh Yeah!

General rules-I made a rule in my 20's not to eat sweets before lunch. I found that much of it is gone by lunch...like Friday donut club...gone by lunch.

Keep hands full--Walk around the office with your hands full...paperwork, cup of tea/coffee, etc. Somehow easier to resist with a warm cup in my hands to grip...very...tightly...

attitude--I used to get angry 'cuz everyone was making it so hard on me. I've learned no one cares about my self-discipline. All they want to hear is "thank you". It can be preceded by a 'no' & they're just as happy.

Some things I eat triggers binging. Quality chocolate candy is such a treat. I cannot partake if there is the option of unlimited more. I would eat until I get sick. I had a coworker who had a giant punchbowl of fun-size candy bars outside her cubicle diagonal from where I sat. It was awful. Most days I didn't partake at all. If I did, I was at least able to make it the end of the day when I would be leaving soon.

As far as not being "that person always on a diet". People don't care that you are on a diet. Just "no thank you". Only your intimate friends & family care...and only so much...

"Not worth the calories" is one of the most useful phrases I've heard.
  • kdavid1987
    kdavid1987 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I want to be brutally honest here. My break room is ALWAYS full of junk food so I have experienced this struggle for 40 hours a week or more for a long time now. The best way I have found not to indulge in the junk food I don't need and haven't budgeted for is... to look at my over weight coworkers and remind myself I do not want to end up like them. I work in a really high stress environment and I think a lot of people use food to cope with it. Me, I know I can't do that and live the life I want to live. If people ask me if I am on a diet, I just say no, because that's the truth. I may not be on a diet but that doesn't mean I want or need the junk food available.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    They don't fit in my calories, so I don't eat office treats. I had to tell my self that every day as I stared down the candy jar of death until seeing Kit Kats and Milky Ways no longer affected me.
  • siyana1985
    siyana1985 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've just made it very clear that i`m trying to lose weight. i started at 265 though so it wasn't like it was a big thing. took a bit for them to stop asking if i wanted a coffee on the coffee run but i made a firm stand and explained why. i drink 1 coffee a day. or i didn't attend the bbq because the options weren't for me (it was all burgers and sausages and buns.. sodium & fat fest really) it took a month or so but really just stand your ground and eventually people have a bit of respect for your choices
  • kyubeans
    kyubeans Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I think about the temporary and fleeting pleasure of eating the snack and weigh it against the remorse and regret I might feel later. Whichever is heavier, wins.

So if it's an unappetizing dry cookie, I know I'll be kicking myself when I log it later so I feel totally fine not eating it. If it's something good and enjoyable enough that I will log it with pleasure later on, then yes!

For me, knowing I will be logging whatever I eat later on keeps myself in check.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    Options
    This week in my office there have been cupcakes twice, donuts, cookies, cheddar rolls, cinnamon rolls, and special chocolates all in addition to the usual 3 candy bowls on various desks. I have had a tablespoon of frosting and 1 cheddar roll. I think I did pretty good considering I was eating upwards of 10 pieces of chocolate each day a week or two ago but seriously, I think it is just making me depressed. How do you deal with having all this temptation and not only that but when someone brings in homemade cinnamon rolls how do you turn it down three times without being rude or "That person who is always on a diet."

1) I think of most food in the office as "not mine". You wouldn't go into the office fridge and just help yourself to someone's lunch, would you? Baked goods, etc. are the same. They aren't mine so I'm not going to eat them.

2) Who knows where this food has come from. We get stuff that was left over from the birthday party on the weekend ... great. Who sneezed on it or touched it at the birthday party. Ick! How long was it left sitting out? Is the reason why 3/4 of that cake was left after the birthday because the cake is really awful? What is the state of the kitchen where this stuff was made?

3) Occasionally, I will make room in my day for a little bit of something. I might climb more stairs or something. But it had better be freshly made and really good! :)

• Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    My rule is this: If I didn't bring it, then I don't eat it.
    Not because I don't trust peeps or whatever, but it's the easiest way for me to make sure I know exactly what I'm eating. Also, I tend to log everything I'm going to eat first thing in the morning. If I've already logged, I usually don't want to go through the effort of logging an unexpected item midway through the day.