Confused. Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    mcdanieljj wrote: »
    This is crazy but do some searching on ketogenics.or the keto diet. Your body can either burn sugar (ie carbs) or it can burn fat. Ketosis is where your body changes and converts to burning fat. To get this you have to follow macros and not really worry about cal.s. if you do this diet you can experience the keto flu which is withdrawal of sugars. After you hit ketosis, you loose weight quickly. This is without even working out. Lots of ways to eat GOOD food without carbs or sugar. Check it out.

Calories do count even on Keto. You can definitely gain on keto if you overeat! And it's easy to overeat than your deficit because the calories that come from fat are quite high.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Not an expert - and recently swapped to MFP from Weight Watchers.
    I track calories and keep an eye on macros. (Carbs / fat/ protein). I'm finding that upping the protein helps me feel fuller - 'better day'. Also I can eat some full fat products and lose weight - if I'm within calories. (I think Fat had become a no no). So looking at macros whilst within calorie allowance is changing the foods I eat.
    Also getting useful advice from other people - so my advice to you is keeping asking questions.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,687 Member
    Options
    This is crazy but do some searching on ketogenics.or the keto diet. Your body can either burn sugar (ie carbs) or it can burn fat. Ketosis is where your body changes and converts to burning fat. To get this you have to follow macros and not really worry about cal.s. if you do this diet you can experience the keto flu which is withdrawal of sugars. After you hit ketosis, you loose weight quickly. This is without even working out. Lots of ways to eat GOOD food without carbs or sugar. Check it out.

So, OP has joined MFP and hired a trainer. Said trainer has given her advice that may be a little more complicated than necessary, but isn't totally irrational based on what she's told us.

Your advice is that she should blow that all up (except maybe MFP) without trying it, and adopt an eating regimen that is even more complex, is very difficult to comply with for some people, but is satiating and helpful for some?

Okay, then.

OP, I vote with the idea of using MFP to track calories and macros; set the trainer's macro suggestions in your MFP profile along with a sensible, moderate weight loss goal rate; try eating to those goals for 4-6 weeks without being obsessive about it (putting the higher priority on calories); and see how it goes.

If you have any negative symptoms within that time - like fatigue or weakness or binges - make a change, otherwise stick with it and be patient.

If hunger is a problem, keto is one of many possible strategies you could consider for the next phase. It works well for some, poorly for others.
  • mcdanieljj
    mcdanieljj Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Wow, not sure why anyone would take that as a negative comment. I was just saying it is working for me and there is research that shows benefits for people with insulin issues. Even has been used for people with seizures. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Wow, not sure why anyone would take that as a negative comment. I was just saying it is working for me and there is research that shows benefits for people with insulin issues. Even has been used for people with seizures. Just thought I'd give my 2 cents.

the OP hasn't indicated that she has insulin issues and yes, keto originally was for children with epilepsy back in the 60/70's....

but that doesn't mean it works for everyone and I've seen some research to indicate that a keto diet could have a negative affect on your thyroid - so its not something that you should just start doing

additionally, the problem is that keto is the current "solution" to anyones weight issues
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

It was not taken as negative per se--just an inaccurate comment that needed to be corrected.