Gym stalkers?

Options
124»

Replies

• Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Well done!

This woman sounds a lot like a person I work with that doesn't notice everyone trying to escape as she talks. Some people simply don't pick up on cues. It doesn't make them bad people, but it does require us to be more blunt than is usually considered polite.
  • eyer0ll
    eyer0ll Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    ...And I am totally buying more rainbow workout gear!

QFMFT.

• rawhide842
    rawhide842 Posts: 9 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How about saying "Wow. When my sister (or brother) came out, my parents disowned her (him) and that really hurt our family. Thanksgiving and Christmas are not as much fun anymore." and leave it at that. I can almost guarantee you will not hear about that issue any more. It is not your job to "help" this woman become more accepting but I think it is a generational thing more than she's a bad person thing. I work with senior citizens and this is common...Not excusing it or saying it's ok, but there are reasons...

Another idea is to say hello and then say you are pressed for time and can only hear one story. If you just cut her off, you are doing to her the very thing she did to her granddaughter that you don't like. Doesn't cost anything to be at least friendly and say hello. Sounds to me like she is lonely. Congratulations on getting better at setting limits. I think there is a middle ground. You can do it!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i really don't understand why the op 'has to' interact with this woman at all . . . even disregarding her gee-there's-a-surprise display of detestability about a specific issue, i fail to get this.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I have had a successful weekend of avoiding. Had my headphones in and just gave a nod a wave.

Exactly. You owe this woman nothing but common courtesy in passing.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I have had a successful weekend of avoiding. Had my headphones in and just gave a nod a wave.

Excellent. That's all it needs to be.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

Exactly. You owe this woman nothing but common courtesy in passing.

She doesn't even deserve that.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    i really don't understand why the op 'has to' interact with this woman at all . . . even disregarding her gee-there's-a-surprise display of detestability about a specific issue, i fail to get this.

I agree with this.
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I would have responded with, "I'm gay and that's not my husband, that's my wife's brother." That ought to get her to leave you alone and maybe teach her not to go broadcasting her personal life/beliefs to strangers before getting to know them better. I've had people say stupid things like this before and literally turned around mid-sentence and/or tell them to stop talking about that particular thing.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I would like to remind you of Guideline 15 which reads:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics and posts, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion.

Please continue to support OP as she tries to deal with her gym stalker, but save your debating about beliefs for a more appropriate environment.

Thank you for your cooperation,
    4legs
    MFP moderator