Getting sick after reaching your goal weight...

Replies

• MrsMck22
    MrsMck22 Posts: 44 Member
    Not quite the same thing but the dude next door to my parents house lost like 70kgs... then got hit by a car while riding a bike.
  • btanton27
    btanton27 Posts: 186 Member
    Not quite the same thing but the dude next door to my parents house lost like 70kgs... then got hit by a car while riding a bike.

i'm sorry but I lol'ed when I read this. smh at myself ;)
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    I do know that losing weight (fat melting) does release toxins in your body, and people who have lost weight appear to have more toxins in their blood, according to one study...
    I'd love to see that study citation, because that's a giant bunch of bull.

Everyone who ate pickles in 1880 died. Doesn't mean pickles caused it.

Here is one article about toxins in your body after losing weight...you may Google it to find more information about it...I did not make it up...just curios if there is any correlation...
    :ohwell:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/324017-body-toxins-from-weight-loss/

Again, I am not trying to discourage anyone from losing weight, I am not discouraged by this. It is still better to lose weight than not to lose it. It is just that I am curious...and I think too much, to deep sometimes. Wish I could be simple...lol :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :blushing:

This is the author of that article. ask yourself if you want to take health advice or believe anything they have to say about health from someone with these credentials

Kay Uzoma
    Kay Uzoma has been writing professionally since 1999. Her work has appeared in "Reader’s Digest," "Balance," pharmaceutical and natural health newsletters and on websites such as QualityHealth.com. She is a former editor for a national Canadian magazine and holds a Bachelor of Arts in political science from York University.

her degree is political science..
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    I do know that losing weight (fat melting) does release toxins in your body, and people who have lost weight appear to have more toxins in their blood, according to one study...
    I'd love to see that study citation, because that's a giant bunch of bull.

Everyone who ate pickles in 1880 died. Doesn't mean pickles caused it.

Here is one article about toxins in your body after losing weight...you may Google it to find more information about it...I did not make it up...just curios if there is any correlation...
    :ohwell:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/324017-body-toxins-from-weight-loss/

Again, I am not trying to discourage anyone from losing weight, I am not discouraged by this. It is still better to lose weight than not to lose it. It is just that I am curious...and I think too much, to deep sometimes. Wish I could be simple...lol :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :blushing:

This is the author of that article. ask yourself if you want to take health advice or believe anything they have to say about health from someone with these credentials

Kay Uzoma
    Kay Uzoma has been writing professionally since 1999. Her work has appeared in "Reader’s Digest," "Balance," pharmaceutical and natural health newsletters and on websites such as QualityHealth.com. She is a former editor for a national Canadian magazine and holds a Bachelor of Arts in political science from York University.

her degree is political science..
    I was just looking at that. Plus, most of the references cited are from detox diet providers, who are hardly impartial sources of information.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Sure if you lose weight in an unhealthy manner you are setting up yourself for failure and probably also health problems if this involves drastic calorie cut below acceptable levels. But if anything, healthy weight range will keep you better not worse. So nope, no reason not to do it properly!
  • MinatoandClover
    MinatoandClover Posts: 160 Member
    It might be a matter of people trying to lose weight in an unhealthy way. Many kinds of fad diets function on cutting out certain food groups or nutritional values altogether. This is a bad idea, because despite what some diets would have you believe, we need carbs, fats and protein in our diets and in a balanced way. And in the case of cutting out certain groups, it's true that people can do fine without -some- food groups, like meat. However, if you're cutting out all your meat and not replacing it with anything for, say, your protein source, this is a problem. While one may be able to successfully lose weight on these diets, these kinds of diets aren't good for you, and I could see them possibly causing eventual health problems.

It could be a matter of overexertion during exercise. Exercise is something we all need, but if you're pushing yourself too hard or exercising too much, this could cause problems in the cardiovascular system.

Aside from those things, though, it could just be coincidence. Life happens when it happens, and in some cases, people may have gotten sick whether they chose to lose weight or not. Unless the diagnosis is directly related to one's diet and/or exercise (e.g. anemia from lack of iron intake) we can't necessarily say that the two are related. However, if you're making healthy lifestyle changes and implementing a balanced diet rather than relying on fad diets and getting a moderate amount of exercise, I think that you should be fine.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Well, losing weight extremely quickly can cause problems typically heart problems - heart attacks, gaining weight too quickly can also do the same thing especially if people starve themselves for a good while then start eating like crazy and gain weight rapidly. Diet and exercise as well as eating an appropriate amount usually helps those who do have illness' ( especially, high blood pressure, diabetes, ect. ) Its also important if you are obese you "work up" to the exercise level thats right for you. I mean if you have done nothing but sit on the couch for a year, you cant just get up and run a mile. ( build up to it, walk a 1/2 mile, walk a full mile, run and 1/2, walk half, then try running) I think most people have predisposed conditions. Or quite possibly things they already had but did not find out about them until after losing weight. Sometimes there will be things medically wrong and people will chalk it up to : oh well its because Im overweight, then find out after losing weight, something was always wrong. Im not saying its impossible for losing weight to cause illness, it is just not common and less probable that it does.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Well, it depends. Losing weight too fast can cause a myrid of problems. A lot of people lose weight by "dieting" and not by cleaning up their diet. You can eat a large McDonalds French Fry (500 calories) and a Big Mac (550 calories) everyday and lose weight because you'll be calorie deficient; but that's not going to make you healthy. It's only going to make you skinny. Diet pills will also cause a lot of the problems you listed.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    .you may Google it to find more information about it...
    When you burn fat the cells release fatty acid and glycerol (not toxins).

Out of curiosity I did google it to find out more information. I found a blog post that talks about studies concerning POPs (Persistent Organic Pollutants). These must be the mysterious toxins that are supposedly stored in our fat cells.

I found this article:
    http://blogs.plos.org/bodypolitic/2010/09/09/could-dieting-pollute-us/

Here are a few excerpts from the article.
    The study would have been more compelling if the researchers had measured the “before” and “after” POP concentrations; they were also relying on potentially inaccurate self-reports.
    Bad science.
    these studies do not prove that weight loss causes increases in blood chemical levels.
    Nothing proven.
    Most researchers have attributed these findings to the fact that weight loss can be the result of cigarette smoking or underlying illness
    So they were sick to begin with or they added the "toxins" with a little help from the tobacco companies.

Here's a gem.
    POP levels were lower in people who had gained weight.
    Pack on the pounds to lower POP levels?

No thanks.
    I'll take my chances that the benefits of losing weight far out weigh the risks of so called toxins being released from fat loss.
  • Synapze
    Synapze Posts: 499
    The last time i dropped the weight, I lost around 50kg (134kg-84kg) in around 4-6 months. I was losing around 2-3kg a week. Every week.

Tight diet, and heavy training during the Summer in the heat.

I got the idea from a jockey that had to lose weight for a race. He was running around the track in extreme heat with a tracksuit and hood on.

He dropped the weight for the race, so i took it to extremes and did it every day.

I was hospitalised for 6 weeks, as my body just shut down on me.

Wont ever do that again.

Edit: Also my diet consisted of Water and Diet Jelly. Maybe some cereal and eggs. I was basically living on negative calories.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    I will try to keep my answer brief.

I tend believe that if you apply to much stress on the body, sickness can be a result, either the stress from being overweight or the stress caused by malnutrition.

Same goes for exercise, lack of exercise or training will result in a negative impact on health but so will over-training it.

Best answer I can think of is be sensible with your goals, time frames and technique.

ETA: Also wanted to add some links as I consider invaluable to assist people using this site.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817188-iifym

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read
  • choijanro
    choijanro Posts: 754 Member
    You will not be sick as long as your diet is healthy,, drink a lot of water,, take supplements & exercise
  • Ophidion
    You will not be sick as long as your diet is healthy,, drink a lot of water,, take supplements & exercise
    I understand the simplicity of your reply but anyone no matter how vigilant can get sick...now the cause that's the question.

Oh and everybody dies as well.
  • MrsMck22

I lol-ed while writing it :) we're a little less evil when considering he wasnt a very nice man.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    I think things just happen...my mother lost a considerable amount of weight just before she was diagnosed with bowel cancer. Her weight loss did not cause the cancer. I do sometimes feel that if she had more weight to lose whilst having chemo and the such she might have lasted slightly longer (she eventually died), but that is selfish thinking on my part. She was seriously ill and at whatever weight, she still would have gotten worse.
  • Ophidion

I lol-ed while writing it :) we're a little less evil when considering he wasnt a very nice man.
    come on admit it...you were driving said car:devil:
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    But trust me, you're going to die someday.

:noway:
  • MrsMck22

come on admit it...you were driving said car:devil:

I would never admit anything of the sort... on such a public forum. :-)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Seriously? Sure, you could get sick. And you could be fat and sick, which is much more likely. Stop looking and finding reasons to not get fit. There are plenty out there, and you don't have to look far. But trust me, you're going to die someday. Do it looking good.

This!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    I am wondering...has anyone here, after losing a large amount of weight, or even reaching their goal weight, later end up getting some serious disease?

I am asking this because I have a cousin who had lost around 50kg in the past couple of years, only to find herself sick later. Now she has to give herself shots every day for something (not sure what it is, as her parents don't know how to explain what exactly is going on with her).

Also, I met a lady whose husband ended up getting many different health issues (heart attack, kidney problems, high cholesterol, etc...) after he lost around 100lbs by getting a weight loss surgery...

It makes me feel as if you can never win, or some people are just not lucky to enjoy their new life after they achieve a significant weight loss.

Please share if you had any health issues after you achieved your goal...

And, please don't respond back in anger, I am not trying to discourage anyone from losing weight, but just wondering what triggers these problems, especially when we should be feeling great and happy....

It is highly likely the same people would have fallen ill even without the weightloss. There is absolutely no way of knowing one way or the other what may have caused their illness.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!