Getting sick after reaching your goal weight...

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,656 Member
    I do know that losing weight (fat melting) does release toxins in your body, and people who have lost weight appear to have more toxins in their blood, according to one study...
    I'd love to see that study citation, because that's a giant bunch of bull.

Everyone who ate pickles in 1880 died. Doesn't mean pickles caused it.

Actually I thought the same and so googled "losing weight toxins released" and the following site appeared, it isn't so outrageous as first appears:

http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight_tips/articles/detoxification_during_weight_loss/
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Yes and no. The thing is, I think weight covers up other issues and once its gone they are revealed.

There has been a lot of improvements like:
    Less pain doing anything physical.
    I am able to run and exercise without losing my breath
    My SIJD (aka hip/back comes out of place) used to come out 3+ times a day and now it only comes out like 1-2 a year
    I have better hair, I have better skin, I have better nails
    My women issues are less frequent
    I had a really bad case of psoriasis and now its almost 100% gone

Since I lost weight the negative:
    I have gout (kind of like arthritis and it flares up)-which can be triggered by over exercising or types of food
    I have sinus issues and ear canal issues -from a trip to Vegas and the long plane rides
    I have had one major issue with my ovaries but that's been an ongoing thing in my life.
    I am anemic sometimes - I tried to donate blood yesterday and my iron was too low...again :(
    I had a back sprain once
    I am gluten sensitve

I think at least 90-95% of issues are caused by genetics and not by actual weight loss/exercise.
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    I do know that losing weight (fat melting) does release toxins in your body, and people who have lost weight appear to have more toxins in their blood, according to one study...

Actually I thought the same and so googled "losing weight toxins released" and the following site appeared, it isn't so outrageous as first appears:

http://www.wellnessresources.com/weight_tips/articles/detoxification_during_weight_loss/

gawd, that is a SALES site.. they write stuff to scare you and make you buy their products. if you go to the next page you can buy their products this this and this to help combat the problem. I googled around last night the only thing I found that supported it were by wacky new age people. There were no solid medical studies cited and no credible md articles backing it that suggested that ill health would be part of losing weight due to toxins.

we do have toxins in our fat but they are flushed out with water. If we don't burn it off those toxins are in our bodies still. Those aren't new toxins they are toxins that are already there. that's another reason drinking a lot of water every day is important as is getting up a sweat regularly.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Yes; after I lost 40 lbs I became the most ill I have ever been in my life, but it had nothing to do with the weight loss: I suffered a severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic that has left me with chronic, intermittent joint and muscle pain as well as chronic painful nerve damage that requires the use of Prednisone and Lyrica to keep it at a tolerable level. After being in the best shape of my life for a little over a year, I fell HARD and FAST. It has been a difficult struggle for the past 8 months to battle the side effects of my necessary meds, regain my former fitness level and adjust to my new "normal".

As long, hard and difficult as this road has been, I can't imagine how much HARDER it would have been if I had not been in good health prior to getting sick.

My point is this: bad things happen to good people and illness happens to the fit and unfit. How you choose to deal with it is what matters.
  • I am so sorry to hear that they are all so ill after losing weight like that. I have lost 289 lbs to date, and my health is better than ever. I would HOPE the weight loss is not what has made them sick!!! Prayers for all of those going through such terrible things as that. I would not let those examples stop you from trying to get healthier. If you do it right, maybe it won't be an issue for you...I wish you the best. I have had RNY Gastric bypass and lost 179 lbs in a year since surgery for the total I gave you above....I have tried to do everything nutritionally correctly, and have had no real huge issues. I do have an ulcer from the gastric bypass and mono at the moment, but none of those are like what you describe. I also recently had to take b-12 shots every day for 7 days, and then weekly for a month...to be retested at that point....I hope they all get better and sooner than later. Hang in there, and don't give up!!

Janine Alfke
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    sounds like some final destination movie crap.....:explode: I will be jogging my skinny fit butt off from bad health news
  • fataalic
    fataalic Posts: 73 Member
    Yes; after I lost 40 lbs I became the most ill I have ever been in my life, but it had nothing to do with the weight loss: I suffered a severe allergic reaction to an antibiotic that has left me with chronic, intermittent joint and muscle pain as well as chronic painful nerve damage that requires the use of Prednisone and Lyrica to keep it at a tolerable level. After being in the best shape of my life for a little over a year, I fell HARD and FAST. It has been a difficult struggle for the past 8 months to battle the side effects of my necessary meds, regain my former fitness level and adjust to my new "normal".

As long, hard and difficult as this road has been, I can't imagine how much HARDER it would have been if I had not been in good health prior to getting sick.

My point is this: bad things happen to good people and illness happens to the fit and unfit. How you choose to deal with it is what matters.

The best answer so far. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    Thank you for your honesty and I am sorry for your medical issues and I do hope it gets better over time.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    It doesn't make sense how a weight loss diet done in a healthy manner (plenty of whole foods, adequate calories, etc.) could be the CAUSE of someone getting sick. Right now I'm obese. I've eaten a diet of mostly processed sugar and fat for decades. (I'd list what I typically ate in a day, but don't want to be responsible for a group puke fest.) My cholesterol, blood sugar, insulin level, and blood pressure are and have always been excellent. Was it the extra flab on my body that kept me healthy all these years? Was it the junky diet I kept? Now THAT would be an incredible correlation. But no, I'll stick with my healthier diet with a modest calorie reduction and continue onward to my weight loss goal. If this causes my health to go haywire, I'll report back. ;)
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Well, complications from weight loss surgery can lead to organ failure, sometimes after a significant period of time. Family friend of mine is going through this right now. It's not a problem with the weight loss in this instance, but the method of loss. The current theory is that he's deficient in some nutrient or other (common in weight loss surgery patients) and it led to kidney problems, which led to increased blood pressure, and the combination of the two (increased blood toxicity + increased pressure) is damaging his liver, which then increases blood toxicity even further. A nasty cycle, but avoidable if his doctor had put him in contact with a dietician to help him with diet, and put him on a regular schedule of blood work to check his nutrition.
  • Khushi22
    Khushi22 Posts: 47 Member
    Toxins are stored in Fat Cells... sometimes people put on weight is because body is protecting itself from harmful stuff & storing in form of fat. When someone looses weight or - FAT, toxins are released in blood steam.. hence its important to do DETOX!! One can also do liver-detox, kidney detox, etc..

hope this helps!
  • christianladybug
    christianladybug Posts: 41 Member
    I think it has to do with how well you take care of yourself while you are losing weight. Especially if you are a bariatric patient. Must take the vitamins and make sure you do what the doctor's are telling you to do.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    people put on weight is because body is protecting itself from harmful stuff & storing in form of fat.
    Thank you for the clarification.

All these years thought I got fat because I ate too much and didn't exercise enough. Now I need to move to the Arctic Circle (low pollution/toxins) to make sure I don't ever get fat again.

Thanks for the tip.
  • strongmindstrongbody
    strongmindstrongbody Posts: 315 Member
    Toxins are stored in Fat Cells... sometimes people put on weight is because body is protecting itself from harmful stuff & storing in form of fat. When someone looses weight or - FAT, toxins are released in blood steam.. hence its important to do DETOX!! One can also do liver-detox, kidney detox, etc..

hope this helps!

According to this article on a children's hospital website, the liver and kidney normally function as detoxers: "When the liver has broken down harmful substances, they are excreted into the bile or blood. Bile by-products enter the intestine and ultimately leave the body in the feces. Blood by-products are filtered out by the kidneys and leave the body in the form of urine."
    (http://www.lpch.org/DiseaseHealthInfo/HealthLibrary/digest/liverant.html)
  • jpsgrl
    jpsgrl Posts: 32 Member
    That has happened to me. I lost 42 lbs fairly quickly and began experiencing all kinds of weird symptoms. I ended up being diagnosed with Lupus. I have gained the weight back, and funny enough, the heavier I am, the less symptomatic, as a matter of fact, no symptoms. I struggle horridly with weight loss, I have had a personal trainer for 18 months, and eat like a rabbit, haven't lost a pound. Don't want to get off track, yes, I did get very sick after a dramatic weight loss.
  • __Di__

gawd, that is a SALES site.. they write stuff to scare you and make you buy their products. if you go to the next page you can buy their products this this and this to help combat the problem. I googled around last night the only thing I found that supported it were by wacky new age people. There were no solid medical studies cited and no credible md articles backing it that suggested that ill health would be part of losing weight due to toxins.

we do have toxins in our fat but they are flushed out with water. If we don't burn it off those toxins are in our bodies still. Those aren't new toxins they are toxins that are already there. that's another reason drinking a lot of water every day is important as is getting up a sweat regularly.

Well there is actually, that is what that article is about. Yes they may sell stuff on the following page, but the article is still relevant.

The person that wrote that article is a board certified Clinical Nutritionist.
  • MichelleB69
    MichelleB69 Posts: 213 Member
    Thank you! :) And I enjoyed my good health and weight loss before I got sick and now I KNOW how great it feels to be healthy and I LONG for that feeling again. I will get there again, it's just taking much longer than I anticipated to stage my "comeback" LOL
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Yes they may sell stuff on the following page, but the article is still relevant.
    Who are "they"?

It turns out that "they" is the the certified nutritionist that wrote the article.

The author of the article is also the founder and owner of the Wellness Resources, Inc.
    Byron J. Richards, Founder/Director of Wellness Resources
    http://www.wellnessresources.com/about_us.php

The person writing the article stands to make a profit if you believe that his products will clear your body of toxins.
  • __Di__
    Yes they may sell stuff on the following page, but the article is still relevant.
    Who are "they"?

It turns out that "they" is the the certified nutritionist that wrote the article.

The author of the article is also the founder and owner of the Wellness Resources, Inc.
    Byron J. Richards, Founder/Director of Wellness Resources
    http://www.wellnessresources.com/about_us.php

The person writing the article stands to make a profit if you believe that his products will clear your body of toxins.

What about the following:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/EnvironmentalHealth/22080
    That article is written by By John Gever, Senior Editor, MedPage Today
    Reviewed by Zalman S. Agus, MD; Emeritus Professor
    University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine and Dorothy Caputo, MA, RN, BC-ADM, CDE, Nurse Planner

Perhaps that one is ok?
  • melanie_J
    melanie_J Posts: 136 Member
    I think you have to take into account the damage that being overweight and obese does to your body. For instance, I have a fatty liver, which can cause me to go into cirrhosis later in life if I don't deal with the weight now. Now, if I let the weight stay and stay and stay for years and years and all of a sudden I drop the lbs like they weren't nothing, the damage is not going to be fixed right away, and i could still probably go into cirrhosis. What I'm trying to say is that there's underlying problems that may not be seen, and the illnesses are not caused by the weight loss, it's just the overall effect of being unhealthy for so long.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Not quite the same thing but the dude next door to my parents house lost like 70kgs... then got hit by a car while riding a bike.

i'm sorry but I lol'ed when I read this. smh at myself ;)

I'm just as cruel. :X Poor guy, I hope he's okay though!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!