Let me hear your well intended healthy recipe FAILS

Options

Replies

• vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    EmPhil95 wrote: »
    Those nasty 0 calorie Asian noodles. Never. Again.

My worst disaster was my attempt to make protein hot cocoa. I add the chocolate wedge to the milk on the stove top, add in a few tablespoons of unflavored whey, and start whisking. The milk heats up, the chocolate melts, but the protein powder stays clumped. Then it starts to swell up so I have hot cocoa with puffy lumps of whey floating in it. I think I can save it by putting it in my smoothie blender. Instead cocoa and minced bits of protein puffs start flowing out the bottom of my blender all over the counter. I blend it a little longer even though I'm making a mess thinking I can get it smooth, but it never happens. I have delicious hot cocoa with disgusting little chunks of chewy protein floating in it instead. I gave up, dumped it, and just made regular hot cocoa.

A similar thing happened to me when I tried to add protein powder to oats haha. Whey just turns into a soggy clumpy mess when heated up. I stick with pb in my oats for protein now!

I use pb2 & vanilla whey in my oats everyday just a suggestion- I mix the 80g old fashioned oats, 1/2 scoop of whey, 1 cup of almond milk, 12g of pb2 and sit overnight and microwave for 30 seconds in the morning works for me (makes 2 servings)

edited for typo
  • brentleyann1
    brentleyann1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I tried to make banana oat breakfast muffins. While I was prepping everything my daughter are one of my bananas to where I didn't have enough. I thought I would substitute some oil. It was so greasy I couldn't get them out of the pan.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    vnb_208 wrote: »
    EmPhil95 wrote: »
    Those nasty 0 calorie Asian noodles. Never. Again.

My worst disaster was my attempt to make protein hot cocoa. I add the chocolate wedge to the milk on the stove top, add in a few tablespoons of unflavored whey, and start whisking. The milk heats up, the chocolate melts, but the protein powder stays clumped. Then it starts to swell up so I have hot cocoa with puffy lumps of whey floating in it. I think I can save it by putting it in my smoothie blender. Instead cocoa and minced bits of protein puffs start flowing out the bottom of my blender all over the counter. I blend it a little longer even though I'm making a mess thinking I can get it smooth, but it never happens. I have delicious hot cocoa with disgusting little chunks of chewy protein floating in it instead. I gave up, dumped it, and just made regular hot cocoa.

A similar thing happened to me when I tried to add protein powder to oats haha. Whey just turns into a soggy clumpy mess when heated up. I stick with pb in my oats for protein now!

I use pb2 & vanilla whey in my oats everyday just a suggestion- I mix the 80g old fashioned oats, 1/2 scoop of whey, 1 cup of almond milk, 12g of pb2 and sit overnight and microwave for 30 seconds in the morning works for me (makes 2 servings)

edited for typo

You just now reminded me that I should have known better than to heat up protein powder on the stove top, because I too tried making proats and they were inedible. I've heard so many glowing recommendations, so I definitely did it wrong. I will try the overnight oats method next time and hopefully not have another story to tell.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I add my protein powder to oats after they are cooked as a mixin.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    that million post thread about protein cheesecake . . . i've tried 3 times, only once did i find it edible. it has like 2000 glowing endorsements, but i can't make it work. switched powders, mixins, all of it. at least i can't *kitten* up halo top.

Come on over I'll show you how to make it. Worth a trip. Stay for dinner :)

best offer ever! you're like the gordon ramsey of mfp from what i hear. lol
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    I tried making that low carb cloud bread. It was awful, did not look like the picture at ALL. Cloud my @$$, it was like a gross crunchy pancake.

Ugh! I forgot when I tried making cloud bread. Mine was like a wet, eggy ball of fluff.