Let me hear your well intended healthy recipe FAILS

Options

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I tried to make a "sundae" once with plain Greek yogurt, heated up apples and cinnamon, date caramel and walnuts. Plain Greek yogurt tastes JUST like sour cream. A sour cream sundae is no bueno

It doesn't taste like sour cream. Might have been the brand?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I tried to make a "sundae" once with plain Greek yogurt, heated up apples and cinnamon, date caramel and walnuts. Plain Greek yogurt tastes JUST like sour cream. A sour cream sundae is no bueno

Were your apples unsweetened? That might have been the issue. Add some honey to that yoghurt and that would be delicious.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    The reference to butternut squash reminds me of a friend who was vegetarian at the time and discovered the existence of butternut squash. After giggling at its appearance for a while, they made a curry with it. I don't know what went wrong, but it was christened 'Fart Curry', because that's exactly what it smelt like.
  • ona1990
    ona1990 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I tried to make homemade marinara sauce because I had an abundance of cherry tomatoes of the garden. I didn't use a recipe, but man I should have. It was too watery and too sweet
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I keep a lot of my baking goods in canister's. My absolute worst disaster was mixing up the salt & sugar for cookies.

Another disaster was thinking that I could use spaghetti squash as a substitute for pasta spaghetti in a spaghetti bolonges....nope!!! Ended up with lumpy, soupy nastiness.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    ona1990 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

I use Greek yogurt as a sour cream replacement all the time. It's good on tacos and chili.

Same here. Now I'm curious. Should it *not* taste like sour cream? I usually buy Oikos.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    ona1990 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

I use Greek yogurt as a sour cream replacement all the time. It's good on tacos and chili.

Same here. Now I'm curious. Should it *not* taste like sour cream? I usually buy Oikos.

It really doesn't taste the same to me.
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Chia pudding i tried it uhm well my chia pet was better

I'm a recent (like, last week?) chia pudding convert. If you get the ratio of seeds to wet ingredients wrong, your pudding will be crunchy. And if you fail to put in any kind of sweetener, then you're just eating soupy seeds in milk. It is easy to get wrong, but it is also easy to get right with a food scale. There's a chocolate chia pudding recipe that I love.
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I made cauliflower pizza once and it came out great but the pizza was small. Decided to make a bigger one and made the crust a little bigger. Tasted like and had the flexibility of cardboard.
  • BananaJoanna
    BananaJoanna Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I once made some chocolate peanut butter cups using PB2 and Stevia, back in the days that I was using WW and was terrified of fat. They were DISGUSTING. But they helped convince me to leave WW, so all good!
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    amtyrell wrote: »
    Chia pudding i tried it uhm well my chia pet was better

:D:D
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    So I had the idea of making Jello pudding, with Almond Milk instead of regular cow's milk (My BF is lactose intolerant and looking for ways to cut out dairy). Word to the wise, it doesn't set up.

I ended up with Lemon Soup. :(

My fiance is lactose intolerant, and we are big fans of Fairlife milk. Plant milks don't taste or bake the same for me, so Fairlife is our compromise. It's lactose-free actual milk (plus reduced sugar and increased protein over standard milk) so it cooks and bakes like, well, milk. The chocolate Fairlife is so rich that we'll sometimes split a single-serve bottle as dessert.

I am a Strict Recipe Follower. Fiance is more I'll See If This Works. Worst muffins ever - blueberry, but with almond milk (before we discovered Fairlife) and salted butter. The recipe called for unsalted, and I still don't think he understands why those were the flattest, saltiest muffins ever made on Planet Earth.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    kevinf2380 wrote: »
    My wife was trying to do more vegetarian meals and decided to make kale chips. They weren't coming out how she liked so she drizzled chicken stock over them so they came out crunchy.

Ah you just reminded me of the time I made Kale chips! I put way too many on the baking sheet & I believe put too much seasoning on the Kale. Needless to say the Kale chips came out very soggy! That same night I started to throw up & of course started to blame the Kale, but then found out the stomach virus was going around at work. Definitely scared me off of Kale for a long time.
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I tried to sub PBfit into an already-modified brownie recipe. The original recipe called for nut butter and pureed pumpkin/sweet potato, very little flour and sugar, and no oil or eggs. I believe the binding was to come from the nut butter.
    It was a goopy mess. Definitely not a brownie, but it made for a delicious PB chocolate "cake batter" that I gladly ate anyway. :grin:

Oh! The first time I ever attempted to make pot roast on the stove (like my mom has always made it). I was on the right track, but didn't check for enough liquid. The thing burned to the bottom of the pot and dried out. I was in tears -- first total cooking failure. My husband salvaged it by taking it to work as "jerky". Apparently his coworkers loved it that way!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    It's a simple one but important nonetheless - don't try to save a couple of hundred calories by skimping on the butter/oil when making an omelet. Omelets cooked without enough oil are disgustingly tough and rubbery.