Water Fasting...What's your experience?

Options

Replies

• Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting (up to two non-consecutive days per week) has been shown to improve brain function and ward off the brain deposits that accompany altzheimers. Like anything, you should ease into it a little at a time, so going five days without any food is not a good idea. Here is the article about the studies being done on fasting from Johns Hopkins University. http://www.johnshopkinshealthreview.com/issues/spring-summer-2016/articles/are-there-any-proven-benefits-to-fasting
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Once I did a fast for 24 hours for a fundraiser. Was hell
  • awildwomanatheart
    awildwomanatheart Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Has the OP ever stated the length of the fast? There's really nothing unhealthy about going 24-36 hours without eating

Yes, I was thinking for 24-48hrs.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    If you want to fast for spiritual benefit, you do it for that. Not for weight loss, not for some kind of mythical "system reset."

Several religious groups in the US have issued a call to a monthly fast to respond to efforts to cut anti-poverty programs. Many people are responding positively. But to try to turn that into "how much weight can I lose?" seems to miss the point of spiritual fasting.
    How do we fast? We are calling for prayer, fasting, and advocacy. Fasting is an effort to clear our bodies, our hearts, and our minds from the distractions around us so that we may draw closer to God. Fasting from food is one option that many will choose. But we invite people to take on the discipline of self-denial, which will help them rely more fully on God. Some may fast from technology, social media, or television.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    If you are otherwise healthy, then a fast for a couple of days probably won't cause any long term, serious damage. Make sure you have a Dr,s ok first, because you don't want to have a low insulin reaction or pass out from hypoglycemia, or low blood pressure. They are done for religious reasons all the time, largely because it is a sacrifice that the majority of people can do without a ton of preparation or destroying thier life.
    However, for health and diet reasons, as has been pointed out, there is no real benefit, and several possible adverse affects. So it is probably not worth the extra effort and discomfort.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Has the OP ever stated the length of the fast? There's really nothing unhealthy about going 24-36 hours without eating

That was the first thing I asked her.

Agree no health issue with an occasional 24-36 hour fast. (24 is really just basically OMAD, as someone else mentioned.)

Worth understanding it's not a great weightloss strategy (well, OMAD can be, but would not usually be called water fasting) and doesn't detox you. Whether it has spiritual benefits depends on the person and how it is approached, so it certainly could be worthwhile for that, IMO, but then I wouldn't focus on it in a diet context.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    @awildwomanatheart I guess it would help to explain why you want to do this water fast, and what you're hoping to accomplish by doing it? :smile:

Well first of all, I haven't decided yet to do one, but my initial interest was drawn by some friends of mine who have done so before. They talked about how it, in their words, helped to detox/reset their systems, start their new lifestyles fresh, and for one over time has helped her maintain a healthy lifestyle. I've already changed my habits, sticking mainly to proteins, veggies, fruit and only water. No added sugars or processed foods, and already I feel a lot better. I was only considering a fast for a day or two just to perhaps help detox a bit more. Nothing extreme, I assure you.

The benefits of a "reset" are purely psychological. There is nothing that happens in a biochemical way to "reset" your body due to a water fast or any other kind of alleged "jump start."
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I've fasted for 24 hours on accident or because I'm too busy to eat before. There was nothing spiritual about it. But I did get a feeling deep down in my stomach although this was probably hunger and not a spirit
  • chestinator
    chestinator Posts: 16 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I fasted (water only) for 18 days last year. My goal was 21, but I let my body tell me when to get off. Days 2-4 were rough at times with hunger n some back, possibly kidney pain. Day 5, once my body was in ketosis I felt wonderful. I'm not encouraging, n not a Dr. Just giving my own experience. Pros: Mental clarity (no more brain fog), my thinking was quick n sharp, my eyesight improved, pain from inflammation in my hips basically went away n has not returned, lost about 20 lbs, re-set my cravings n eating habits, n just felt really good (light, clean, bright). Cons: weight came back (coming off the fast is much more difficult than staying on it), stomach cramps, quite a few days with headaches n dizziness, some days feeling very weak (simply going up the stairs was exhausting). I did go on as usual throughout my fast. Stopped exercising though n slept more. A fast isn't easy. You have days u don't think u can possibly get through, just to feel great the next. I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally loved how I felt after. I'm sure some here will think I almost killed myself... I'm still here. I love food! Prob have a Mexican food addiction. This fast helped (me) break a lot of old habits and re-set myself for a better chance at maintaining healthier eating. I'll be starting another water only fast Jan 15, 2018, as will my husband. Fyi: whether u agree w/what someone wants to do or not, they'll usually still do it. Making them feel stupid usually doesn't sway them. I am not recommending or "not" recommending fasting as it's a very personal desicion, but if you're going to do it, above are my "real" results and feelings about it.

Trawling through those pages of unhelpful comments it's refreshing to see a post from someone who has actually done it...and survived! It's a miracle! Nice work on the post, you've covered my experience (and then some) - I just wanted to add my 2 cents...

My own little disclaimer - The following is by no means advice, just my experience with fasting.

I fasted for 6 days on water (goal was 7) a couple of years ago to see what would happen. My thinking going in was I might lose a little weight and experience this clarity that people talk about. Above all it was a personal challenge - one which I didn't complete (got what I wanted out of it) but so so so x 100 glad I did it.
    It had nothing to do with the weight lost (it wasn't that much really and put straight back on once I started eating again). I had moments of clarity but that stopped once I forced myself to move around and I felt like I was in a soft fuzzy dream.

Long story short - water fasting helped me self diagnose a food allergy that had been plaguing me for years. Read on if you want a blow by blow.

At the time I had a very unsightly skin problem that had gotten worse over the years. It looked like big angry ingrown hairs all over my scalp. These presented as big red bumps and a lot of greasiness (not a good look when you sport a bald head). Anyway I'd probably spent over a thousand dollars on lotions, potions and pills from various doctors ranging from some custom made acidic paste i'd have to smear on my skull to antibiotics that made my skin sensitive to sunlight. Some things helped while I was taking it but inevitably it would come back in full force. Anyway a few days after I started the water fast I noticed the disappearance of these bumps. At the end of the fast they were totally gone! A short water fast did what lot of dollars to the medical and pharmaceutical industry couldn't do. I figured it was probably a food allergy or something directly or indirectly related to food. The first thing I ate when breaking my fast was home made cheddar and broccoli soup. Wow it was delicious but holy crap my scalp erupted with those bumps and lasted for about 2 weeks. Fast forward and after some trial and error I now don't eat cheese. I tested it out and if I don't have cheese I might get the occasional bump. I'm still half halfheartedly trying to nail down exactly what the trigger is to this day.

Sorry to hijack the discussion but I just wanted to add a positive experience into the mix.

Cheers.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone here has ever done one, and if so, what was your experience? Yes, I've done it often. I find it helpful for weight control."
    How long did you fast for? usually 36 hours at a time (for example - 10 pm Sunday to 10 am Tuesday)
    What were your pros/cons? pro - a quick large calorie deficit, sometimes to offset a large calorie surplus sometimes just to kind of 'reset' as you put it" con - can't think of any
    Overall, how did you feel during and after it? Surprisingly not overly hungry during or after
    Would you do it again, why or why not? I'm sure I will. I've been doing it for decades (periodically of course, I have not had only water for decades).

• katurlacher
    katurlacher Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    MS asked, if I had cons and put the weight back on, how was it a valuable experience?

Basically, because I felt so good. I felt "I" was in control of my body for the 1st time. I felt great and wanted to continue feeling like that by eating healthy nutritious foods after. Hence, I did not keep it up, thus the return of the weight, n quickly. My personal largest reward was the decrease in hip pain. At 190 lbs, I mean I'm not skinny, but not that big either...was debilitating. Two Dr.'s stated Fibromyalgia. They put me on horribly body addicting medication. It was awful. I finally got off it prior to my fast. Though my hip pain is currently about 40% of where it was, been slowly creeping back, my personal pros vastly outweighed my cons. I was also prepared for some pain as my research prepared me for my body detoxing and healing itself. I tried to be real about My cons, but they weren't an everyday experience. My husband has never fasted, n was SO against me trying it. Yet, has asked to join me this time. There's that. He obviously agrees my experience was a beneficial one. Again, this is my own personal experience. I was on no medication, and have no known health issues besides my hips. *This prob doesn't matter, but I also have no gall bladder/rmvd yrs ago. I'm just
    trying to give insight of my own experience, as people are asking questions. ☺