Wedding Ready 2017!

DananaNanas
DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
edited July 2017 in Challenges
It looks like there is a decent group of us getting ready for weddings so I thought I'd put together a challenge group instead of just hijacking ascheidexiv's newbie thread lol

This thread is for anyone trying to get in shape for an upcoming wedding... Brides, grooms, mothers, fathers, wedding party members, guests, etc.

Post your wedding date, your goals, your strategy and get moving! :)

Replies

• DananaNanas
    Wedding date: 9/30/17 :#

Goals:
    - lose weight (so that I'm no longer considered "overweight"... that would be -10 pounds by bachelorette party 8/26)
    - Improve muscle definition, especially in arms and back (I can't really quantify this but I'm taking pictures and measurements)
    - Be happy and healthy on the wedding day! And NOT worried at all about how the pictures are going to turn out.

Strategy:
    - I'm starting intermittent fasting (IF) today and will try for at least a week and see if I want to continue. It's my first attempt.
    - Count and log all calories on MFP (yes, booze too) and stay within 1,200 - 1,500 (adjustments based on activity)
    - Quit drinking so damn much! Limit to only 2 days/week
    - Keep up with current gym schedule of 3x per week (cardio and strength training) and 1 misc. activity (yoga, bike ride, at least 30 min walk with the dog)
  • kaygirlhey
    kaygirlhey Posts: 12 Member
    Hello! My cousin's wedding is on Oct. 28 and I haven't seen those family members in quite some time and want to surprise them! My goal is to lose 14 lbs by that date (1 lb a week), so that means 179 to 165.

My strategy is to cut down on drinking and eating out to help keep my CICO in check.

Good luck! SW: 201 CW: 179 GW: 135
  • andi545
    andi545 Posts: 46 Member
    How is the intermittent fasting going I tried before my holiday two days a week
  • bowsontoes
    bowsontoes Posts: 44 Member
    Wedding Date: 7/14/18 <3

I'm in!

Goals:
    -lose ~1inch from my waistline. I ordered my dress down a size since the top is so pretty I didn't want to alter it since my bust and waist size are 1 size apart. Luckily my dress is very fluffy after the waist, no worries about my much larger hips.
    -work on toning my arms and back - the dress has a gorgeous plunging back and front, I want to show off some collar bone, back muscles, and Pippa Middleton arms
    -Get better sleep - I looked a little haggard and bloated in the engagement pictures from travelling all June

Strategy:
    -Actually stay under my target calories each day. Lately I've been eating at maintenance
    -Continue [solidcore] classes, they've already improved my waistline and seriously toned my arms in doing 3 months unlimited. I'll probably do two more 3-month unlimited cycles, and do cardio & weights to cut down on costs and so I don't stagnate.
    -Swap my nightly wine/beer/whiskey (sometimes plural) for chamomile tea and be in bed by 10pm. I had that schedule going for my 5:30AM workouts this spring, and I felt and slept better without drinking and with proper sleep!
  • andi545
    Apart from sat/sun no booze but it was a holiday and one night near on killed me hungover bad
    Your dress sounds lovely all brides glow and look good
    It's for me working with calorie counting
  • DananaNanas
    edited July 2017
    bowsontoes wrote: »
    I ordered my dress down a size since the top is so pretty I didn't want to alter it since my bust and waist size are 1 size apart. Luckily my dress is very fluffy after the waist, no worries about my much larger hips.
    -work on toning my arms and back - the dress has a gorgeous plunging back and front, I want to show off some collar bone, back muscles, and Pippa Middleton arms

I feel like our dresses and goals are similar! I have my 2nd fitting Monday and I'm nervous :/ I was hoping to see lots of changes from the first one on June 17 but I don't think there will be much, if any :( Also, I bought a sample gown and the top was a little big so I'm worried how it will look taken in...

andi545 wrote: »
    How is the intermittent fasting going I tried before my holiday two days a week

Well i'm about 17 hours in so I really have no conclusive results yet ;) lol I've had like 600 calories for my "Lunch" (first meal after fasting) and that feels a bit weird :|
    kaygirlhey wrote: »

My strategy is to cut down on drinking and eating out to help keep my CICO in check.

Me too!! thanks for joining :) good luck!
  • ansmit4642014
    ansmit4642014 Posts: 67 Member
    Brother is getting married 7/29 and all my family will be there. I'm 160.4 lbs and want to get down to 155! I have a little over a week...
  • andi545
    Aww I hope you have a beautiful day
  • ascheidexiv
    ascheidexiv Posts: 13 Member
    edited July 2017
    Wedding Date: May 2018

Height: 5'8"
    Starting Weight: 159
    Current Weight: 153
    Goal Weight: 133

I also hope that eating better quality food will improve my hair and complexion.

STRATEGIES
    1300 calories a day, log meals
    Diet: I'm cutting dairy, sugar, and wheat. I schedule in one or two meals a week to have a small serving of one of those things just so I don't quit or give up.
    Exercise: Practicing swordfighting for stage or medieval martial arts 2-3 times a week, starting running again when I recover from illness.
  • andi545
    Iv got into walking couple of hours this week my calories today are 1254 less fizz well iv had diet fizz it does make you feel better
  • FLCullen
    FLCullen Posts: 49 Member
    Yay wedding thread! I'm getting married in November this year and have so far made very little effort to lose any fat before then. The Fear is beginning to kick in now though, so I'm glad I found this thread!

Wedding date: 3/11/2017

Goals:
    - lose around 15 lb by 09/30/2017 (my dress fittings won't start until October); and
    - work on my arms, back and shoulders, which will be visible on W Day (I'd really like to lose two inches from each arms and 2-3 inches off my back/chest by November).

Strategy:
    - Eat at TDEE - 15% for July and August (that's about 1700 cals for me), cutting down to TDEE - 20% in September and October (so 1600);
    - Try not to eat back all my exercise calories (although on lifting days this is SO HARD because I am so hungry);
    - only log exercise calories from workouts (until last week I was also logging calories burned walking to and from work, but since I've been doing that 5x a week for 6 years, I think my body is probably used to it now);
    - cut down on carbs, in particular the processed variety;
    - hit the gym 4-5 times a week, and try to get one long (i.e. over 30 mins) run/jog outside once a week;
    - three gym days need to involve heavy lifting and/or Cross Fit style workouts;
    - create a motivating playlist on Spotify to accompany work outs/runs;
    - cut down on alcohol, especially wine (swap for gin or vodka when possible);
    - cook meals from scratch at home at least five days a week (we'll inevitably end up eating with friends of family at least one meal a week); and
    - understand that the following are not "negative calories": food that I didn't pay for; food eaten standing up; food consumed while drunk; food that is about to expire and needs to be eaten imminently.

I have literally no MFP friends, so feel free to add me!

My weigh-ins and updated measurements are done once a month, with the first weigh-in (since the initial one) being next Tuesday, 25 July.

Good luck everyone ;)
  • skymningen
    skymningen Posts: 532 Member
    Wedding data 08/14
    My role: Translator (there will be no best-man, so I am the only one but bride and groom any focus will be on)

Goal:
    • Be the best friend and translator they could have
    • Get a stunning (red?) dress and rock it
    • Be visibly healthy and not scary skinny
    • Eat whatever I want during that day without feeling guilty

Strategy:
    • Hit the gym at least 3x/week
    • Make healthy eating a habit (not an obsession)
    • Transition my beginner's training to a more "serious" strength/lifting plan
    • Not obsessing about my weight, because it's about how I look and feel
  • andi545
    My wedding dress years ago was red winter wedding you will rock the red
  • DananaNanas
    Brother is getting married 7/29 and all my family will be there. I'm 160.4 lbs and want to get down to 155! I have a little over a week...

~5 pounds seems like a lot for a little over a week! How's it going?
    Wedding Date: May 2018

I also hope that eating better quality food will improve my hair and complexion.

STRATEGIES
    1300 calories a day, log meals
    Diet: I'm cutting dairy, sugar, and wheat. I schedule in one or two meals a week to have a small serving of one of those things just so I don't quit or give up.
    Exercise: Practicing swordfighting for stage or medieval martial arts 2-3 times a week, starting running again when I recover from illness.

Hi!

I started taking a multivitamin as well as a hair/skin/nail vitamin about a month and a half ago... it noticeably helped my nails within like three weeks. I don't have trouble with my skin too much but I'm hoping to notice a difference in my hair... I haven't yet but it's hard for me to tell. I have really fine hair so I just want it to be thicker :(

Our calorie goals are similar.. I try to stick between 1200-1400!

Where do you practice swordfighting and medieval martial arts??? That's AWESOME!!!
    FLCullen wrote: »
    Yay wedding thread! I'm getting married in November this year and have so far made very little effort to lose any fat before then. The Fear is beginning to kick in now though, so I'm glad I found this thread!

Wedding date: 3/11/2017

Strategy:

- cut down on alcohol, especially wine (swap for gin or vodka when possible);
    - understand that the following are not "negative calories": food that I didn't pay for; food eaten standing up; food consumed while drunk; food that is about to expire and needs to be eaten imminently.

I have literally no MFP friends, so feel free to add me!

Alcohol is my problem too! -_- annnd wine is my favorite lol. I do like gin and soda with a fresh lime wedge though :) I feel like that's a better choice but I LOVE my red wine (doesn't help my discolored teeth at all either.)
    skymningen wrote: »
    Wedding data 08/14
    My role: Translator (there will be no best-man, so I am the only one but bride and groom any focus will be on)

Goal:
    • Be the best friend and translator they could have
    • Get a stunning (red?) dress and rock it
    • Be visibly healthy and not scary skinny
    • Eat whatever I want during that day without feeling guilty

Strategy:
    • Hit the gym at least 3x/week
    • Make healthy eating a habit (not an obsession)
    • Transition my beginner's training to a more "serious" strength/lifting plan
    • Not obsessing about my weight, because it's about how I look and feel

That's so awesome! Keep us updated on your dress hunt :) where have you looked so far?
    I hope this "challenge" helps you with your goals :)

• andi545
    I'm a no booze or lots of booze lol , my dress is from a local shop does evening /wedding and I shall
  • ascheidexiv
    3 pounds away from the 140's!!!

This app is helping me so much today.

Anybody finding they have less time to snack because of all of the wedding stress?
  • andi545
    Aww well done
  • DananaNanas
    edited July 2017
    @ascheidexiv I'm about 2-3 pounds away from the 140's too. That's my goal for next saturday 7/29 (my bridal shower)

@ansmit4642014 how are you doing this week? I know you have your event in about a week... any plans for the weekend?
  • ascheidexiv
    @ascheidexiv I'm about 2-3 pounds away from the 140's too. That's my goal for next saturday 7/29 (my bridal shower)

Congrats girl! Now make sure you plan to enjoy some of those homemade snacks at your bridal shower. :-) That's so inspiring that you are right on target!
  • Arctic_Chick
    Arctic_Chick Posts: 27 Member
    I got married in Oct 2016 but we still haven't taken our formal photos. Now we're moving out of state so we have to get our photos done in September. Can i still join this group? My husband and I have gained too many pounds this year! I need to lose weight for photos...

Wedding Photo Shoot: September 4, 2017

Goal: lose 12 pounds in 5 weeks

Strategy:
    - track food everyday in MFP app
    - work out at least 4 days a week
    - have breakfast for dinner at least 5 times/wk
    - try not to eat anything more than a light snack after 8pm