Runners

Options
2»

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ...do you use a hydration backpack? I was just looking at those but didn't know if I should waste the money if it's uncomfortable

I use an Inov-8 Race vest. It has two 500ml bottles, pockets on the shoulders for gels, camera etc and space for either a 3 litre bladder or first aid kit, spare base layer, rain jacket, gloves/ hat etc. It's very stable but can increase temperature.

A number of friends use the Ultimate Direction vests, but the thermal management issue is similar.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm a runner, feel free to add me.

Slowly building up my running after breaking my ankle and hopefully can get up to long distance again.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I have been using the Ultimate Direction TO version Race Vest 3.0 for long runs, whether on roads or trails. Most of my runs are half marathon distance, but I have used it during marathon training for runs up to 20 miles.

This particular model is very light and was designed as a minimalist vest. It comes with two 500ml bottles, and has pockets for gels, phone, meds, etc. The back panel has two zippered pouches for TP, phone, etc, but the top half of the vest is a monoscreen material, which helps dissipate heat. One other thing I do for very long runs in the heat is to fill a third soft bottle, freeze it, then carry it in the rear pocket. It provides cooling as it thaws, then I switch it out with the first empty bottle I've consumed. I love this vest.