did you really burn that many calories?

Options
Does anyone else find that some of the numbers for calories burned seems inflated? I see people posting that they burned 700 calories running 3 miles. Well, the general rule of thumb is that you burn 100 calories per mile ran. Or I'll see a post that someone burned 1200 calories cleaning. I wouldn't even count cleaning. But maybe i'm not giving myself enough credit for my exercise. thoughts.

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Those numbers are generally inflated. If you know roughly how much you burn walking 3.0mph for 30 mins, you can tell when something seems "off" about logged exercise.

It's pretty difficult for the vast majority of people to burn 1000 calories doing any type of activity. You'd have to be extremely tall and very over weight. OR you'd have to be able to do an exercise for hours on end at the same pace.

For example, I'd have to walk for 4 hours at 3.0mph to burn close to 1000 calories. I don't think cleaning for a hour burns that much.

I think if you spend like 3 hours deep cleaning the bathroom on your hands and knees, it's probably okay to log cleaning moderate for 1 hr.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't worry too much if other people want to delude themselves about their exercise. Just sit back and wait for their post saying they're doing everything right but they aren't losing any weight. Most often those who post those huge burns are only looking for a way to justify overeating.
  • ElaineRN100
    ElaineRN100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    For me - I like seeing the big numbers, inflated or not. It's very motivating for me. Weird - who knows. I don't eat my exercise calories back so it doesn't matter it MFP says I burned 10 or 1000 calories while walking. If you are truly interested in knowing a more exact science about calories burned during any said workout, there are other websites, example Livestrong or wear a HRM (heart rate monitor).
  • MidgeN27
    MidgeN27 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back the calories I burn...but I like logging my exercise.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    NO. I don't really trust the calorie burns that are listed on here. It says for me an hour of Zumba is 800 calories, uhh I'm sweaty but I doubt I've burned close to that. This is why I try not to eat back my exercise calories, otherwise I do believe I would be going over what I'm supposed to eat!
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    My first 5K I burned 600 calories according to my HRM. 100 calories per mile is an often repeated myth.

I do t worry about what others post. It doesn't affect me. If they ask ill offer an opinion.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I run 3x times a day for no more than 30min. Goal is to burn 300+ calories per session. I can increase or decrease my speed to accomplish my goal. I can also increase or decrease my incline for more burn.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    u are the second person today who has said the exercising calories seem high
    I checked mine with livestrong.com so mine are pretty close

I don't do running though
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I burned eleventy million eating pie
  • KathrynAlex
    KathrynAlex Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I rely on my HRM. MFP and exercise machines are usually overly generous with calories burned compared to my HRM. The difference can be as much as 200-300 calories depending on the activity and duration.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I do notice that MFP only picks one exercise and shows, for example, cleaning 75mins. When really I did 15mins of cleaning and the rest was running. It clumps all of your exercises under one exercise. I have never done 1000 calories but I am closer to my goal weight than some. Others I have talked to have a little more weight on them. So I would assume that it could be possible. I know a walked for me when I started (at heaviest) was around 350 calories burned and now I might burn 200. So height an weight are a factor.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I know the calories are over-inflated on MFP, but I want a log of what I actually did. My only other option would be to cut my exercise times/distances in half to get a more accurate amount, but I choose to log what I did and then only eat back half the calories or less (generally closer to 1/3). That seems to work for me.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I rely on my HRM. MFP and exercise machines are usually overly generous with calories burned compared to my HRM. The difference can be as much as 200-300 calories depending on the activity and duration.

The same. I rely on my HRM exclusively.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    First of all... if you see 1200 calories burned from cleaning, it's usually "from activities including cleaning" does not mean that cleaning burned all those calories.

Second, The amount you weigh makes a huge difference in how many calories you burn.. I used to regularly burn 1200 calories from exercise when I was 360 pounds...... Now I burn around 900... I'm sure when I lose another hundred pounds I'll burn even less.
  • Livingdeadnurse
    Livingdeadnurse Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I use my fitbit and turn on the neg count. So if MFP over inflates my calories it fixes it.
  • rodneyderrick
    rodneyderrick Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Calories burned increases with intensity, duration, and weight; therefore, a bigger person putting a lot of intensity in an aerobic activity will burn more calories. A person doing high intensity aerobic activity can achieve a calorie burn of 700 within 40 to 45 minutes.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    What does it matter? If it's not making you gain or lose...and if it's working for the person posting that much then why worry? Focus on your own calories, don't worry about what people post. BTW I can easily burn 600 cals in under an hour. I walk all day & burn way over 1000 cals every day.
  • be_patient
    be_patient Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I burned eleventy million eating pie

you just got me so confused with "eleventy" there...
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options

The same. I rely on my HRM exclusively.

Third that!
  • Changing_Charity
    Changing_Charity Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    100 calories per mile? thats not true...everyone burns different amounts of calories depending on their own body, weight and muscle play a factor as well. for example someone who weighs more is going to burn more calories because their body has to work harder to perform the task. mfp does over exaggerate on calories burned so its smart to use a heart rate monitor to get a more accurate burn.