did you really burn that many calories?

Options

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you match exactly the speed in the description that MFP uses for walking or jogging (about the only ones with good descriptions) and doing so flat no incline, then the formula's for that estimate of burn or more accurate than HRM calculated estimate is actually.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is

And no, 100 per mile is not always correct.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

http://www.exrx.net/Aerobic/WalkCalExp.html
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I never burned thousands but I also don't run , I brisk walk 4 to 5.5 miles so according to mfp I burn from 440 to 660 calories. I usually eat 50% of them back and when I'm not retaining water I have found that the calories burned have been correct for me after I calculated my caloric deficit for the week and compare it to the weigh loss for the week.

I think if instead of walking I was running my numbers would be closer to a thousand considering my size.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I don't even know how many calories I burn. My BMF syncs with MFP gives me a number and that's the end of my logging.
  • oOxXxOo
    oOxXxOo Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I take all my calories burned from my HRM and I always change the personal data within it to ensure I am getting the most accurate reading possible. I also take a glance every now and then at the cardio equipment numbers to check we are all in the same ball park... though I find the equipment usually is higher. I never use the MFP pre loaded calories for adding an exercise, I always use why my HRM says.
    Also its probably worth noting I never add things I do in a regular day.. so no housework, I dont add that I walked the kids to school, I dont log that I walked to the shops for a salad sanger. I only log intentional exercise.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I burned eleventy million eating pie

HRM confirmed?
  • flitabout
    flitabout Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I do add my cleaning calories because I have my diary set to sedentary. But I will be honest I know darn well there is no way in heck I burned stupid high amounts of calories gardening. When I am out there I am usually weeding and well my hands get a real workout! I get way more out of cleaning. I can break one heck of a sweat when I really get going! But I try not to eat all those calories that are listed back. I mean come on 1 day it said I burned like 2000 calories because I did a massive clean out and worked all day but it still seemed like way to many. I think you just need to use your common sense when you look at some of these. I add them so I can see how much and how long I have been moving rather than calories burned. Although there are days that I have on there where I spent 90 minutes at the gym a couple of hours walking my dogs mowing my lawn with a push mower cleaning and doing heavy work in the garden. But you can feel those days for days! They are the exception rather than the rule.
  • bk2hpy
    bk2hpy Posts: 5
    Options
    i have had the same thought. i took a bike ride tonight for 40 mins (light) it told me i burned 308 cals .. i"ll tell you that bike ride was way easier than the 25 mins of elliptical yesterday which the machine told me was 160 cals and the app told me was over 200. not sure what to think. but really i am taking the whole app with a grain of salt. the exact numbers dont mean much but logging everything encourages me to make better choices
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    My first 5K I burned 600 calories according to my HRM. 100 calories per mile is an often repeated myth.

I do t worry about what others post. It doesn't affect me. If they ask ill offer an opinion.
    That's almost impossible. Maybe in a 10k but a 5k is probably 200-300 unless you are majorly overweight or super big person.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    My diary is set to sedentary,but I quit counting cleaning, cooking, or any daily activities. When I do, I am more likely to neglect actual exercise. When I do log my workout, I always log less than my actual workout and more than what I have eaten as an attempt to make up for inflated numbers.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I don't eat all my exercise calories back, only if I'm genuinely hungry. This works for me. I figure the exercise numbers are mostly inflated. I have no idea what I've really burned. One of these days I'll buy a HRM.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    This is why, I use my HRM and only use that for calories. I log a custom exercise of what my HRM states.
  • fireflyz2
    fireflyz2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used to burn1000 occasionally, but to do it I was on the elliptical going fast for 90 minutes or so. I don't follow the mfp estimates. They seem inconsistent to me. I wouldn't count cleaning unless it is something major. Likewise i only count a small amount of what I have on the pedometer. (I may be shopping, but I wouldn't normally walk five laps around Costco, so I figure the extra amount should count).

What is an HRM?
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My first 5K I burned 600 calories according to my HRM. 100 calories per mile is an often repeated myth.

I do t worry about what others post. It doesn't affect me. If they ask ill offer an opinion.
    That's almost impossible. Maybe in a 10k but a 5k is probably 200-300 unless you are majorly overweight or super big person.

200-300 is A pretty low estimate. I average about 450 walking at an incline for 3 miles and I am not overweight. I use a Polar ft4.

So the person above may be running the whole time, I could see 600 calories burned then.
  • EvaB93
    EvaB93 Posts: 101
    Options
    Sometimes it adds all the exercises together and will only show 'cleaning', and not the other things you did.. i wouldnt count cleaning unless you were doing heavy lifting
  • HeadsPoppingOutOfCups
    Options
    I put in how much the cardio equipment claims I burn but I do assume it is inflated. I just make sure to eat a bit below (while assuming I'm also eating more calories than it claims well) to make up for it. I like to record exactly what it states on the equipment though because then I at least can tell if I am doing better than I was doing yesterday/last week etc. However between assuming I'm eating more and burning less I keep getting yelled at by MFP for eating like 200 calories less than I should.
  • milesvictors
    milesvictors Posts: 83 Member
    Options

This. I can burn an astonishing amount of calories as I am taller and heavier (6'4", 225 lbs) than many. In addition, I keep a high intensity throughout and am an endurance athlete. I average between 1500 and 2500 calories burned per day with my 2+ hours of exercise daily on the bike and running. It all depends on the exercise, intensity (read "heart rate"), length of time, and body type. Just because a study was done that takes a 120 lbs woman and how she burns 100 calories per mile doesn't mean a 225 lb man would burn the same.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I burned eleventy million eating pie

HRM confirmed?

Yes. It's metric
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I rely on my HRM. MFP and exercise machines are usually overly generous with calories burned compared to my HRM. The difference can be as much as 200-300 calories depending on the activity and duration.

This. Investing in a HRM was totally worth it.
  • Travelgal622
    Travelgal622 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't think we should worry about what others are putting down, we all have to be honest with ourselves. I burn a ton of calories because I am very overweight. So it isn't strange for me to burn 1000 calories doing zumba for an hour per my heart rate monitor. I also put down cleaning, cooking etc, not because I want to use the calories for exercise or for more food calories, I just do it as a little reward for doing my day to day stuff, it makes it kinda of fun to keep up with steps, cleaning etc....I think use a heart rate monitor for the most accurate. Have a great day.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I used to burn1000 occasionally, but to do it I was on the elliptical going fast for 90 minutes or so. I don't follow the mfp estimates. They seem inconsistent to me. I wouldn't count cleaning unless it is something major. Likewise i only count a small amount of what I have on the pedometer. (I may be shopping, but I wouldn't normally walk five laps around Costco, so I figure the extra amount should count).

What is an HRM?

HRM means a heart rate monitor.