Help me argue this point with my husband

Options
So my husband has logged in for almost 100 days and lost about 16 pounds, which is great. He started when I was about a month into my journey. For the last month, he hasn't budged his weight at all and I was starting to get worried because he has burned a ton of calories working out and I always see him weighing and tracking so I knew he was doing what he was supposed to be. I checked out his diary this morning just to see if anything stood out and I saw that for lunch he has been eating out every day. Things like barbeque with mac & cheese, pizza, etc. Now, I know that if you accurately track these things, it's fine. However, he is tracking random restaurants that are different, I'm assuming because he can't find exactly what he is looking for. I want to encourage him to focus more on what he is eating because 1 - he can't accurately track this stuff and even if he finds the right restaurant, that doesn't mean that the specific plate of mac & cheese or barbeque sandwich has the amount listed in the database. I think it's fine to eat things like this once in a while and hope the calories are close but he is doing this every day and 2 - I think after a bit you get to a point where your body needs a bit healthier foods to lose weight. That has been my experience. I focus now on what I eat, with treats thrown in, and I was able to get over any stalls I have had so far. I know his response is going to be "It's calories in vs calories out" and I agree, but I don't think he is able to accurately track these things.

Can anyone give me a better reason than I am laying out here to get him to understand? Or maybe explain it better than I am?

Replies

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    All that extra sodium he is getting from eating out means water weight could be masking any actual weight loss. Plus it's harder to know if you are maintaining a deficit if you cannot be accurate. If he can cut the eating out to once or twice a week he might see better results
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    beth0277 wrote: »
    Is he unhappy with his weight loss progress and has he specifically sought your guidance or help with the issue? If not, I would just let him be and let him do his thing. If he has asked you for your thoughts on why he isn't losing, then I would suggest to work around eating out at lunch every single day. Perhaps you could both prep lunches together the night before? Eating out every day is expensive anyway!

Yes. He has been very discouraged about not losing and with his personality, if he continues to be stalled, he will throw in the towel. I am trying to be supportive. I offered to start making his lunches with mine every morning.

What did he say when you offered to make his lunch and does he have a significant amount of weight to lose? I always make my fiancé's lunches but more for financial reasons lol. He loses weight in about 2 weeks back to perfect shape if he tries... :s
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    noirelb wrote: »
    Is he unhappy with his weight loss progress and has he specifically sought your guidance or help with the issue? If not, I would just let him be and let him do his thing. If he has asked you for your thoughts on why he isn't losing, then I would suggest to work around eating out at lunch every single day. Perhaps you could both prep lunches together the night before? Eating out every day is expensive anyway!

Yes. He has been very discouraged about not losing and with his personality, if he continues to be stalled, he will throw in the towel. I am trying to be supportive. I offered to start making his lunches with mine every morning.

What did he say when you offered to make his lunch and does he have a significant amount of weight to lose? I always make my fiancé's lunches but more for financial reasons lol. He loses weight in about 2 weeks back to perfect shape if he tries... :s

Yeah I make the Hubster's lunches, mostly because its such a huge cost saving. Eating out 5 days a week is damn expensive!
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

In this case, since he is getting discouraged, then I would just have a casual conversation about changes he thinks might be helpful. It may be that he has ideas (other than changing his lunch routine) about how to get his weight moving downward again.

What did he say when you offered to make his lunches? That is a very nice thing for you to do for him! And it doesn't have to be every day, but even a few times a week would make a difference I bet, if he is onboard with it.

You sound like a very caring and supportive person :smile:
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I'm waiting on his response about the lunches - just texted him this morning. He has significant weight to lose. He is 302 as of this morning and wants to get to around 220.
  • noirelb
    noirelb Posts: 216 Member
    Options

I'm waiting on his response about the lunches - just texted him this morning. He has significant weight to lose. He is 302 as of this morning and wants to get to around 220.

Yea that is quite a bit. If he says no, you know he chooses restaurant food over weight loss since you would be making his lunch... so not any more responsibilities added for him. BUT if he says no, try to propose the challenge. Sometimes adding fun to weight loss may be what is needed to spark his interest again and he will see his restaurant food 5 days from the end of the challenge so he won't see it as forever. Weight loss is such a serious thing and often discouraging during plateaus.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You may be correct in identifying the problem, but I am not totally convinced the problem is solely his eating out. I go through phases where I eat out alot, but have not had it effect the results I should be achieving.

Largely, I agree with what others are saying. He is an adult, and it is up to him to be honest and accurate with his diary, or not. You can't really make him do it.

If there are reasons you really feel he needs to continue to lose weight then that is something worth sitting down and discussing. But, I think trying to micromanage his intake and diary could lead to alot of tension and resentment so isn't a path I would chose.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    i agree he's a grown man bla bla bla but IF he is frustrated with lack of progress over time I don't see how pointing him in the right direction can hurt if it comes from a place of love. Anyhow, if he's okay with it then I wouldn't bother but if he's frustrated then maybe suggest he eat out at chain type places where the calorie count is more accurate. And no, your body doesn't get to a point where it needs healthier foods to lose, your body doesn't spare a single kitten with respect to this. If you really want to help without saying anything why don't you make what he's buying for lunch so you know the calories?
  • beth0277
    beth0277 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    You may be correct in identifying the problem, but I am not totally convinced the problem is solely his eating out. I go through phases where I eat out alot, but have not had it effect the results I should be achieving.

Largely, I agree with what others are saying. He is an adult, and it is up to him to be honest and accurate with his diary, or not. You can't really make him do it.

If there are reasons you really feel he needs to continue to lose weight then that is something worth sitting down and discussing. But, I think trying to micromanage his intake and diary could lead to alot of tension and resentment so isn't a path I would chose.

I agree that being hard on him could cause tension which is why that isn't the path I will go. I truly want to help him. We've been married for 10 years and I love him very much and want to spend a long life with him. He's morbidly obese. When I've talked to him about it in the past and he says he wants to do it his way or doesn't want to track, I have left it alone. Now that he sees the benefit of tracking, I am just trying to help point him in the right direction. I was actually getting worried he needed to see a doctor (although he had a normal check up in May) so I am a bit relieved to see that it's probably more related to what he is eating.