Open Diaries vs Closed Diaries

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I've had a friend who told me to eat more vegetables. It was kind of funny, but she was right. I can understand how people would be totally creeped out by people looking through their diary...but imo, it's fine and I think it helps you stay accountable and thinking more about eating well throughout the day.

I would have said, "there was lettuce and tomato on the burger".

It's so weird for someone to be the food police without any knowledge of my goals or even my budget.

The government said the tomato on pizza counts as a vegetable, and that's good enough for me.

There's generally rather a lot of tomato on pizza... although "the government" also said the ketchup on your hotdog counts as a vegetable.

Clearly, you've never seen someone like me eat ketchup. French fries - especially beer-battered ones are good, but reach divinity as as vehicle for huge dollops of delicious, delicious ketchup. If 1/2C of veg is a serving, so is 1/2C ketchup: It's concentrated!

probably more potassium too tbh. I like my fries the same way hehe
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm closing my diary. Too much judgy nonsense.

I do have days of 1000 calorie burns as per my Fitbit and even though I've posted screenshots of that data I was accused of lying. I've been accused of fudging numbers on seasoning even though I go by MFP, the label, and the manufacturer website. Hey if 3 sources said it's 0 calories, it's 0 calories! This jerk was deleted.

Now I have someone questioning why I use creamer every night. I'll log the creamer, but I won't log the tea bag and hot water that went with it. They're about to go.

And the diary is about to close.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

I do have days of 1000 calorie burns as per my Fitbit and even though I've posted screenshots of that data I was accused of lying. I've been accused of fudging numbers on seasoning even though I go by MFP, the label, and the manufacturer website. Hey if 3 sources said it's 0 calories, it's 0 calories! This jerk was deleted.

Now I have someone questioning why I use creamer every night. I'll log the creamer, but I won't log the tea bag and hot water that went with it. They're about to go.

Why not just delete the people?
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options

I have been. Then another one pops up acting nuts about my entries.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

This, for 1, but 2. I'd be suspicious of a 1000 calorie fitbit adjustment.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options

This, for 1, but 2. I'd be suspicious of a 1000 calorie fitbit adjustment.

Agreed but it's not anybody's business but hers, unless she asks for help.

And I would be more selective of friends at that point.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

I'd close it too under those circumstances. I don't get it, I really don't. From what I've seen posted, it seems like some people friend others just so they can make judgy comments about how their friends are managing their lives under the guise of "support". From my perspective, when a friend asks for help, you give it to them straight, otherwise it's really not up to you to follow them around managing their food and exercise choices.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Good for you! What you eat or don't and how much you eat is your business nobody else.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    mph323 wrote: »

I'd close it too under those circumstances. I don't get it, I really don't. From what I've seen posted, it seems like some people friend others just so they can make judgy comments about how their friends are managing their lives under the guise of "support". From my perspective, when a friend asks for help, you give it to them straight, otherwise it's really not up to you to follow them around managing their food and exercise choices.

Yeah, totally agree, and I find unsolicited negative comments really weird in the absence of a request.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a big deal either way. I love when my friends have it open because I can get some great inspiration and ideas. I would never judge someone's diet without them asking my opinion though.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open, but I don't really care what other people think about what I'm eating! LOL! I keep it open so the nutritionist I am working with can see it, and also because I think open diaries help give people ideas. I like to look at other people's diaries for ideas of things I could be eating!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Mine is closed. Mostly because I don't actually weigh my food due to a history of OCD/disordered eating.

I guess it kind of makes me a hypocrite when I point out flaws in others' tracking when they post the "I'm doing all the right things but not losing weight" threads, but it kind of doesn't since I realize that I have flaws and would never start one of those threads anyways.

• inertiastrength
    edited July 2017
    Options

I usually just log the milk I put in my coffee too... maybe they were just curious idk
    like were they "why didn't u log 2 calorie tea?" Maybe they genuinely wondered. I have also been known to drink creamer for what it's worth lol
  • inertiastrength
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Emmygm wrote: »
    I don't think it's a big deal either way. I love when my friends have it open because I can get some great inspiration and ideas. I would never judge someone's diet without them asking my opinion though.

Same. I get that some may want it closed and don't care at all but if someone has similar stats to me I like to compare just out of curiosity (I know it's going to vary but just to get an idea) Always disappointing when I click two times and it's closed LOL
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Visible to friends only. No time for random snarkmeisters.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Mine is closed. Mostly because I don't actually weigh my food due to a history of OCD/disordered eating.

I guess it kind of makes me a hypocrite when I point out flaws in others' tracking when they post the "I'm doing all the right things but not losing weight" threads, but it kind of doesn't since I realize that I have flaws and would never start one of those threads anyways.

No, because you know where you need to tighten up IF you lack progress. I don't log everything perfectly either but I am not confused as to why I'm "not lOOsing on 1500 cals" haha
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    The worst thing I've done to someone with an open diary is delete them for constantly eating VLC, I'm not going to "like" your eating disorder but I wouldn't dare have said anything either; that's their business.

I had to delete someone like that once, too--not only was she eating VLC daily, her News Feed posts were all about how she didn't have an eating disorder. So. Much. Drama.

• bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends and I have strong shoulders so I say " judge away" . I am doing something right obviously and I eat lots and drink wine :wink:
    This being said I will comment on diaries if they ask for advice like " why am I not losing " and I see they have a lot of junk food or foods that are harder to keep track of without measuring but don't ask if you don't want to hear it lol .
    I have seen where someone loses a ridiculous amount of weight in a week and then I look at their calories and see them at a very low 1000 or something and wanted to delete them but I don't . I struggle as I feel they will fail in the end but I try to keep my mouth shut unless they ask but if they ask then I am going to be honest with them

10116386.png
  • InkAndApples
    InkAndApples Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed, mainly because it never occurred to me to open it.

I don't think many people would be inspired by my gin and mini eggs days tbh.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only. If you comment, obviously I've opened myself up somewhat to it since I added you.