Walking and bulky thighs

Options

Replies

• pariskleesha
    pariskleesha Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My legs are bulky/muscly af big quads and calves I asked my trainer how I can slim them down and he said that my legs will not get any bigger and I as i continue to lose body fat they will begin to slim.
  • brockhampton
    brockhampton Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    From my personal experience (I hate running but loooovvveee walking), when I walked a ton when I lived in Europe, my calves lost a ton of bulk (I used to have literally square calves) and ever since I started walking on a 0.5-1.5 incline on the treadmill in the past month, my thighs have slimmed down a bit too! However, when I went hiking the Annapurna Circuit, I gained some calf and thigh mass back ):

So imo, as long as the incline is slight, you won't gain any mass (:
  • Cynnalyn
    Cynnalyn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I definitely gain muscle on my thighs from incline walking, but it's hardly bulky, it's more like long, streamlined muscle that built up and replaced the fat that I lost from walking and eating right. So if you walk enough, yes you'll gain muscle in your thighs, but it won't make you bulky or add inches.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Women tend to lose weight on thighs and hips last... apparently to help with child bearing.
    Its a hard life sister!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Cynnalyn wrote: »
    I definitely gain muscle on my thighs from incline walking, but it's hardly bulky, it's more like long, streamlined muscle that built up and replaced the fat that I lost from walking and eating right. So if you walk enough, yes you'll gain muscle in your thighs, but it won't make you bulky or add inches.

Sounds like you lost fat (woohoo!) and got more definition in your legs because of it... But unlikely any muscle growth. Muscle doesn't "replace" fat, they are completely different things.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    What's with all these accidental bulky stories? :huh:
    Bulky itself is a very derogatory term in the first place. :noway:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    If you're progressively increasing the incline on the walk while keeping the same pace you will likely add some mass to your legs. If you are already thicker in the legs and want to avoid adding size, I would keep it at a low/no incline walk.

really? walking adds mass? So you're saying if i walk fast and on an incline i'll gain mass on my legs?

Progressively increasing the incline, yes.
    Wait, so OP is eating less calories and losing weight, so that means their mass is dropping. That also means that their resistance (because of weight loss) is also being decreased. The amount of mass you're speaking of here is not even noticeable if ANY at all. Your knowledge is very limited when it comes to actual advice outside of the bro gym. Stick to that with gym bros since they believe in a lot of anecdotal and bro advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

:D:D The woo is strong with that one! Too bad the physiology isn't...
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    If you're progressively increasing the incline on the walk while keeping the same pace you will likely add some mass to your legs. If you are already thicker in the legs and want to avoid adding size, I would keep it at a low/no incline walk.

really? walking adds mass? So you're saying if i walk fast and on an incline i'll gain mass on my legs?

what happens when i get to like a 90 degree incline and can't progress anymore?

That's a ridiculous example. but what happens at that point is you will have massive legs. It's like me saying what happens when I cannot overload my legs anymore through a squat or leg press because I have run out of room for more plates.

As someone who lives on the side of a mountain and walks for exercise I can tell you this isn't true. In fact I've been lifting for 9 months and still don't have massive leg muscles. When you run out of weights to lift your muscles stagnate and no longer grow. Nobody ever got massive from bodyweight squats. In fact if you decrease the weight by eating in a deficit while doing the same exercise the muscles would get smaller.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Wait, so OP is eating less calories and losing weight, so that means their mass is dropping. That also means that their resistance (because of weight loss) is also being decreased. The amount of mass you're speaking of here is not even noticeable if ANY at all. Your knowledge is very limited when it comes to actual advice outside of the bro gym. Stick to that with gym bros since they believe in a lot of anecdotal and bro advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Will progressively increasing the incline while walking will not build muscle?

You can say all this stuff about not knowing anything but progressive overload is what matters for muscle building. If the incline is creating more stress on the muscles, they will hypertrophy.

You are correct that progressive overload will build muscle, but the increased load of adding incline is pretty small. Like in my first example, a person would initially gain a small amount of muscle, but as they ran out of incline would not gain anymore. If they then lost body weight while doing the same walk the muscle would shrink.