Walking and bulky thighs

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    If you're progressively increasing the incline on the walk while keeping the same pace you will likely add some mass to your legs. If you are already thicker in the legs and want to avoid adding size, I would keep it at a low/no incline walk.

I would so love you to be right.

I'd love bigger legs. I eat at maintenance or over but can't build leg muscles. And that is with increasing the hilly courses I run and the distance.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    If you're progressively increasing the incline on the walk while keeping the same pace you will likely add some mass to your legs. If you are already thicker in the legs and want to avoid adding size, I would keep it at a low/no incline walk.

really? walking adds mass? So you're saying if i walk fast and on an incline i'll gain mass on my legs?

Progressively increasing the incline, yes.
    Wait, so OP is eating less calories and losing weight, so that means their mass is dropping. That also means that their resistance (because of weight loss) is also being decreased. The amount of mass you're speaking of here is not even noticeable if ANY at all. Your knowledge is very limited when it comes to actual advice outside of the bro gym. Stick to that with gym bros since they believe in a lot of anecdotal and bro advice.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Will progressively increasing the incline while walking will not build muscle?

You can say all this stuff about not knowing anything but progressive overload is what matters for muscle building. If the incline is creating more stress on the muscles, they will hypertrophy.

You are correct that progressive overload will build muscle, but the increased load of adding incline is pretty small. Like in my first example, a person would initially gain a small amount of muscle, but as they ran out of incline would not gain anymore. If they then lost body weight while doing the same walk the muscle would shrink.

Color me confused, but I don't see how incline increases the load.

Isn't the load when you walk your weight? I'm thinking changing the angle changes the muscles activated, but not the load.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I'd love bigger legs. I eat at maintenance or over but can't build leg muscles. And that is with increasing the hilly courses I run and the distance.

I'm glad he's wrong. I mostly walk and run for exercise and climb a couple of hills every day on my usual route.

My genetic blessing is to have weight settle in my thighs and have fairly muscular thighs. A deficit and running thin them out like nothing else has.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

really? walking adds mass? So you're saying if i walk fast and on an incline i'll gain mass on my legs?

Wait, so OP is eating less calories and losing weight, so that means their mass is dropping. That also means that their resistance (because of weight loss) is also being decreased. The amount of mass you're speaking of here is not even noticeable if ANY at all. Your knowledge is very limited when it comes to actual advice outside of the bro gym. Stick to that with gym bros since they believe in a lot of anecdotal and bro advice.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You can say all this stuff about not knowing anything but progressive overload is what matters for muscle building. If the incline is creating more stress on the muscles, they will hypertrophy.

You are correct that progressive overload will build muscle, but the increased load of adding incline is pretty small. Like in my first example, a person would initially gain a small amount of muscle, but as they ran out of incline would not gain anymore. If they then lost body weight while doing the same walk the muscle would shrink.

Isn't the load when you walk your weight? I'm thinking changing the angle changes the muscles activated, but not the load.

Yes, you would be correct. I think I meant placing the load on different muscles.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

I'm glad he's wrong. I mostly walk and run for exercise and climb a couple of hills every day on my usual route.

My genetic blessing is to have weight settle in my thighs and have fairly muscular thighs. A deficit and running thin them out like nothing else has.

No pleasing everybody, we all want different things. Wish I could trade you a bit!

We both clearly disagree with @RAD_Fitness post though.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

The load does increase with incline, but short of steeper angles and/or increased speed it's not going to build muscle. In calorie surplus maybe slighty.

The specific muscles used could change quite a lot. Easy to detect at higher speeds on the right machines.

But in a deficit I don't think the OP has even the slightest concern of getting bigger legs.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

i have no certifications, i haven't taken any fitness classes, and don't claim to be an expert. But a very quick google search says the opposite of what you are saying, specifically this: "Walking is a cardiovascular activity that people of all fitness level can participate in. Walking effectively elevates your heart rate and burns calories, thus promoting cardiovascular health and an appropriate body composition percentage. But it does not provide enough of a stimulus to either build or tone muscle because it doesn't ever overload your muscle fibers.......Incorporating steps or hills into your walking routine may provide a temporary overloading stimulus that can cause some minor muscle development. But the muscle size increases are likely to plateau rather quickly, because your muscles will adapt to stress after a short time and thus the walks will no longer provide enough of an overload."

I wouldn't call minor temporary muscle development that plateaus quickly anything close to adding mass or hypertrophy.

I found that after a quick search on this page http://www.livestrong.com/article/339976-will-walking-build-muscle-mass-or-will-it-just-tone/

I barely add mass to my legs from my intense weight lifting program and on point diet, I just laugh when you say walking uphill is gonna put mass on me.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

what happens when i get to like a 90 degree incline and can't progress anymore?

That's a ridiculous example. but what happens at that point is you will have massive legs. It's like me saying what happens when I cannot overload my legs anymore through a squat or leg press because I have run out of room for more plates.

just curious, but where do you get your info from? Do you have any examples of someone with massive legs from walking uphills?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

what happens when i get to like a 90 degree incline and can't progress anymore?

That's a ridiculous example. but what happens at that point is you will have massive legs. It's like me saying what happens when I cannot overload my legs anymore through a squat or leg press because I have run out of room for more plates.

just curious, but where do you get your info from? Do you have any examples of someone with massive legs from walking uphills?

I found this guy. Talk about the ultimate in climbing hills and his thighs do not look massive, in my opinion.

http://running.competitor.com/2016/10/news/jim-walmsley-shatters-grand-canyon-rim-rim-rim-running-record_156640
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Again if someone is losing weight, then the load is less which means the resistance is less. That's regressive in resistance, not progressive. That's NOT rocket science. And to build muscle you need more than just progressive overload. Not supplying enough calories to build muscle means it ain't gonna happen.
    If this is the extent of your knowledge, you should go back and retake courses. You either got a cert at the lowest grade allowed, or a cert that is very easy to attain that didn't really cover anything but the very lowest basics.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Incorporating steps or hills into your walking routine may provide a temporary overloading stimulus that can cause some minor muscle development. But the muscle size increases are likely to plateau rather quickly, because your muscles will adapt to stress after a short time and thus the walks will no longer provide enough of an overload."

Sounds about right. My anecdotal experience of moving to somewhere with MASSIVE STEEP hills (non-car owner) some years ago bears out what most people are saying. I was not dieting at the time (rather the reverse!) and I certainly gained strength; what I had found troublesome in my first week became a totally normal walk home. I ended up being able to feel a perceptible increase of muscle in my thighs beneath my layer of blubber if I really squished. But hypertrophy? Nah. You couldn't even see the gains!
  • dandanacutie
    dandanacutie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    4 hours a day is amazing. I think I need to make more time for myself for walking. Do you walk leisurely or speed walk?

4 mph and somedays 5mph :)
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Walking will not give you bulky thighs. The only way you can build muscle mass is by lifting weights. Let me throw one caveat in there. your genetics will also determine how muscle mass is built.

I'll give you my example. I'm a 57 year old male lost approximately 80 lbs over eight months maintaining for over 10 months. I work out 3 to 4 times in the gym and I don't lift heavy I lift lights with a lot of rep. I'm not bulky more cut and toned
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering where those 4 hrs fit into your day. I feel like 45 min before and after work are difficult enough for me to fit in. I also can't walk much faster than 4.2mph!