How did you chose your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I didn't choose my goal weight, my goal weight chose me.

JK... I am pretty comfortable around 155 as a 5'6" female but I am now trying to lose 10lbs because I'm a little soft after being lazy with lifting for the past couple months. Go by bf% and looks if you're within or close to a healthy range for your height.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I was a cyclist, and I picked the weight I was when I was at my fastest.

But if you had nothing else to go on, a reasonable initial goal would be the middle of the normal BMI range, then reevaluate as you progress. If you have a lot of weight to lose, maybe set intermediate goals that get you into the next lower weight category - from "obese" to "overweight", for example.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    I was a cyclist, and I picked the weight I was when I was at my fastest.

But if you had nothing else to go on, a reasonable initial goal would be the middle of the normal BMI range, then reevaluate as you progress. If you have a lot of weight to lose, maybe set intermediate goals that get you into the next lower weight category - from "obese" to "overweight", for example.

Yupp this.

My first goal was to get under 200 (I started at 217) and then I've done 10 lbs increments. Im in the 180's now, approaching the 170s and then ill be in the "over weight" range. My next goal will be 144 (which puts me at a healthy BMI) and then I will evaluate from there, I might go lower, I might now.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Like many people, I used the BMI chart. It's not a perfect tool, but I needed some frame of reference. I decided to aim for the upper range of the BMI chart.

Getting to a healthy weight seemed impossible at the time so I set small mini goals and just focused on those. As I get closer to my first goal weight I know that won't be enough for me. I am aiming to go to the lower end of the BMI range now though I may reevaluate again as I get closer to my new goal.
  • jmsass83
    jmsass83 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended that I get down to 180. That seems a bit high to me (I'm 5'8"), but I'll see when I get there!
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Depends on your height and body frame. I'm 277 now but my first goal is to be 199 and then go from there. I'm 5'7 and have a large body frame so I've seen charts say anywhere from 143-163 would be good for me.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I chose the weight that I maintained for many years before illness struck and I became more sedentary.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Go by bf% and looks if you're within or close to a healthy range for your height.

This.
    I don't much care what I weigh if I'm happy with how I look!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is the top of the BMI range, because I have been obese for ten years and I'm not really sure what weight I want to be. In the meantime I'm shooting for 5% mini goals. 202 here I come.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Engineer's take:

I took this chart (Jackson & Pollock, posted by BuiltLean in this post

https://builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

mpfpzbt5iudq.png

Plotted the data in this chart as a function of age and generated a trendline. Solve the equation of the trendline for your age, determine your current lean body mass and back out your ideal weight. If you add any muscle you can easily adjust for it.

Per the formula I need to be at 11.5% body fat, currently at 14% at 179 lbs; to get to 11.5 I need to lose 5 lbs of fat maintaining current muscle mass. Personally, I'd prefer to add some muscle on top of that fat loss.
  • kierasayshi
    kierasayshi Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I miss when I didn't have to look at the size of clothes and I also miss wearing size 7 jeans! Also, over all I was just more satified with how I looked. Currently 183 lbs. First goal weight is 160, then down to 140.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 5 - 10 lbs below the top of my healthy BMI range. That way, I'm there and have a little wiggle room.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    One of my SOs wants me to aim for 130-140 (currently 260).

I'm tempted to ask how many SOs you have :blush: but will limit my comment to...the difference between 130 and 140 makes no difference if you're currently at 260. Just pick a number somewhere around there and go.
  • Iheartrunning36
    Iheartrunning36 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Height weight body frame chart....
  • siyana1985
    siyana1985 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i started at 265 and set myself for 140-160 (140 on here) personally i just thought about what weight i could see on the scale and not be sad about. i'm not really focused on the end result though, i more or less set up milestones and aim for those one at a time~
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people who chose theirs similarly to the way I chose mine. And in stages.

When I was around 300 lb, I just wanted to aim for 260-ish which was my "usual weight range" from age 22-28 that had gotten out of hand.

Once I started MFP, at 272 lb, I quickly decided on the goal of 220 which was 7 lb beneath my weight of 227 at age 16 when I was comfortably wearing size 18 (small for me).

When I hit 220, things were still going very smoothly/quickly with my weight loss and I got a bit cocky and went for 180 lb. I didn't think I would ever make it there because I hadn't been under 200 lb since my earlier teen years and I was 36 or 37 at the time. But I made it :smile:

When I got close to 180 lb, I decided on 150s-160s as my goal range. That remains my goal. I was in the 160s for about a year (2015), and I liked that size so I think that's where I'd like to be permanently once I can get back down to it. For the past year I have bounced around the 170s nonstop, ugh....still really happy with my progress though.

For reference I am 40 years old and 5'8"
  • wdedoelder
    wdedoelder Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am aiming for 150-160 at 5'6". I was too skinny when I was younger that I did not want to go back to that. 160 is just above "normal" range for my height and build.
  • MossiO
    MossiO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and female. I started at 220, and first goal was to get below 200, which I've just done.

At 170, I'm a size 12, and I feel pretty comfortable there. But part of me also would like to get to the middle of the healthy BMI range. I'll reassess at 170.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Mid range BMI, for me -- any lower is just painful to maintain.