How did you chose your goal weight?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,890 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Looking to see how other people have came up with their goal weight.

One of my SOs wants me to aim for 130-140 (currently 260).

How tall are you?
  • tgcakef
    tgcakef Posts: 111 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    My goal weight is 160 lbs. I was always told I should be about 80 - 75 kg (175 - 165 lbs) but that would put me in the overweight category (I'm 5'8") so I'm aiming a little over. I am legitimately large boned so at the top of normal/healthy BMI sounds about right to me. That said, I'll be happy if I'm 175 lbs.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I wanted to meet a few different goals.

1. Top of low-risk BMI: 171 lbs
    2. Top of low-risk waist/height ratio: 35"
    3. Ideal racing weight calculation, which takes body fat and muscle mass into account: 168 lbs
    4. To never have to step into a plus-sized clothing store again: Size 14. Achieved at 190.

To meet all of these, a range of 165-170 seems right. 15-20 more lbs to go.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Within the mid-high range of a normal BMI. That means between roughly 130-140 for me. For me the number on the scale is just one factor in my goals. It's far less about my weight and more about how I feel and how I look and achieving something that I never thought I could do. I'm currently at my lowest adult weight ever and it's smooth sailing for continued improvements.
  • StaceyO444
    StaceyO444 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've changed my goal repeatedly. Put your first goal. Get it and move it. Good luck!! If you're currently 260, maybe 235? 10% sounds like a realistic first goal. Celebrate when you get there, and move it to 210. Keep it attainable :-)
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I set my goal for the weight i am happy at which is 66kg. Currently 74. So my first goal is to lose just 4 kg to get to 70kg then another 4kg to get to 66.
  • logancsmama
    logancsmama Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal weight based on when I felt the best and looked the best. at 137 my chest bones stuck out, my tail bone etc and I was constantly bruising protruding bones. At 147, I was a size 4 and I felt great, I'm 5'3". I would like to go 5 lbs under that while I find my best maintenance path. I do mini-goals so the journey is not so overwhelming. I started at 252, by far my heaviest ever due to health issues and an 8-5 sedentary job. I'm now 209, so ONEderland is my next goal which will also be a 10 lb loss mini goal as well as I will reach my half way point with the loss of this next 10 lbs. This next 10 lb loss will be a big milestone for me.
  • Shortieweightloss
    Shortieweightloss Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just want to be truly slim. I don't like my face that much, so I want to at least really like my body. I've been at the higher end of the healthy weight range and felt like I still looked odd, so I'm going to try to get about 15 lbs below that weight.
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    First goal was 84kg from 107.6kg which was a weight goal set by my doctor and got me to a bmi of 29 to qualify for a procedure I needed. From there I set my goal to 73 kg which is a bmi of exactly 25, I'm 75.4kg, a little over my lowest a few weeks ago of 74.3kg, at the moment(I've been on holiday and went a little wild lol!) so not too far off. But I have just recently changed it to 70kg, that would give me a bmi of 23.9 and I haven't been that weight since my early teens so watch this space....

It would mean that I will have dropped nearly 13 points on the bmi scale in the end.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    My doctor chose a range for me of what is healthy for my body. My goal is to be in that weight range and get my body fat below 25%
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Initially just my favourite adult weight from about 20 years ago.
    Turned out to be a bit too high so nibbled more weight off in a series of steps over an extended period of time.

Hit a point where it was difficult to maintain, gained a bit of muscle, moved back up in another series of steps. Now mid-point between my initial goal and my lowest point. Turns out to be the very top of the BMI healthy range.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,811 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Engineer's take:

I took this chart (Jackson & Pollock, posted by BuiltLean in this post

https://builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

mpfpzbt5iudq.png

Plotted the data in this chart as a function of age and generated a trendline. Solve the equation of the trendline for your age, determine your current lean body mass and back out your ideal weight. If you add any muscle you can easily adjust for it.

Per the formula I need to be at 11.5% body fat, currently at 14% at 179 lbs; to get to 11.5 I need to lose 5 lbs of fat maintaining current muscle mass. Personally, I'd prefer to add some muscle on top of that fat loss.

that's an interesting chart but I think it is WAY off for older folks. Body fat is of course difficult to calculate extremely accurately, but I use one of those machines you grab ahold of. And my measure is the improvement or change vs trusting exactly what it says as gospel. I have a 60 yo runner guy friend who's BF is about 5%. As myself a 58 yo 5 2 gal I think 26% BF is too high. My goal is under 20%. This is one of my goals along with fitness and weight loss. As far as how I chose my goal weight, well it was fairly easy since I am a chronic yo yo dieter. I am actually a REALLY good dieter. My problem is maintenance. So that is actually going to be my focus once I reach my goal (again). There are a lot of excellent comments on this thread. Weight is not and cannot be the only measure of how you feel or your goal. I weigh the exact same now as I did when I was 17 yo. Unfortunately, the fat is not distributed the same. sigh. And my clothes do not fit the same nor am I in the same physical condition.
  • joycooke2017
    joycooke2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Didn't have time to read through all the replies, but wanted to offer you encouragement! I picked the same number but know as I near that goal, I might need to adjust it. I set the goal of 130 and broke it down into 10 sections... now I have mini goals to reach and 9 more reasons to celebrate!...congrats on choosing to change your lifestyle. So much more than weight loss will come from this!
  • thewindandthework
    thewindandthework Posts: 531 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    When I first started, I had no idea what to use as my goal weight, so I did some Googling and found six or seven "recommended" or "ideal" body weights for someone of my height and gender, which varied wildly.

So I averaged them together! It gave me 161 pounds, so I set that as my goal. Then after losing about 50 pounds (putting me at around 230), I took stock and reassessed my goal. I decided that 161 was probably going to be lower than I really wanted, so I adjusted my goal to 180, which is my current goal.

The plan is to hit that goal, maintain it for a couple months, and decide if I want to keep losing, stay put, or gain a little.
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Carefully !
    Previously I had a goal weight (which I reached) but couldn't maintain so just gave up.
    I plateaued about 10 lbs heavier - and that was my body telling me something.
    So I have a desire to get to something in healthy bmi range. Have just read about frame size - and that would indicate I'm a large frame. The combination of healthy bmi and frame size is right around where I plateaued previously so would seem to support what my body was telling me.
    Only time will tell ...…
  • sosteach
    sosteach Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I set my goal weight at about ten pounds below the high number on the BMI chart. That left me with 100 pounds to lose. I am 40 down and I figure when I get closer to my goal I can adjust it based on what I see and feel. The main focus I have is on behavior goals instead of weight goals. Things I can control. Like I will walk for an hour every day. I will weigh and log all of my food. ETc Etc
  • puzzledstill
    puzzledstill Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    Engineer's take:

I took this chart (Jackson & Pollock, posted by BuiltLean in this post

https://builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/

mpfpzbt5iudq.png

Plotted the data in this chart as a function of age and generated a trendline. Solve the equation of the trendline for your age, determine your current lean body mass and back out your ideal weight. If you add any muscle you can easily adjust for it.

Per the formula I need to be at 11.5% body fat, currently at 14% at 179 lbs; to get to 11.5 I need to lose 5 lbs of fat maintaining current muscle mass. Personally, I'd prefer to add some muscle on top of that fat loss.

that's an interesting chart but I think it is WAY off for older folks. Body fat is of course difficult to calculate extremely accurately, but I use one of those machines you grab ahold of. And my measure is the improvement or change vs trusting exactly what it says as gospel. I have a 60 yo runner guy friend who's BF is about 5%. As myself a 58 yo 5 2 gal I think 26% BF is too high. My goal is under 20%. This is one of my goals along with fitness and weight loss. As far as how I chose my goal weight, well it was fairly easy since I am a chronic yo yo dieter. I am actually a REALLY good dieter. My problem is maintenance. So that is actually going to be my focus once I reach my goal (again). There are a lot of excellent comments on this thread. Weight is not and cannot be the only measure of how you feel or your goal. I weigh the exact same now as I did when I was 17 yo. Unfortunately, the fat is not distributed the same. sigh. And my clothes do not fit the same nor am I in the same physical condition.

Chart doesn't go up to my age !!!!!
    Feeling old !!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Never really had one...I had a certain BF% and body composition in mind...arbitrary goal weight is arbitrary...weight is comprised of many things.

Maybe just start with the high end of BMI and go from there...IMO, this is something that should be re-evaluated as you go rather than having some fixed scale weight goal.