Exercising like a madwoman, losing NOTHING

Options
124»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your doctor specifically about Cushings and other cortisol related issues? Like you I have a large weight circumference and mine was at least partly caused by cortisol coming from a benign ovarian tumor. The tumor and ovary were removed and my waist is coming down, but slowly compared to the rest of me. I am 5'8" 187 and 38" waist. My legs and the rest of my body are pretty muscular, I just have a giant fat pad on my stomach - which is specifically caused by cortisol, that is what excess cortisol does.

fat pads can also be caused by some genetic cholesterol issues as well.I had fat pads on my body due to having familial hypercholesterolemia. they have shrunk down to almost nothing now.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Bill and Bob are twins, both 5'10" tall, both weigh 183lbs.
    Bill has 8% body fat, Bob has 25% body fat.
    Bill has a 30" waist, Bob has a 39" waist.

If the only thing you are judging by is the scale, maybe it is not telling you the whole story.
    Clothing (My belt was my favorite one, as it is pretty obvious when you hit a new hole), tape measure, weekly pictures (same outfit, same pose each week), etc.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    donsred wrote: »
    Food diary is open if you care to look. Note that it is refusing to show my exercise calories on Friday and Saturday, but the exercise shows on the activity page. Also, this was "recovery week" in P90X, so I did more yoga and less cardio than in past weeks (and I totally disagree that deathcamp yoga with Tony Horton isn't a workout, but MFP insists it's worth very few calories).

As for the protein shake being high in calories, the one I tried Saturday was 160 calories for 30 grams of protein, and I drank it with oat milk, so, it was almost 300 calories. That's a lot of calories IMHO. Still, going for it, since you all advised increasing cals and protein. Had one today that was less, but also had lower protein. Have also added a scoop of protein powder to the morning green smoothie - adding 10g to each smoothie.

Thanks to all of those who know body comp stuff, I did shift from more cardio to weights, and will hope that helps too. Thanks very much for help on knowing how much protein to eat - that helps a lot.

And I am doing my best to chill, bbell1985. Honest. ;-)

@donsred I'm a yoga teacher and agree that "deathcamp yoga with Tony Horton" is much more vigorous than "Stretching, hatha yoga."

Since a lot of the YogaX routine is power-type yoga which was inspired by a mashup of British army calisthenics plus traditional yoga poses, try using "Calisthenics, home, light/moderate effort."
  • donsred
    donsred Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have an appt for Friday and will ask the doc to check things out. Thank you all for the advice -
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm concerned that you may have a medical issue, such as fibroid tumors, if your waist is that large at your current weight. You should get a complete checkup and discuss this with your doctor

Yeah, I always thought my waist size was kind of too big considering the rest of my frame size after weight loss. No symptoms at all but doctor discovered a mass in my abdomen yesterday. CT scan revealed massive fibroids. So you can have them and not really notice it. Worth getting checked out. Lots of different treatment options available.
  • jesshasredhair
    jesshasredhair Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I uploaded two photos - maybe that will help? I swear I'm not one of those people who is skinny as a stick and complains about their weight.

Yes, I've wondered if I should be eating more, but I'm not hungry, so that seems odd. I'll try it anyway, based on your comments. I started adding a protein shake today. P90X is high impact, high weight lifting. I avg 12% protein, 58% carb, 30% fat (from nuts, avocado, etc, not from junk). Eating vegan makes increasing protein hard, but I work on it. The shakes will help.

I was told to measure my waist at my belly button, so if that's wrong, then yes, the measurement is wrong - but you can see from my photos that I've definitely got a spare tire that's not going anywhere.

Also, yes, I've visited the doctor. He says not to worry about it. My cholesterol is 160, and I'm in the right weight band. I'm hypothyroid, and yes, that makes it much, much harder to lose weight no matter what. I take meds, but it's still hard. Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it!

Have you been to the GYN recently? I have uterine fibroids that give me what my GYN calls a 20 week uterus. I don't actually look like I'm 5 months pregnant, but carrying around a soccer ball definitely contributes to my waist line.
    I uploaded two photos - maybe that will help? I swear I'm not one of those people who is skinny as a stick and complains about their weight.

Yes, I've wondered if I should be eating more, but I'm not hungry, so that seems odd. I'll try it anyway, based on your comments. I started adding a protein shake today. P90X is high impact, high weight lifting. I avg 12% protein, 58% carb, 30% fat (from nuts, avocado, etc, not from junk). Eating vegan makes increasing protein hard, but I work on it. The shakes will help.

I was told to measure my waist at my belly button, so if that's wrong, then yes, the measurement is wrong - but you can see from my photos that I've definitely got a spare tire that's not going anywhere.

Also, yes, I've visited the doctor. He says not to worry about it. My cholesterol is 160, and I'm in the right weight band. I'm hypothyroid, and yes, that makes it much, much harder to lose weight no matter what. I take meds, but it's still hard. Thanks for all of your input. I really appreciate it!

Have you been to the GYN recently? I have uterine fibroids that give me what my GYN calls a 20 week uterus. I don't actually look like I'm 5 months pregnant, but carrying around a soccer ball definitely contributes to my waist line.

I'm getting tested for fibroids next week. Do they make it hard to lose weight? I struggle to just maintain 180 lbs but yet work out orangetheory HARD 5-6 times a week and eating below or at BMR and not eating exercise calories back. With a history of PCOS it's always been a struggle, even when I raced an Ironman. So frustrating.

And it's so interesting to read this thread and how reductionist some of the responses are.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

I'm getting tested for fibroids next week. Do they make it hard to lose weight? I struggle to just maintain 180 lbs but yet work out orangetheory HARD 5-6 times a week and eating below or at BMR and not eating exercise calories back. With a history of PCOS it's always been a struggle, even when I raced an Ironman. So frustrating.

And it's so interesting to read this thread and how reductionist some of the responses are.

BMR is what your body needs just to function. you arent supposed to eat at or below that. you are putting your body under a lot of stress doing that. could be one of the reasons why.you are supposed to figure out your TDEE and subtract 250 for half a lb a week from that,or 500 for a lb. you are supposed to eat back exercise calories when using mfp so you are netting really low numbers,thats not healthy either.. you should be losing weight regardless but your cortisol levels could be high due to the stress your body is under,or if you have been doing this for awhile you could have whats called adaptive thermogenesis.