I need help with my husband!!

Options
2»

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Is he having health issues? You don't specify in your OP, but "he'll get sick and die" is really hyperbolic if he's not having any health issues and if his only issue is that he doesn't want to eat more fruits and vegetables. If my partner told me I'd die if I didn't eat a vegetable, I'd probably dig in my heels and become even more stubborn too.
  • amandallee
    amandallee Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Maybe make it a thing between you too to sit down and find out what's on sale in your area every week and try a recipe with one new vegetable a week? Do you have an Aldi in your area? Their produce is usually always cheap. I'm an extremely picky eater as well so I feel his pain. Don't harp on him bc that only makes it worse, speaking from experience. Try cooking something and have him taste it just to see if he likes it. "This is really good, would you like to try it?" Make it a date for you two or make a game out of it - whoever tries the most vegetables in a month gets - X. Childish advice maybe but it works for me! Lol
  • beelzeboobs21
    beelzeboobs21 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You do you. In my household, I do nearly all of grocery shopping and cooking. When I decided to make a change, I started buying and cooking healthier. If my partner wants junk, they can go get it themselves. The healthy stuff is what I make.

Chances are, he will see the progress you're making and want in on it. That's exactly what happened to us. My man did not care about eating healthier or working out, but he expressed a desire to lose weight. I've dropped about 30 lbs in the last 4 months. When he saw my progress, he was inspired to join me. He has since been eating the healthier meals I'm making. Mind you, he doesn't work as hard and he stills eats some crap but it's a start and I'll take it.

Also, he may just hate the way he's had veggies before. Is he used to canned/boiled/gross mush? My partner's Mom only used canned or frozen and that put him off vegetables until I came along. Maybe that will help?
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    My husband is a very picky eater and he doesnt like much fruits and vegetables. I wish hed join me on this journey to living and eating better. He seems convinced that fruits and veggies are too expensive for him to learn to like. He makes up excuses such as " why do i need to spend more money on foods i hate than spend less money on what we are already eating?" Ive told him that eating better will help him feel better and hell live longer nad happier but thats not enough to convince him. Even explaining hell get sick and die doesnt get through to him either. His pickyness discourages me from wanting to eat better. Im not sure what to do about it.

You can't make another person eat like you or try to lose weight when you do. He has to want to do it for himself. Just buy and eat the things you want. I have to fix 2-3 different meals almost every evening in my house because my kids eat differently than I do and so does my husband. :) I'm used to it.
  • mss342
    mss342 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    mss342 wrote: »
    He can eat whatever he wants and lose weight, just can't eat as much as he wants. Even if you do all the cooking, what's stopping him from running to McDonalds or grabbing some cookies or ice cream after? You can not lose weight for him, it will only happen if he wants it to happen, not you wanting it to happen. Pictures are the best motivation. Start taking pictures all the time. If he says he doesn't like his picture taken ask him why. He has to realize he's over weight before he can acknowledge there's a problem

I think that's a terrible idea. It is possible to be overweight and know it and know that your health is being negatively affected by it and still not consider losing weight to be a priority at the moment. The OP is already harping on him about how he's going to get sick and die. Believe me, he knows that he is overweight and she's unhappy about it. What she needs to do is get her own weight and health under control instead of focusing on him so much.

The OP is asking how to get him to lose weight. This will put her on the right path to do so. It's one thing to tell him, it's another thing for him to see it in pictures. My advice answers the OPs question, yours simply imposes your own opinion, and doesn't help in any way.
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    My husband had ZERO interest on joining my health journey back in Jan 2016, which was fine. I wasn't doing it for him; I was doing it for me. I lost 40 lbs, gained way more energy, sleep better, etc, due to healthy diet changes... guess what? My husband eventually came around to start following some of the same general principles. Took him a year, but my patience is paying off - it's his internal motivation to make changes now, not my pushing him to do it. I think that this approach will make him ultimately more successful - he's 10 lbs down so far! That's my two cents - you do you and if he sees the value in your positive changes, he might just make up his mind to eat more fruits and veggies, too. Good luck. Have patience.
  • mumpuff
    mumpuff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    From your op I guess that you dont want to make two seperate meals (healthy for you and whatever he will eat) and that this is putting you off eating well.
    You could do things that have hidden veggies in them (a bit like you would with a picky child) so he's getting the nutrients without noticing, like blending peppers, onion and carrots into a tomato sauce and serving with pasta and meatballs or as a pizza topping.
    Or make healthy sides that he can have or not (I have loads of salad that everyone else ignores).
    Write up a costing of what your healthy meals cost v his usual meals and show him the difference (I find veggies go further and overall cost less than meat).
    Finally, you could be brutal and say "I'm making this for dinner, if you want something else make it yourself".
    It is hard to make someone change and in the end you can take a horse to water but not make it drink. Do this for yourself and if he wants to join you then he will, but it might take time.
    Hope that helps and good luck