What do you eat to lose weight?

Replies

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Robocop27 wrote: »
    Ha ha. After a while it doesn't work for me.

Then you're not counting calories, or not counting calories correctly.

Use a food scale to weigh everything that isn't a liquid. Add your recipes into the recipe builder.

And, unless you've had your metabolism tested, there's no way of telling if it is faster/slower. Weight loss is all about calories and not the foods you should/shouldn't eat.

Good luck.
  • cerise_noir
    bruby28 wrote: »
    Try to eat as clean as possible . Stick to your calorie goal and exercise daily even if just walking . Stay away from processed foods , or maybe keep those as a reward once in a while . Fill up on good foods with fiber . Log everything into mfp to stay on track
    Not necessary. Unless you're talking about washing vegetables and fruit.

Losing weight is about calories, not eating clean. I got up to 275lbs eating "clean" vegetarian.
  • cerise_noir
    Your meal looks yummy. Im no expert i recently talked with a nurtuonist. She said to stay away from simple carbs-white sugar, bread, rice. Go towards complex carbs-brown rice, wheat bread etc. I did know this it just putting it into practice
    A nutritionist can get their degree over the weekend. This post is exactly why one shouldn't listen to one. Nutritionists have no idea what they're talking about, a dietitian in the other hand goes to University and earns their degree in around 4 years......and wouldn't tell anyone to cut out foods such as sugar, bread and rice. I'm over 100lbs down including sugar, bread and rice in my diet.
    Hypsibius wrote: »
    Why are people so rude in response to questions like this?

Short, arrogant responses about CICO aren't helpful.

Listen to Lwtibury. There are absolutely ways to change what you're eating, lower calories and find foods that will make you feel better, provide more satiety / less cravings etc. and help you to hit your goals.

Experimenting is key! I've found that it's easiest for me if the vast majority of what my diet is at home is lots of veggies, proteins, some quinoa (but mostly lower carb) with some freedom to branch out on weekends. I track macros.

Doing Whole30 for a month helped me come up w/ a lot of great filling dishes that are 500 to 600 cals or less, and taste awesome. Now even post-Whole30 and eating a more flexible diet I am always working these into my schedule during the week.
    CICO isn't nutrition or a diet; it's the energy balance equation. Every diet in existence falls under CICO, even your beloved whole 30 (which was not designed for weight loss but for finding food intolerances, btw). Usually those who spout that CICO is unhelpful do not understand what CICO actually is...

CICO responses are 100% helpful. Eat less calories than you burn- weight loss happens here if you're accurate with the numbers.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,839 Member
    Dividing things into simple and complex carbohydrates has been shown to be an overly simplistic way to look at it. Read the following for a more nuanced and modern analysis: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/carbohydrates/carbohydrates-and-blood-sugar/
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Start weighing out the oil/butter/ghee you put in your cooking and reduce that. When you log the recipe in to MFP, I am betting you will be shocked by how many calories the oil/butter/ghee is adding. You might try subbing yogurt. The sauce will not be quite as rich but still satisfying.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    Usually those who spout that CICO is unhelpful do not understand what CICO actually is...

Indeed...
  • Rusty740
    Rusty740 Posts: 749 Member
    You've got this. One thing I realized after trying to lose weight, and succeeding for the first 10 lbs or so was "oh no what have I done, I can't eat as much food as I want too". I had to come to the realization that this was a life change, a permanent thing, but there's good news. If you are consistent and make your calorie goals reasonable, and take a reasonable amount of time to lose weight (a year or more even). Then your body will react. You'll find that after a while you no longer feel like you need to eat as much as you did before. You will get better at regulating yourself.

As for specific foods that helped me, protein was the most important. I found that if I ate more than necessary, say 1g/lb of bodyweight, then I was far less hungry throughout the day. Sometimes it wasn't all that tasty, like eggwhites and vegetables for breakfast, but it worked extremely well.

I love to have 0.4% MF cottage cheese, egg whites, edamame beans (baby soy beans). They all work well.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    You can make some lower calorie substitutions. Instead of rice, try shirataki rice or cauliflower rice. Pasta, sub shirataki or zoodles. Coconut milk, light coconut milk. Instead of cooking veggies in oil, use water flavored with dry soup mix for flavor. Use leaner cuts of meat. I eat salad a lot and use very light dressing or salsa instead of regular dressing.
  • Sankf
    Sankf Posts: 8 Member
    I always do crash diets, and end up putting my weight back on so I am trying to eat healthy in a way that I don't put it back on. Can you give me some advice and tips that work for you to maintain your weight loss?

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Sankf wrote: »
    Quit sugar and keep your carbs at 40%of your daily consuming +exercise

How can you quit sugar and keep eating carbs???

OP ignore this
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    Okay, the title of this is "What do you eat to lose weight?" Here is my answer for myself:

I lost 40 pounds/18.14 kg last year and have maintained the same weight since November 2016. I look up calories for everything before I eat it, including in restaurants. I use the USDA entries a lot.

The most valuable advice I've read on MFP is think of this as a lifestyle, not a diet. We're all different. What I like may not be for you.

What I eat and don't eat:

I stopped mindless eating without regard for the calories -- I stopped eating a whole bag of popcorn in one night and stopped buying a candy bar every time I went into a store.

I learned how to say no in a nice way in social situations.

I have a medical problem and a control problem with sugar, so I put a limit on how much I eat. Most of my sugar comes from fruit and vegetables now. I don't feel deprived.

I usually eat a large spinach salad once a day and include good fats like black olives and sometimes avocado. I include fats I like because they are good for my cholesterol levels and also prevent cravings.

I eat a lot of oatmeal with almonds, walnuts, and apples.

Generally, I try to eat food I like that is lower calorie and has fiber, like steamed vegetables and salads, because it has good nutrition and fills me up.

I drink lots of water.

• J72FIT
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Sankf wrote: »
    Quit sugar and keep your carbs at 40%of your daily consuming +exercise

How can you quit sugar and keep eating carbs???

OP ignore this

Mind numbing...
  • J72FIT
    What to eat to lose weight? The same foods to gain weight. Just less then you'd like...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    I always do crash diets, and end up putting my weight back on so I am trying to eat healthy in a way that I don't put it back on. Can you give me some advice and tips that work for you to maintain your weight loss?

Learn how many calories are in 50 grams of cooked rice. Then weigh your rice and do math in your head to figure how much rice you can have. Apply that technique to anything else you often consume and you'll soon have portion control mastery.
  • carolinelanewa
    carolinelanewa Posts: 45 Member
    I try to not eat anything processed. Ie just plain say grilled chicken and stir fry vege. Its tough being patient. Im in my fifties and going through menopause which makes it nearly impossible. To much exercise and cortisol goes into stress. I love exercise. I was working out like a crazy person to do my first triathlon for months. Lost nothing. Now im banned from anything more than 30 minutes. Im finding that tougher than the food. But i have been at it for 18 months as food and exercise are just a habit.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    I try to not eat anything processed. Ie just plain say grilled chicken and stir fry vege. Its tough being patient. Im in my fifties and going through menopause which makes it nearly impossible. To much exercise and cortisol goes into stress. I love exercise. I was working out like a crazy person to do my first triathlon for months. Lost nothing. Now im banned from anything more than 30 minutes. Im finding that tougher than the food. But i have been at it for 18 months as food and exercise are just a habit.

if you are not losing weight you are not in a calorie deficit. "processed' foods have nothing to with it, and chicken is processed, so you are still eating processed foods.

who told you not to exercise?
  • SundropEclipse
    SundropEclipse Posts: 84 Member

I eat pretty well everything I ate before starting weight loss, just in smaller portions. The only things I have (mostly) removed from my diet are regular sodas, chips, and side dishes at fastfood restaurants.
  • MysticGoalie
    MysticGoalie Posts: 328 Member
    When appetite / hungry, allow to have anything desired. Seeing how it fits in total calories left, how it effects macro's, adjust a bit when needed.

Not forbidding any foods.

Always eat what you truly desire whenever possible or what looks most yummy from any available foods if the food desired isn't available. <3