• try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Mutant chicken beasts?

c2n9gcvvi4ts.png

This is the one im having the most trouble with...how many calories is 4oz chicken breast????

I had boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast tonight. I searched "USDA chicken breast boneless skinless grilled" and got a value of 43 calories an ounce. I noticed the packaging said 4 oz=120 calories, but that was for raw and I don't weigh out raw chicken breast unless it's going in a recipe raw. USDA entries will generally be the most reliable with meat & fresh produce.

You asked me this before about a cut of chicken I used. It was a premeasured cut of chicken breast that was 4 oz raw with brine. So it would have less than 43 calories per ounce because part of the weight was water. So 120 calories might make sense if you account for 3 oz meat and 1 oz water.

Absolutely. And then if you weigh cooked, once the water is cooked out, 4 oz of just meat would have a higher calorie count.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Mutant chicken beasts?

c2n9gcvvi4ts.png

This is the one im having the most trouble with...how many calories is 4oz chicken breast????

I had boneless, skinless grilled chicken breast tonight. I searched "USDA chicken breast boneless skinless grilled" and got a value of 43 calories an ounce. I noticed the packaging said 4 oz=120 calories, but that was for raw and I don't weigh out raw chicken breast unless it's going in a recipe raw. USDA entries will generally be the most reliable with meat & fresh produce.

You asked me this before about a cut of chicken I used. It was a premeasured cut of chicken breast that was 4 oz raw with brine. So it would have less than 43 calories per ounce because part of the weight was water. So 120 calories might make sense if you account for 3 oz meat and 1 oz water.

Absolutely. And then if you weigh cooked, once the water is cooked out, 4 oz of just meat would have a higher calorie count.

No. It was a 3oz piece of meat raw to begin with, which shrank after cooking. Sorry if I didn't clarify.
  • try2again
    Options
    Mutant chicken beasts?

c2n9gcvvi4ts.png

No. It was a 3oz piece of meat raw to begin with, which shrank after cooking. Sorry if I didn't clarify.

Lol... no, I got it! I was just comparing 4 oz of raw vs 4 oz of cooked ;)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I tried to help someone learn to log their food here they couldn't understand that to be accurate they had to weigh, measure, and log each food item separately. So they tried to beat the system by logging a Mc Donalds two cheeseburger extra value meal ( at least 1000 plus soda) as a generic "burger and fries" entry for only a few hundred calories.

I once had someone tell me in all earnestness that they logged their bananas as small - 90 calories and then bought the largest bananas they could so they'd get more banana for the same number of calories.

:o
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Anytime I build a recipe with banana in it, the default banana it gives me is well over 1000 calories for one... seems legit.
  • try2again
    Options
    Anytime I build a recipe with banana in it, the default banana it gives me is well over 1000 calories for one... seems legit.

The recipe builder is a thread in itself. I got several thousand calories for dried basil the other day, and you can't enter the generic "olive oil" or you get "chicken breast sauteed in olive oil". :/
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yeah. So much baloney. When I'm in doubt, I google the item and compare it to the entries. Still not infallible, but better than nothing. Also if I can find a USDA entry that helps.
  • gothchiq
    Options
    also, KEKs? AHAHAHA! How many Shadilays is that worth?
  • gothchiq
    Options
    Mutant chicken beasts?

c2n9gcvvi4ts.png

Google says it's 162 if no skin and is baked.
  • Luna3386
    Luna3386 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Wish I could figure out how to post a picture. When I searched cream cheese, 2 T was over 7,000 calories. Wtf?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Luna3386 wrote: »
    Wish I could figure out how to post a picture. When I searched cream cheese, 2 T was over 7,000 calories. Wtf?

Clearly a calorie dense version.