Worst database entries?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    JetJaguar wrote: »
    In light of PM's I've received, I want to state that I'm not a cannibal nor a Satanist. I have never eaten human flesh. To clarify, the numbers I used were copied directly from the USDA listing for pork chops on bone. I used that because Victorian-era reports claimed that cannibal tribes of the South Pacific called human meat "long pig", allegedly because meat from humans is similar to pork. I presumed that smilies in my posts would imply humor and sarcasm, but I was mistaken. I apologize for any offense and confusion. Thank you.

Phew! I'm glad I only got a "woo" for my post on the topic. Apparently this is a sensitive topic to some people. Man.. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I wouldn't have handled it as well as you did.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    In light of PM's I've received, I want to state that I'm not a cannibal nor a Satanist. I have never eaten human flesh. To clarify, the numbers I used were copied directly from the USDA listing for pork chops on bone. I used that because Victorian-era reports claimed that cannibal tribes of the South Pacific called human meat "long pig", allegedly because meat from humans is similar to pork. I presumed that smilies in my posts would imply humor and sarcasm, but I was mistaken. I apologize for any offense and confusion. Thank you.

Of course. Clearly, the logical assumption to make, when reading such a post, is that the poster is ACTUALLY a cannibal. Not that they're just participating in a joke already in progress. Excellent use of critical thinking skills.

This is why we can't have nice things.

I have to admit, jokes like this give me pause ever since I read this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/11/07/sc-man-facing-murder-charges-likely-linked-chilling-amazon-reviews/93412630/
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I had a grilled cheese with tomato on wheat at a diner today. Figured I'd find a reasonable entry in the database... so many verified entries for 240-300 calories... dude, it's like 220 for the bread alone...
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    And I don't know how many entries for "1 piece" of cake. How big is that piece? What type of cake? Who knows. .

Yes- those are annoying...It would be nice if more people at least put something of a volume description (like cubic inches)(or in fractions of the entire cake that was x" diameter).. I would love more entries in cubic inches or cubic centimeters/mL for those times when I am out and can't actually weigh the item. Although using your own non-shared food list is sometimes broken (I don't think they work in the recipe builder, and search via computer is broken) so I can see why people share stuff that is useless to anyone else.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    Here's one of the ones I came across today while trying to log pizza:

Large Pan Pizza With Ham Only
    Pizza Hut, 1 slice, 165 calories

I don't think Pizza Hut's water is under 200 calories.

Maybe. Those are cut into like 50 squares/rectangles per sheet (typically ~1/2 the size of a normal slice from a round pie), and some ham is pretty lean.
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Garlic powder is really off. I told me 1/2 teaspoon was over 600 calories when inputting a recipe yesterday. o.O
  • try2again
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Here's one of the ones I came across today while trying to log pizza:

Large Pan Pizza With Ham Only
    Pizza Hut, 1 slice, 165 calories

I don't think Pizza Hut's water is under 200 calories.

Maybe. Those are cut into like 50 squares/rectangles per sheet (typically ~1/2 the size of a normal slice from a round pie), and some ham is pretty lean.

I've never had a PH pizza that was cut into squares... good to know (but still would be helpful to note that in the entry ;) )
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I can't post the contents of PM's publicly, but the topic hit a nerve with some people. There were accusations and a bunch of religious stuff. Whatever.

I'm still a little concerned about why you know so much about Victorian-era reports about cannibalism in the South Pacific ;)

Actually, I was once really into Victorian/Edwardian era books about exploration, travel, and adventure. "How I Found Livingstone", "The Worst Journey in the World", "The Man-Eaters of Tsavo", and such. Because they're old enough to be in the public domain, I'd download the books from Project Gutenberg.

Straight to hell with you, good sir! That'll learn you to make jokes! :D

I have to point out, based on numerous field observations in Chicago's Field Museum, that the Maneaters of Tsavo are actually lions. My research indicates that they are stuffed and on display for the entertainment and edification of casual gawkers, who are also certainly going straight to hell. Regrettably, my Field field observations have also indicated that there is no Mold-A-Rama associated with the Maneaters of Tsavo, which continues to be a severe disappointment to my family and me. So much lost potential: SAD. However, it is scientifically interesting to note that the calorie count of a human is also of crucial importance to the study of the Maneaters, per Wikipedia:

"The two lion specimens in Chicago's Field Museum are known as FMNH 23970, the 'crouching' mount (killed 9 December 1898) and FMNH 23969, the 'standing' mount (killed 29 December 1898). Recent studies have been made upon the isotopic signature analysis of Δ13C and Nitrogen-15 in their bone collagen and hair keratin and published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. Using realistic assumptions on the consumable tissue per victim, lion energetic needs, and their assimilation efficiencies, researchers compared the man-eaters' Δ13C signatures to various reference standards: Tsavo lions with normal (wildlife) diets, grazers and browsers from Tsavo East and Tsavo West, and the skeletal remains of Taita people from the early 20th century. This analysis estimated that FMNH 23969 ate the equivalent of 10.5 humans and that FMNH 23970 ate 24.2 humans.[4]"

This provides some fertile ground for new Official Scientific Reference Standards database entries: "Browser, Tsavo East, raw, 100 grams." "Uganda-Kilindini Line Railroad Worker, Taito, raw, 100 grams."

This is some awesome right here!
  • try2again
    Options
    This thread has certainly covered a lot of territory.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Mutant chicken beasts?

c2n9gcvvi4ts.png

This is the one im having the most trouble with...how many calories is 4oz chicken breast????

Raw? If cooked, how? With or without skin?

Your best bet is to find what you want in the USDA database and plug that exact syntax into the MFP database.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list?qlookup=&qt=&manu=&SYNCHRONIZER_URI=/ndb/search/list&SYNCHRONIZER_TOKEN=7f6672de-2cc1-4708-be92-24dafc9aec95&ds=Standard+Reference

6070070a987dac5221612e423e9732e2.png

I meant baked 4oz chicken breast....but thanks for the info.
  • SkimpyMrsCarter
    SkimpyMrsCarter Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Mutant chicken beasts?

c2n9gcvvi4ts.png

This is the one im having the most trouble with...how many calories is 4oz chicken breast????

Google says it's 162 if no skin and is baked.

Thanks