Options
2»

Replies

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    LelekBolek wrote: »
    88olds wrote: »
    If your logging accurately there are only two possibilities. One is a physical/medical issue.

Ok, I'll step into this one. What is the second?

On subject of thyroid: has anyone here dealt with it? If that is an issue - what should I expect as far as treatment? Is it surgical procedure, or what is it "fixed" with?

Thank you all for your insights.

I have a damaged thyroid. I spent about 30 years of my life tired. I had been tested and told I was normal. In order for the problem to show up and get diagnosed I had to go on a trip where I pushed myself beyond my normal limits. When I got home I saw the doc cause I thought I'd had a mini stroke. Turned out my thyroid was very low. They did an ultrasound and discovered it was full of scar tissue. I was medicated immediately. I lost no weight. I say this not to discourage you but to make people understand a low thyroid may not be the magic answer. I went up to 251 pounds at one point. I am now 147 and trying to lose the last 7 pounds. The answer was careful logging and walking daily. I started very slowly and worked my way up as my stamina increased. By the way I'm 60 years old. I had been obese since I was a very young woman. I was type 2 diabetic, had high blood pressure and stomach issues. I have since said goodbye to all my meds except my synthroid (for low thyroid). It can be done and I feel your pain. Please don't give up and do have your thyroid tested just remember even if it's low it isn't a magic fix. For an underactive thyroid it is usually just a very inexpensive tablet daily. Being medicated may not make you lose weight but it will help you have more energy to move and do what needs to be done to take the weight off. Good luck.
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    "5'3", 160 lbs today"

I also think the calories are too high, for OP's size.

OP, hang in there. If you aren't losing, check the accuracy of your logging, maybe reduce by 100 calories for a couple weeks until you find the sweet spot. MFP gave me a calorie deficit goal of 1240, and except for age (I am a bit older) my beginning stats are almost identical to yours. I wouldn't lose much, if any, on what you are eating right now.

In the meantime, getting some blood drawn and tests run won't hurt anything, and if there is an underlying condition, better to know sooner rather than later.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    As others have said, consistency is truly most important. I liked this visual to help explain how easily we can derail our progress by not staying consistent.

fl4smbphjt53.jpg

• Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    cs17oe75dcn0.jpg

I was just about to ad this diagram! it's one of the best on the website.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    As others have said, consistency is truly most important. I liked this visual to help explain how easily we can derail our progress by not staying consistent.

fl4smbphjt53.jpg

To be fair I'm a "work week dieter" as long as you don't go too far over maintenance on a weekend and stick to a weekly deficit it can be done, I usually manage a 2000 calorie deficit a week and I have a half pound a week goal. :) The main thing is to log, be honest and make sure it fits into your weekly deficit. I would have given up long ago if I was restricting my cals every day I needed something that fit into my lifestyle, do what works for you I say as long as the average is under maintenance all good. :) x