Yet another rant about physicians!

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Sand55mfp wrote: »
    I live in Italy, and if you ever been here (especially in the southern part), obesity is striving like in America, it's an epidemic that is going worst and worst every year, most of them follow a "healthy" Mediterranean diet and some don't, but the only point I was making about oils and refined fat, in general, they're unhealthy because of the nutritional value and because it's literally a waste of calories, you can say that they're good but this doesn't change anything.

I would not consider the "traditional Med diet" that I was discussing "what people in Italy eat today," obviously Italy has a lot in common with other western countries. I was talking about more a specific diet (and I would agree Med diet is kind of a dumb and overused term). Anyway, it's outlined in Diet Cults, among other books (the point in that book being to show the broad range of macros that exist in healthy, traditional diets). It had a relatively high fat percentage and the bulk of the fat was from olive oil, although obvious some is from olives, nuts and seeds, fatty fish. Certainly people did not avoid olive, though, in many cultures with little obesity.
    the only way to know how much you're eating each is to use cronometer which is way more complete than mfp in this regards.

I do use cronometer from time to time. Again, your assumptions are offbase. (I also don't worry about sources of omega 6. One reason I eat a decent amount of fatty fish is omega 3, however.)
    The real problem w calories restricting for a really long term (+8 weeks) is that you're going to be deficient in some nutrients. You can supplement but, studies have shown that supplementing most of the time it's not effective or even worst.

You won't be if you choose a sensible diet and don't over-restrict. (And it sounds like OP is fine on both.)
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,740 Member
    I'm amazed the doctor would disregard the weight loss. o.o In any case, he sounds like he is allowing personal bias to affect his role as a doctor. As long as your nutritional needs are being met, calorie counting is definitely the way to go. Exercise *is* important for overall health, but if your weight is currently interfering with your ability to exercise than simply counting calories will suffice until you're able to do more.

I agree with this. When I had well over 100 lb to lose, my doctor was cheering me on when I'd lost 5 pounds at the very start. He actually told me a nice goal for that calendar year would be a 30 lb loss. That was the right kind of encouragement for me, personally, and I think it would serve a lot of people better than some of these other attitudes.

I've also found many people in the health field have not studied nutrition very much at all, or have some black & white ideas about it that are pretty limiting. For example, my friend lost about 60 lb and her doctor told her that was great but she could expect to gain it all back in a year or two. She's kept it off for ten years. If that was my doctor I would have switched.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    If you don't like your physician why not switch to another?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Doctors are interesting. Hubby's told him he could eat all the organic meats and veggies he wanted, no need to count calories and he would lose weight....not working so well thus far. I took calorie and macro counting and IF/OMAD upon myself, received great praise from my doctor for losing weight and then told her how I'd done it. She'd never heard of IF/OMAD, but was interested in learning about it. My GP, OB, Neuro were all supportive of CICO methods.
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    After reading this entire thread, I now want smoked salmon. Thanks a lot guys :smiley:

OP - I would either stop discussing weight with your doc entirely, or find a new one that supports your healthy goals.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    charris151 wrote: »
    I am a nurse practitioner. Some of the comments on this thread made me smile. I can honestly say I DO listen to my patients and not only do I recommend tools such as myfitnesspal, I refer my patients to a dietitian if, at any point, I feel unable to provide sound advice. Health should be a team approach and I am not afraid to reach out at any time. :)

It's sad to witness what is happening to physicians as a profession, but I love seeing the increased respect and responsibility passed onto PAs, NPs, and the entire medical support staff. Much more holistic in approach and much more effective.

Bravo Zulu!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »

Sometimes that's much easier said than done, particularly if you live in a rural area or have a restrictive health insurance plan, or face significant health challenges.

You can complain about it or do something about it.

What would you suggest, given the previous limitations?
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    tomteboda wrote: »

Sometimes that's much easier said than done, particularly if you live in a rural area or have a restrictive health insurance plan, or face significant health challenges.

You can complain about it or do something about it.

What, exactly do you suggest, if you live in a place with very few physicians, your health insurance won't cover any out of your county, and no one within a 3 hour drive is taking new patients anyway, and certainly not ones with your health issues nm