Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Planet Fitness Just Came to My Town...

Options
MsHarryWinston
MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
*facepalm*. I just can't even...

I know some people love it, some people hate it. Just posting this here because I couldn't let my discovery pass without commenting on it. Feel free to discuss, aaaaaaaand go!

Replies

• CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    PF is good for figuring out what cardio equipment you'd like to buy for the home gym. Its usefulness for strength training is dubious at best.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    I have a PF membership for weekends only, because it's the only gym near me. Don't listen to BS, free bagel pizza etc have nothing to do with you. If you are serious about working out, you will get a workout. Only thing I hate are the Smith machines, so squats and bench suck, deadlifts are not non-existent. PF is fine for the average lifter.

Lots of folks at my PF doing Smith DLs
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Actually my main problem is with their corporate culture. Can't get behind a company I don't agree with, no matter how convenient they are.

Agreed.

They also don't have any locations particularly near me, though, so it's not like it's an issue, at least not yet. If it were convenient and gave me things I wanted for a very cheap price (I understand the locations are often quite different in terms of what they offer), I'm sure I'd join, so I don't question why anyone else might.

I simply hate it if people insist that it's better than other gyms since not judgy, as that's buying into fear tactics that I think PF is unethical for using.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I think PF's advertising model and corporate culture sucks.

I still have a membership there because there's one I can literally walk to near us. I have home equipment, but it's still nice to get out of the house every now and then and mix up my routine and it's cheap and open 24 hours.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    Actually my main problem is with their corporate culture. Can't get behind a company I don't agree with, no matter how convenient they are.

Can you elaborate on their corporate culture?
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I have a PF membership for weekends only, because it's the only gym near me. Don't listen to BS, free bagel pizza etc have nothing to do with you. If you are serious about working out, you will get a workout. Only thing I hate are the Smith machines, so squats and bench suck, deadlifts are not non-existent. PF is fine for the average lifter.

Lots of folks at my PF doing Smith DLs

Not with proper form...

Proper for a free DL? or for a smith DL?