Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Planet Fitness Just Came to My Town...

Options

Replies

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    PF's "judgement free zone" is a joke, but it's enough gym for me at a good price. Some day I'll outgrow it, but until then the dumbbell racks and benches work just fine. There are definitely people lifting heavier than me that are still there.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am thankful my PF is really laid back. I use mine for a treadmill and accessory work because I now have my own home gym. Plus, I just love people watching in a positive way. It's fun to see different types of people there and watch them improve over time. I know that happens at any gym, but given the beginner's market PF has, it seems more drastic.

However, back when I went almost daily for several months, I only heard the lunk alarm once, and that was because someone accidentally dropped the weights because he slipped. Girlfriend sure thought it was the funniest thing in the world though. Otherwise, I hear grunting and weight dropping all the time with no alarm, sometimes coming from the stereotypical market PF is against. I've never seen them reprimanded for such actions and they're still there a year later. They even carry around jugs of water. Oh no! Hah.

I do really dislike that their staff is not well trained though. I once had to walk over and offer to show an older woman how to use the fly machine because the young girl working didn't even know how to shift the arms. It was painful to watch. It is 100% judging on my part, but it seems like they don't train the women as efficiently to work there. And it could be my particular one or the fact that the guys typically work out after their shift so have experience with the equipment. Just an odd thing I've noticed.

I know my PF is not the norm, and I don't agree with their marketing, but I also have better things to be upset or offended about in that regard. If anything, I'm more upset/irritated at the Fuze next store, which markets Herbalife. But hey, good placement is good marketing, I suppose.
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    The discrimination is unbelievable. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbK3wWpWNto

That was amazing
  • PAGinger
    PAGinger Posts: 118 Member
    Options

That was HILARIOUS!!!
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    atjays wrote: »
    There's no reason to be dropping weights and being extra loud just for attention.

Clearly you've never lifted a weight heavy enough to think it's for attention...
  • rachel780mpg
    rachel780mpg Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've had a Planet Fitness membership for over 2 years. Never heard the lunk alarm go off. The cardio equipment is great. I'm a newbie so not doing serious weightlifting at this time. The 2 locations I frequent are in different states, but both are constantly being cleaned. Its not for everyone, but people shouldn't be degraded for their choice in a gym.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »
    There's no reason to be dropping weights and being extra loud just for attention.

Clearly you've never lifted a weight heavy enough to think it's for attention...

I've pulled close to 700 for deads, while I'm not dropping them from the top, they don't always come down easy. Or squats, after a rough set, sometimes I kinda "fall" into the rack to put them back.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    PAGinger wrote: »

That was HILARIOUS!!!

I agree, but hopefully you realize that this is a complete parody that has no basis in reality. The atmosphere at PF is essentially the same as a community rec center. Everyone who is raging against the PF machine has almost certainly never set foot in one.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I've pulled close to 700 for deads, while I'm not dropping them from the top, they don't always come down easy. Or squats, after a rough set, sometimes I kinda "fall" into the rack to put them back.

yea, or your grip slips and that always sucks...

have not pulled a 700# Dl ..but i did pull like 420 once and grip slipped on way down and that was some loud stuff ...
  • DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Bry_Lander wrote: »
    PAGinger wrote: »

That was HILARIOUS!!!

I agree, but hopefully you realize that this is a complete parody that has no basis in reality. The atmosphere at PF is essentially the same as a community rec center. Everyone who is raging against the PF machine has almost certainly never set foot in one.

Not sure about @PAGinger, but I commented the same thing right before her and, yes - of course it's parody, lol. I have no hate for PF, one way or another, because I've never been to one. I probably would, if I lived close to one.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

If I look over, and it's 700 or even 400 worth of plates, I'm pretty MEH about the whole thing. If I look over and its 225, and He's adding 45s on each side and 90 seconds later it goes crash again, depending on my mood it's entirely possible I'm going to ask him to be a little more courteous.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*. I just can't even...

I know some people love it, some people hate it. Just posting this here because I couldn't let my discovery pass without commenting on it. Feel free to discuss, aaaaaaaand go!

From the info I've gotten on MFP previously: Apparently they're dirt cheap and do have at least some barbells, racks, and benches - so unless it's a longer wait for equipment than a competing gym I'd say its a good deal. The gym I'm at now also has neither a deadlift platform or bumper plates...if the clanging bugs us, we always just fold some yoga mats and throw them underneath. As for the potential to have to drop the last rep, whether that is a problem probably depends on whether the management and other gym goers at your particular location are *ssholes (I would think that normal people even at a PF shouldn't mind unless you're doing it repeatedly).
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options

If I look over, and it's 700 or even 400 worth of plates, I'm pretty MEH about the whole thing. If I look over and its 225, and He's adding 45s on each side and 90 seconds later it goes crash again, depending on my mood it's entirely possible I'm going to ask him to be a little more courteous.

This
  • stanmann571
    Options

This

Honestly, I'd like an alarm or an airhorn. to get his attention, since he just woke up the whole gym with a weight that isn't a big deal.
  • ndj1979
    Options

This

Honestly, I'd like an alarm or an airhorn. to get his attention, since he just woke up the whole gym with a weight that isn't a big deal.

that would depend on the lifter and where they are in programming...and people's grips do slip or they do get tired...

I never got why people are noise averse to a gym ...I mean people are lifting heavy things, there will be noise..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    *facepalm*. I just can't even...

I know some people love it, some people hate it. Just posting this here because I couldn't let my discovery pass without commenting on it. Feel free to discuss, aaaaaaaand go!

From the info I've gotten on MFP previously: Apparently they're dirt cheap and do have at least some barbells, racks, and benches - so unless it's a longer wait for equipment than a competing gym I'd say its a good deal. The gym I'm at now also has neither a deadlift platform or bumper plates...if the clanging bugs us, we always just fold some yoga mats and throw them underneath. As for the potential to have to drop the last rep, whether that is a problem probably depends on whether the management and other gym goers at your particular location are *ssholes (I would think that normal people even at a PF shouldn't mind unless you're doing it repeatedly).

i am not aware of any PF that has barbells...

smith machine yes, barbells, no
  • stanmann571
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

This

that would depend on the lifter and where they are in programming...and people's grips do slip or they do get tired...

I never got why people are noise averse to a gym ...I mean people are lifting heavy things, there will be noise..

If it's the third or fourth offense and he's still lifting less than my wife warms up with, there's no reason for banging.
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I have never understood this either. I am a relative novice in the free weight section and honestly, if I hear weights drop or grunts, I don't care at all. I don't understand how this is intimidating (personally).

I did have a no-commitment membership to PF for like 3 months and cancelled it- the staff was rude and generally not helpful, there was food and candy everywhere, and that alarm went off several times while I was there. Maybe my PF was super *kitten* but it completely turned me off.

My new gym is a local "chain" of nice gyms that have all sorts of equipment, experience levels, and generally friendly...but it needs more squat racks >.<