Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Planet Fitness Just Came to My Town...

Options

Replies

• ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    It's cheap, extremely convenient for those with a hectic lifestyle, and has some nice extras.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    That lunk alarm is trash though.
  • PAGinger
    PAGinger Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    That lunk alarm is trash though.

Yes, that could be omitted though the one at my location has yet to be activated.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Interesting discussion so far.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    lkpducky wrote: »
    atjays wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Lunk alarm - look it up
    If that's the worst you have against PF then that's awfully petty. It's not marketed as a gym for serious lifters, it's a place for beginners to go to get their confidence up on working out. It's a great starting place for most people. The lunk alarm should be in every gym to be honest. There's no reason to be dropping weights and being extra loud just for attention.
    When I'm doing dumbbell bench press, there's no way I can set the weights down without dropping them (well, about a foot from the floor). Lowering the weights to the floor would pull my arms out of their sockets.
    And if a loud alarm goes off when I'm doing said presses, what if it startles me and I drop the weights on my face?

You got what you deserved because lunk but hey we don't judge
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Lunk alarm - look it up
    If that's the worst you have against PF then that's awfully petty. It's not marketed as a gym for serious lifters, it's a place for beginners to go to get their confidence up on working out. It's a great starting place for most people. The lunk alarm should be in every gym to be honest. There's no reason to be dropping weights and being extra loud just for attention.
    When I'm doing dumbbell bench press, there's no way I can set the weights down without dropping them (well, about a foot from the floor). Lowering the weights to the floor would pull my arms out of their sockets.
    And if a loud alarm goes off when I'm doing said presses, what if it startles me and I drop the weights on my face?

Agree with @stanmann571 never had this issue.

Take a look at these videos to learn how to set the dumbbells down. Your shoulders will thank you.
    A quick google found this as well

https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/main/popup/name/dumbbell-bench-press

1.Lie down on a flat bench with a dumbbell in each hand resting on top of your thighs. The palms of your hands will be facing each other.
    2.Then, using your thighs to help raise the dumbbells up, lift the dumbbells one at a time so that you can hold them in front of you at shoulder width.
    3.Once at shoulder width, rotate your wrists forward so that the palms of your hands are facing away from you. The dumbbells should be just to the sides of your chest, with your upper arm and forearm creating a 90 degree angle. Be sure to maintain full control of the dumbbells at all times. This will be your starting position.
    4.Then, as you breathe out, use your chest to push the dumbbells up. Lock your arms at the top of the lift and squeeze your chest, hold for a second and then begin coming down slowly. Tip: Ideally, lowering the weight should take about twice as long as raising it.
    5.Repeat the movement for the prescribed amount of repetitions of your training program.

Caution: When you are done, do not drop the dumbbells next to you as this is dangerous to your rotator cuff in your shoulders and others working out around you.

Just lift your legs from the floor bending at the knees, twist your wrists so that the palms of your hands are facing each other and place the dumbbells on top of your thighs. When both dumbbells are touching your thighs simultaneously push your upper torso up (while pressing the dumbbells on your thighs) and also perform a slight kick forward with your legs (keeping the dumbbells on top of the thighs). By doing this combined movement, momentum will help you get back to a sitting position with both dumbbells still on top of your thighs. At this moment you can place the dumbbells on the floor.

Variations:

Another variation of this exercise is to perform it with the palms of the hands facing each other.

Also, you can perform the exercise with the palms facing each other and then twisting the wrist as you lift the dumbbells so that at the top of the movement the palms are facing away from the body. I personally do not use this variation very often as it seems to be hard on my shoulders.

The variation I was taught was more wrist centric than leg centric, but I've only worked up to 90s so the kick might be necessary with heavier DBells.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine looked into buying a PF franchise. The cheapest buy in was 200K PLUS all the equipment and you have to do their cheap membership rates. not sure how anyone makes money on these things.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    A friend of mine looked into buying a PF franchise. The cheapest buy in was 200K PLUS all the equipment and you have to do their cheap membership rates. not sure how anyone makes money on these things.

I never looked into the specifics, but I'm pretty sure the model is you sign up a ton of people (it's only $10 a month) and only 10-15% show up on a regular basis.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I had a membership there twice over the years. I didn't like it. It was hard to get it canceled each time too.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,804 Member
    Options
    Lunk alarm - look it up

You got what you deserved because lunk but hey we don't judge

:D:p

Thanks so much @Packerjohn and @stanmann571 for the info.