Thoughts on what the difference is...

Options
JaydedMiss
JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
edited July 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Icecream. Iv found that when i buy a tub of it, Its gone. ZERO control whatsoever. But when i buy like icecream sandwiches or chocolate coated fudgesicles or a drumstick for example, Im perfectly fine just eating one and can avoid the rest with pretty much no effort. I find these even more delicious thn a tub of icecream so i find it weird. Thoughts on why this is?

Is it just that its preportioned maybe its a mental thing, Like uhoh my portions done. Oh well that was yummy. Its strange that i just feel more satisfied and dont need more when i have so little restraint with just icecream lol.

I just walked 20k steps to earn calories fully expecting to eat multiple of the peanutbutter cookie icecream sandwiches i bought a 6 pack (230 calories each their quite small) and even with the intention of going to eat multiple i had one and dont need another lol

Anyone else have anything like this?

Replies

• nancy939393
    nancy939393 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Mine is pizza. I have extreme trouble leaving pizza for leftovers the next day. So I generally arrange to share pizza such that there will be no more than my portion available for me.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    Is it the individual wrapping that makes the difference? I've noticed it is much easier for me to stop eating when eating more would require me to open another package.

im really not sure lol. I had preplanned to eat multiple so the packaging shouldnt throw me off, I straight up just feel done and fine being done. Has happened before with prepackaged icecreams always, Never tubs lol always going back for a new scoop every like 20 minutes untill its all gone
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    Completely different textures? Plus ice cream you eat with a spoon, and kind of chew, mug more favorable for bingeing and mindless eating.

Plus the package thing can be powerful as well. Triggers all sorts of cues in your brain.
  • MommaGem2017
    MommaGem2017 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Maybe because, with the tub, there is no external mechanism that says, "Done," like there is when you finish that fudgesicle. I have the same experience with potato chips. Buy a big bag - it's all gone. Buy the individual bags and I'm satisfied with just one.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I agree that prepackaged portions can make a difference. There also could a difference in ingredients. Maybe more fat in the tub ice cream that makes it taste especially luscious.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think it's 1) expectation - you see this delicious food, want it, think about how it's going to taste; eat it, get a "wow", but also disappointment, don't realize it, and continue eating to get all the "wow" you were looking for, and 2) the natural brakes that the wrapping/individual portion creates. Both theories could explain why the more delicious item is easier to moderate. A combination of these two theories would be the thought "bigger ice cream = bigger wow" leads to a bigger disappointment.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ditto on pre-portioned.
    But also could be the other ingredients in the novelty singles that make you feel more full/satisfied (the cookie layers/nuts/chocolate coating/cone/etc).
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Most likely it is that the container is a natural end point. If full half-gallons or pints are a trigger for overeating, but you have zero problem with novelties, I'd stick with those. That way you don't ever have to worry about it. You'll pay more per serving, but you will get much more satisfaction out of it.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I'm the opposite. A tub of ice cream can sit in the freezer for months and I wouldn't have the urge to touch it. Put some novelties in there like fudge bars or ice cream sandwiches and I will eat the whole box in a setting.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    I'm the opposite. A tub of ice cream can sit in the freezer for months and I wouldn't have the urge to touch it. Put some novelties in there like fudge bars or ice cream sandwiches and I will eat the whole box in a setting.

their so much yummier thats why im shocked i can moderate them no issue lol
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    Most likely it is that the container is a natural end point. If full half-gallons or pints are a trigger for overeating, but you have zero problem with novelties, I'd stick with those. That way you don't ever have to worry about it. You'll pay more per serving, but you will get much more satisfaction out of it.

Totally agree. A package is a package -- and if you're anything like me -- you have been taught to clean your plate. A "plate" can be a half gallon, a pint or a single serve popsicle. I stop when it's gone.

Only single serve bars allowed in my house these days. My fav at the moment is Enligteded Mint chip.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I have no issue eating several ice cream sandwiches in a row, sadly, lol.
  • Tammyjo06
    Tammyjo06 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Serving size is my complete downfall, so I get it! lol I'm trying to only buy single serving sizes OR put an item in single serving sizes once it comes into my home. It's such a mental game for me!!!
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    any time there is a tub I'm in and out of it lol
  • narspips
    narspips Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is one of those things I won't miss at all if it's not in the house... but if it is it won't last long!
  • npane
    npane Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Ice cream is my downfall too! Always easier to snitch an extra spoonful or two out of a carton which you can't do with individual ice cream bars or sandwiches. Too cut back on fat I have been getting Outshine fruit bars instead.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    npane wrote: »
    Ice cream is my downfall too! Always easier to snitch an extra spoonful or two out of a carton which you can't do with individual ice cream bars or sandwiches. Too cut back on fat I have been getting Outshine fruit bars instead.

fat is one macro i need more of in my diet XD Definatly not an entire icecream tubs worth though! lol
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think it is the way it is being served. I divide up my cookies into snack bags and I can be fine with one bag, but if they were still in the package . . . sugar overload!!! I try and really fix servings even when I cook, just fix my plate and put any leftovers away - no temptation for seconds.