Thoughts on what the difference is...

Options

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    There is some evidence to suggest that having separate smaller portions can reduce eating. I can't find the particular study I am remembering but there's an example of one such study here, albeit a small one http://diabetesdigest.com/can-smaller-food-packages-help-you-eat-less/
  • NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I still haven't decided if single serve desserts (all of my local grocery stores sell this this way in the bakery now) are a blessing or a curse. On one hand, you can only have one serving if that is all you bring home. On the other, I would never in a million years buy myself an entire sheet cake. So is it a blessing because I can have just a little bit, or a curse because if they didn't have the single servings I'd never buy it? edited only to correct a typo.
  • amietest
    amietest Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I think anything that adds delay or effort creates a tiny place for an easier choice to stop.

It does seem much easier to keep from opening a container than to stop eating from an open one. Also, keeping ice cream treats in the deep freeze instead of the kitchen freezer makes it less likely I will venture downstairs for a second one.

On Jenny Craig now, I keep everything I am not eating today downstairs in storage. Seems to help.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    NEOHgirl wrote: »
    I still haven't decided if single serve desserts (all of my local grocery stores sell this this way in the bakery now) are a blessing or a curse. On one hand, you can only have one serving if that is all you bring home. On the other, I would never in a million years buy myself an entire sheet cake. So is it a blessing because I can have just a little bit, or a curse because if they didn't have the single servings I'd never buy it? edited only to correct a typo.

I wish we had single serve baked goods here but i hear ya, We dont so i dont eat it but i want toooo LOL its my birthday tomorow i fullly planned on buying myself some cookies finally because i crave them so bad but know i have no control and know theres only large containers. Still havent bought because of that lol
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It's mindless eating with no boundaries... so to speak. I've done it. We all have at one point or another. The packagings we see are those boundaries. If I buy a pint of ice cream that is like 4 servings, I will eat the whole thing. I buy a bag of chips that is 3 servings, I'll eat the whole thing. If I order 1 scoop of ice cream at a restaurant, I'm satisfied. If I buy a small, single serving bag of chips, I'm satisfied.
  • rparkerslim
    rparkerslim Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    tklivory wrote: »
    I thought Cheetos were my downfall until I deliberately bought only 1oz packages. Found out that 1oz is all i really need to fulfill my Cheetos craving, and that everything else is just habit. So I vote for maybe it being a packaging/pre-portioned thing.

I agree! If I buy a big bag of potato chips or any snack, and go ahead and divide it into suggested serving sizes for example 2 cookies, 1oz or 12 pieces, I can eat one serving and be satisfied, but if I don't, I'll overeat every time.

• NEOHgirl
    NEOHgirl Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »

I wish we had single serve baked goods here but i hear ya, We dont so i dont eat it but i want toooo LOL its my birthday tomorow i fullly planned on buying myself some cookies finally because i crave them so bad but know i have no control and know theres only large containers. Still havent bought because of that lol

Birthdays happen. If you really want one, try to have one. Is there anywhere around where you live that would sell a single cookie? Even if it's a larger cookie, it would be less calories than an entire package. Or can you bake from scratch (or refrigerated dough) and only make one or two? Then you'd have leftover dough for next time.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options

Birthdays happen. If you really want one, try to have one. Is there anywhere around where you live that would sell a single cookie? Even if it's a larger cookie, it would be less calories than an entire package. Or can you bake from scratch (or refrigerated dough) and only make one or two? Then you'd have leftover dough for next time.

haha id eat the dough :p went out for my bday had a good 2k calories for lunch was delicious, Found subway sells their cookies for 80 cent thats dangerous to know but great for future cravings hah. 200ish calories 30 min walk to get 1 for 80 cents....definatly beats a whole package :p
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Another ice cream related item. If I actually have the patience to actually let a pint of. halo top or enlightened get soft and mushy -- ain't no chance I'm eating just one serving.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    Another ice cream related item. If I actually have the patience to actually let a pint of. halo top or enlightened get soft and mushy -- ain't no chance I'm eating just one serving.

no halo top here so a pint puts me back like 1500 calories LOL
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    Icecream. Iv found that when i buy a tub of it, Its gone. ZERO control whatsoever. But when i buy like icecream sandwiches or chocolate coated fudgesicles or a drumstick for example, Im perfectly fine just eating one and can avoid the rest with pretty much no effort. I find these even more delicious thn a tub of icecream so i find it weird. Thoughts on why this is?

Anyone else have anything like this?

I'm the exact opposite. Tubbed ice cream? No problem. Serve, weigh, eat.

Ice cream sandwiches? They are a horrible temptation until they're completely gone, and I end up sacrificing actual meals to eat them. I'm pretty much at the point where I buy one box a month, so the perceived damage is minimal.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I can control myself with single servings and pints of Halo Top or Enlightened. I think because those brands have less sugar and more protein I'm not as "triggered", in terms of flavor, to scarf the whole thing down. But something sweet like Ben and Jerry's? Blink and that's gone.
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I am exactly the same way. Though I am not a huge ice cream fan, but I do find I do better with novelty ice cream bars, sandwiches and cones than a whole tub. I really like the Twix and Snickers ice cream bars at 180 calories each.

I am more smitten with potato chips. I can easily down a whole 10oz bag in an afternoon for a whopping 1,500 calories. I do much better when I buy pre-portioned 1oz bags. I actually got a great deal a week ago when our local Aldi had some they were trying to clear out. A big sack of 20 individual 1oz packages of different flavored potato chips. Regular $4.49 and they were 50% off at only $2.25. I bought the last three packages. So I have 60 individual bags for only $6.75. Those will last me several months as I usually have one a day as a snack.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    This may be obvious, but do the people who struggle with the whole tub portion out the ice cream, put it in a bowl that fits the amount, and put the ice cream away. Or do you think I'll keep eating until I don't want more or -- doom if I were to do it -- eat out of a pint container?

I find the ice cream sandwiches similar or harder to control than the ice cream so long as I weigh or measure my ice cream portion and think of it as my final bit of food that fits in my calories.
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    This may be obvious, but do the people who struggle with the whole tub portion out the ice cream, put it in a bowl that fits the amount, and put the ice cream away. Or do you think I'll keep eating until I don't want more or -- doom if I were to do it -- eat out of a pint container?

I find the ice cream sandwiches similar or harder to control than the ice cream so long as I weigh or measure my ice cream portion and think of it as my final bit of food that fits in my calories.

When i have icecream in my freezer ill repeatedly go back for a scoop...and then another...and another....repeat until empty lol
  • taziarj
    taziarj Posts: 243 Member
    Options

I do weigh out my ice cream portions. I end up using a ramekin to put the ice cream in. Mentally, the paltry amount of ice cream in a "serving" looks like a lot more in the ramekin than it does in a big bowl.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »

I do weigh out my ice cream portions. I end up using a ramekin to put the ice cream in. Mentally, the paltry amount of ice cream in a "serving" looks like a lot more in the ramekin than it does in a big bowl.

Yeah, I like using little bowls or ramekins too!
  • JaydedMiss
    Options
    taziarj wrote: »

yeah i have the cutest little icecream bowls, Pretty food containers make me happy. Making pretty food. Still cant avoid going back in for more xD
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I really think it's setting a habit. If you think "just a scoop" and then "just a scoop more" and so on, and have a pattern of doing that, it's hard. If you say "I don't go over my calories" and I will have an amount that fits in my calories" it starts a new habit, but might be hard to stick to at first.

I have an issue if I have peanut M&Ms at work (there's a bowl). I think "oh, just a few" and if I start doing that I go back and back and back. If I tried getting some and logging and thinking of them as "that's all," I might be able to start a new habit (although I don't really need peanut M&Ms at work, so better not to eat them). But anyway, it would be tough at first, since I had an established habit.

Ice cream was easy for me, since I didn't have a habit of going back and back and back (in the old days I'd eat ice cream somewhat rarely, but from the pint when I did, with no limits).
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    I feel the exact same way. I can eat like three bowls of ice cream. But the Yasso ice cream bars, after I eat one I'm satisfied. I think it is a mental aspect for me at least, unwrapping one, taking the time to eat it, my mind just knows that im done I guess. I started applying that to food too. Weighing out and bringing an exact amount of food to work. Putting the food away once I've made plates for dinner.