It says in 5 weeks you will weigh..

Options
So, you know how once you complete your diary it pops up if every day was like today you would weigh.. in 5 weeks?
I had a look and found that it doesnt make sense if you add your calorie defecit up to be the same for 5 weeks its not the number they give you.. have you noticed that?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    It is nothing more than a gimmick.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Mine is never even close. I should weigh like nothing by now. Use it if it motivates you - skip it if it doesn't. You do not need to click the complete button.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Right, because it's saying if you eat that number of calories for each of the next 35 days that's the weight you will be. But it's still inaccurate on top of that.
  • sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yeah haha... *kitten* *kitten*
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It's approximately correct. But it's not that helpful for me to see that number.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    timtam163 wrote: »
    It's approximately correct. But it's not that helpful for me to see that number.

Calculate the defecit and x by 5 weeks
  • LynnJ9
    LynnJ9 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I have my settings set to maintenance and sedentary, and I add my steps and exercises. I try to net -750 calories to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week. Today I was exactly -1000 calories and it said I would lose exactly 10 pounds in 5 weeks. That is mathematically accurate, but I don't take much stock in it.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    I have my settings set to maintenance and sedentary, and I add my steps and exercises. I try to net -750 calories to lose 1 1/2 pounds a week. Today I was exactly -1000 calories and it said I would lose exactly 10 pounds in 5 weeks. That is mathematically accurate, but I don't take much stock in it.

Are you taking your bmr off it?
  • LynnJ9
    Options

I am not sure what you mean :).
    I did have my setting at losing 1 1/2 pounds a week, and lightly active because I am a high school teacher. But I found that with some new duties I have there are many days I am sitting in meetings all day. So I felt it was better to change my setting to sedentary, and add my steps for the days I teach all day.
    I also found myself always trying to stay under my calorie allotment. Which I shouldn't because MFP had already deducted the calories for me to lose 1 1/2 pounds. Psychologically, I found that it works better for me to see my maintenance calories and the exercise calories, and work to be 750 calories under that while still eating at least 1200 calories. I know the net calories are the ssme, but it just works better for me.
    Also I like seeing how many calories I will be able to eat when I do finally hit my target weight and go to maintenance.
  • sophie9492015
    Options

I did have my setting at losing 1 1/2 pounds a week, and lightly active because I am a high school teacher. But I found that with some new duties I have there are many days I am sitting in meetings all day. So I felt it was better to change my setting to sedentary, and add my steps for the days I teach all day.
    I also found myself always trying to stay under my calorie allotment. Which I shouldn't because MFP had already deducted the calories for me to lose 1 1/2 pounds. Psychologically, I found that it works better for me to see my maintenance calories and the exercise calories, and work to be 750 calories under that while still eating at least 1200 calories. I know the net calories are the ssme, but it just works better for me.
    Also I like seeing how many calories I will be able to eat when I do finally hit my target weight and go to maintenance.

Makes sense. I dont always eat and burn the same amount of calories.
    BMR is the amount of calories your body burns if you were to lay in bed all day.
    I take the amount of calories i eat minus BMR and minus excercise to find my calorie defecit.
  • LynnJ9
    edited July 2017
    Options

BMR is the amount of calories your body burns if you were to lay in bed all day.
    I take the amount of calories i eat minus BMR and minus excercise to find my calorie defecit.

I think that would be the calories MFP allots me with my maintenance and sedentary setting. The amount I can eat and not lose or gain weight with little to no exercise. I think we are doing the same thing. :smile:
  • sophie9492015
    Options

I think that would be the calories MFP allots me with my maintenance and sedentary setting. The amount I can eat and not lose or gain weight with little to no exercise. I think we are doing the same thing. :smile:

Maybe but i think it would be worth checking
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

But you burn way more in a day than just BMR and then exercise - so you are starting with bad figures.

You aren't accounting for any daily movement then - so basically sleep 24 hrs except for the time exercising - which obviously isn't correct.

Then not accounting for the calories burned processing the food eaten, about 10%.

You can't arrive at a deficit figure, which would actually be the total daily burn minus what you eat.

You are actually calculating surplus if you start with eaten minus other.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

But you burn way more in a day than just BMR and then exercise - so you are starting with bad figures.

You aren't accounting for any daily movement then - so basically sleep 24 hrs except for the time exercising - which obviously isn't correct.

Then not accounting for the calories burned processing the food eaten, about 10%.

You can't arrive at a deficit figure, which would actually be the total daily burn minus what you eat.

You are actually calculating surplus if you start with eaten minus other.

Yeah i know! Its like impossible!
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Mine has been somewhat accurate but then again I do estimate a few months in advance to see what I will weigh per week etc, I love little stats like that, if I'm not what I estimated then I don't really get upset, I find it all very motivating and interesting to me.
  • sophie9492015
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    It's probably somewhat accurate if you did exactly the same thing everyday. It's just looking at your one day and telling you that if you ate exactly like that everyday for 5 weeks, that's where you'd be. I wish it looked at a 3 month .running total or something. That would be far more accurate to predict your outcome in 5 weeks. Of course, you can just do that yourself in excel.

As an aside, I use an app called Happy Scale. It makes very accurate predictions based on your weigh ins. I'm waiting for it to one day say, "you will never reach your goal." Lol.

Hmmm, cool will download :)
  • 92joann
    92joann Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Do you mean it's predicting you'll lose more or less than your calorie deficit says you will? I quite like it, it told me yesterday I'd lose 10lbs in 5weeks which I think is pretty accurate for how I'm progressing
  • its_whisper
    its_whisper Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think it's mainly a estimate. You shouldn't take it to heart because you won't eat the same exact number of calories every day because we are human. It's a good estimate though because a few months ago it said in 5 weeks I would lose 6 pounds and I lost 5.
  • ezekielsherrard205735
    ezekielsherrard205735 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Advertising model :)t66572y2gd23.jpg