It says in 5 weeks you will weigh..

Options
2»

Replies

• sophie9492015
    sophie9492015 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    92joann wrote: »
    Do you mean it's predicting you'll lose more or less than your calorie deficit says you will? I quite like it, it told me yesterday I'd lose 10lbs in 5weeks which I think is pretty accurate for how I'm progressing

Its way more it said id lose like 4 kg today and i hd no deficit.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could switch it off, in fact there are a number of tweaks they should make to accommodate the gainers and maintainers as well as the losers.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you mean it's predicting you'll lose more or less than your calorie deficit says you will? I quite like it, it told me yesterday I'd lose 10lbs in 5weeks which I think is pretty accurate for how I'm progressing

Considering the math you gave earlier for how you calculate deficit - why do you think you had no deficit according to MFP math?

Do you have MFP set to maintenance so no weight loss?
    You ate exactly that amount stated was your goal?

That would be no deficit for MFP math.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    So, you know how once you complete your diary it pops up if every day was like today you would weigh.. in 5 weeks?
    I had a look and found that it doesnt make sense if you add your calorie defecit up to be the same for 5 weeks its not the number they give you.. have you noticed that?

Your calorie deficit? Um when you say 'calorie deficit', do you mean the difference between your calorie goal for the day and the amount you actually ate?

If so, you've got some figures missing. When you fill in your profile to make an MFP account, and how much you want to lose each week, MFP calculates how much you need to eat each day to maintain your weight, and then subtracts calories from that to calculate your weight-loss goal. That second figure is the one it displays as a goal. Any deficit we create between that calorie goal and what we eat per day is an additional calorie deficit.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I really wish I could switch it off, in fact there are a number of tweaks they should make to accommodate the gainers and maintainers as well as the losers.

The way to avoid it is to stop pressing the "complete diary" button. There's no particular reason to use the button, since you can still input more calories for that day afterward. (There's no particular reason not to use it, if you like it.)
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options

Just seen this post.

If you have set your account to lose weight, and you have eaten exactly as many calories as suggested, or even a little over, you are in a calorie deficit.

I made a thread in MFP suggestions once that might explain it better.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570677/what-about-an-amendment-to-the-way-the-nutritional-goals-are-displayed-post-set-up#latest
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I hate math... I just ignore the "eating back" or what I will weigh in 5 weeks. I just try to stay within the range of my allotted calories and keep on going...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    The projection thing means that if you ate the same amount,worked out the same amount and burned the same amount of calories you would lose that much weight in 5 weeks but you would have to do the same thing every day and be as accurate as possible to get there. if the thing was correct I would have been at my goal weight more than a year ago. but I dont eat the same every day or do the same workouts/activities so I know that because of that its not going to be exact.
  • AmyMabaso1
    AmyMabaso1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I thinks its just there for motivation hey
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    AmyMabaso1 wrote: »
    I thinks its just there for motivation hey
    its just a formula they use to give you a projection of what it could be if you did the same thing every day the way you did that day.for some it may motivate others it may discourage. to each their own I guess though. I just ignore it lol
  • Karen_DisneyFan
    Karen_DisneyFan Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I never complete my day... so then I don't have to see that! All my diary info is still there, I'm just not seeing "Karen completed her day and was under (over) her calories, blah, blah, blah"
  • starskl
    starskl Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Mine has been quite accurate, but I'm getting to the point now where things might slow down (I lost 3lb last week, that's not a weekly weight loss I can maintain) so we'll see. I try and average it out across the week and divide by the 5 weeks, it usually works out around 2lb -2.5lb a week, which is about right. My calories don't change much day by day though, so that might be a factor also. I don't tend to put my exercise calories in though, it just throws me.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    When I clicked complete last night It had me below my goal in 5 weeks. Very encouraging, I must say.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,721 Member
    Options
    The projection thing means that if you ate the same amount,worked out the same amount and burned the same amount of calories you would lose that much weight in 5 weeks but you would have to do the same thing every day and be as accurate as possible to get there. if the thing was correct I would have been at my goal weight more than a year ago. but I dont eat the same every day or do the same workouts/activities so I know that because of that its not going to be exact.

Yes to this.

Moreover, your MFP goal is only an estimate. If you want better projection accuracy, you have to adjust based on your personal loss-rate experience, after 6 weeks or so.

MFP's (and other calculators') estimates are averages, based on research studies of large groups of people. Most people are close to the averages (in statistical terms, standard deviation is relatively small). But a very few people could be up to several hundred calories per day different from the estimate, in either direction.

Read this, if you're interested in the subject:

https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I've never actually noticed if it was accurate (thinking no since I only pay attention to the figure when i have a decent deficit and not my over days hahaha)