Replies

• sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    not so authentic Puerto Rican beans

jar sofrito or a can of diced tomatoes with green chilis
    mixed beans
    water
    any of these spices that you have already: cumin, parika, chili powder, cayenne, oregano, cilantro, salt, pepper
    you can add some chopped bell peppers and/ or onions if you want

cook in crock pot

you can eat it with rice, or you can put some kind of meat in it if you want (it resembles chili if you put lean ground beef in it but I use vege meat crumbles instead and one bag of those will do and its only $3), it's delicious without any meat though and it is really filling food
  • mjboswell
    mjboswell Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Try this: http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/healthy-recipe-finder#
    Under Conveniences check "Budget Friendly", and maybe "Good For Crowds", and then pick the rest as you choose.
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    One of my cheapest is taking a number 10 can of tomato sauce, adding spices, garlic, basil,orgeano, red pepper, some grated caorrot - essentially whatever you like and lots of it. I let this simmer in the crockpot all day and then serve over spaghetti. It is just as good as the cheap canned stuff but more plentiful and cheaper.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I posted one for my Pals on my profile yesterday. Here it is:

I lb hamburger meat browned
    1 bag of frozen (Birdseye) peppers and onions or use fresh
    3 can of stewed tomatoes
    3 can of dark red kidney beans

Brown meat, Cook peppers and onions till soft. Add tomatoes and beans. Let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes.

Each 8 oz serving has only 184 calories!

Great served over rice or with tortilla chips. I add a few beef bouillon cubes, Tony Cashere's, balsamic vinegar and siriacha to mine :)
  • melinda200208
    melinda200208 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I make chicken/bean/rice wraps. Really cheap. I make a bunch of them and freeze them.

Chicken breasts
    White or Brown Rice
    Black beans (any kind you prefer)
    Pinto beans
    Velveeta Queso Shredded Cheese
    Tortilla Wraps
    Garlic
    Taco or Fajita seasoning

Fry the chicken up. Add a few cloves of fresh garlic minced. Shred up the chicken. Cook the rice. Mix together the chicken, beans, and rice. Put a spoonful of that mixture on a tortilla and add a little shredded cheese. My husband likes to add salsa as well. Very cheap! We also make breakfast burritos and freeze them as well. I think when i figured it out, it was about 50cents a burrito. Maybe even a tad cheaper.
  • philodoxdreams
    philodoxdreams Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump.

We have a family of 7 - red beans and rice and baked/stuffed potatoes are a staple in our house, especially when we're cooking on a budget.
  • ware_sarah
    ware_sarah Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Bump! Same as a lot of you, family of 7 on a budget, Good post to get new ideas!
  • kathyvstephan
    Options
    bump
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Wow! Everyone but me lives someplace where chicken breasts are cheap, I guess! I'd like to go there.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Here's a fun, easy, cheap way to make oatmeal, even for family members who don't like oatmeal.

Get a canester of store brand rolled oats and cook them according to directions. Cook up about 6-8 servings. Add a little white or brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins, and pour into a loaf pan. Refrigerate. The next morning, cut into 1" slices and fry in a small amount of butter till both sides have some tasty browning on them. Serve with syrup if needed. Very good and filling. Kids will eat it.
  • megsi474
    megsi474 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Chicken breasts, salsa, taco seasoning. Put it in a crockpot and let go all day. Make as much as you want. I have a family of four. I use 2 jars of store brand salsa (2 for $3), one or two packs of taco seasoning, depending on your tastes. Can add black beans as well. The ratio of all of the above really just depends on what your personal preference is. Sometimes I take (99 cents) flour tortillas, use a pizza cutter and cut in triangles, spray with a little pam, sprinkle with some of the taco seasoning and pop in oven to crisp up to go with it. Hope this helps!

I was going to post something similar. I do this over rice or potatoes (white or sweet depending on your preference).
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Sizethree4Ever
    Sizethree4Ever Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Wow! Everyone but me lives someplace where chicken breasts are cheap, I guess! I'd like to go there.

I thought about the same thing. I live in Canada, and meat, especially boneless chicken breasts here are expensive.
    I bought 1 tray that has 4 pcs of chicken breast $ 24.99. Even fresh veggies and fruits prices are crazy expensive.
    I spend $ 200 week easy on our grocery a week for myself and two teenagers, not including junk food.
  • Linda916
    Linda916 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I always start with the local grocery store ads. I make a plan ahead of time. I figure out our weekly meals based on what is on sale that week. I make my list and head out. I go to the meat section of the sale ad first and see what is on sale, is the least expensive per pound, yet a healthy choice. I then look at the fresh veggies that are on ad and go from there. In my area this week, cucumbers are 50cents, zucchini is 59cents, and cauliflower is 99cents, and the DEAL: chicken leg quarters are 75cents a pound. You can do a million things with chicken and there are so many websites where you can throw in the ingredients of your pantry and fridge and they will figure out a meal plan for you!

5 pounds of chicken to bbq or bake or whatever $3.75
    3 cucumbers (for a cucumber salad) $1.50
    2 pounds zucchini $1.18
    1 head cauliflower $0.99

Bam! Family Dinner for $7.42

(the chicken leg quarters are a bit fatty and require me to trim them a bit and I pull the skin off but at the price they are a great deal!)

Just an example... best of luck! You can do it!
  • HealthyFocused715
    HealthyFocused715 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Another to try might be www.budgetbytes.com
  • JosieFury
    JosieFury Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I grew up ridiculously broke and if you don't have a crock pot already, get one. (Sometimes even Goodwill will have a decent sized used one for oh, $5.)

If you're nice enough to meat department people, bakery etc they'll tell you when they put the markdowns out during the day. I've managed to get meat (including full "pot roast" kits with the meat and veg all wrapped up) for half and sometimes less than half of the original price. And don't be afraid to scrounge the day-old bakery rack, since you have six people and it's probably going to be eaten while it's still fresh anyway. There's nice bread choices over there sometimes - I go through those Flat-Out wraps like it's nobody's business and I've found them on the discount rack.

Idunno if they've reopened any of the bread outlets since Hostess is back, but check there. I used to get the Oroweat sandwich thins and the 100 calorie English muffins there for gawsh....maybe a third of what they cost at the grocery.

Pasta. Yeah, it's not glam, but when I went to Wal-Mart yesterday the Newman's Own sauces are right around 2 bucks and they're GOOD. And you really can throw just about anything on pasta.

Literally typing as I think of things here, I apologise for rambling! You probably already know this but take the extra two seconds to get the grocery store's discount coupon card thing if you haven't already done so and CHECK YOUR CIRCULARS.

(Note: I am not really a horse. That is just a troll deterrent.)
  • Msnevergiveup70
    Msnevergiveup70 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Chicken is not always cheap however around here turkey is on .98 a pound. I got a good size turkey for under $10. why do we wait for Christmas when turkey has so many versatile meals.
  • JosieFury
    JosieFury Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Chicken is not always cheap however around here turkey is on .98 a pound. I got a good size turkey for under $10. why do we wait for Christmas when turkey has so many versatile meals.

THANK you! My gram cooked turkey almost year round because it was so much cheaper than chicken - Idunno how but it never ended up dry either... It's one of those things you don't even think of until someone mentions it.
  • SACasto
    SACasto Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump