Replies

• mlrodgers381
    mlrodgers381 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    bump
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Visit your local farmer's market just before closing. Usually they would rather sell cheap than take it home. Check the grocery for the meat that's been marked down (it's still good for another day or two and you can freeze it). Rice and beans go a long way.

My mom used to stretch hamburger by adding bread crumbs, eggs (you could use just egg whites for less calories), a little ketchup and mustard, salt and pepper (like a meatloaf mixture). Form into patties and grill or bake until cooked through. We called it poor man steak. You can get 6 patties out of a pound of ground beef.

Roast a whole chicken in the crock pot all day on low with a couple of onions, some carrots and celery, Save the stock and shred the chicken to use in casseroles or other dishes.
  • mnardi123
    mnardi123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I grew up with two immigrant parents one of which had a "Depression Mentality". Frittatas with zucchini, onions, and grated cheese; minestrone soup, pasta and beans in a light tomato sauce. If you have a produce market like I do, I shop there first see what on sale, today bell peppers were .79/ lb eggplant .59/lb so stuffed peppers and unfried eggplant rollatini will be on this weeks menu. Also, check your local grocery store flyers...last week Shoperite had London broil steak for $1.99/lb in twin packs so we had steak for dinner this past week but also salads for lunch and steak quesadillas.
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I cook pasta or rice in broth or use bouillon cubes in the water. Fry up some green onions, zucchini, peppers, garlic, grated carrots, tomatoes,celery,( pretty much whatever veggies you like) add any leftover meat you may have (ground beef, ham, chicken, pork, canned meat, chopped up sausages or hot dogs--they all work well) and mix everything together. Mix it all together, put in in a casserole dish and eat it! You can garnish with a little grated cheese if you like. It's very good and you don't need a lot of meat for this recipe. The variations are endless, and it works well with pasta or rice, or you could parboil some yams/potatoes and throw those in with the other veggies and skip on the pasta/rice

We are a family of 6, two of which are teenage boys. I grew up in a family of 10. I know a fair bit about cheap, healthy cooking.
  • rusaner1
    rusaner1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • submissivelyserving
    submissivelyserving Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • camsgal06
    Options
    bump
  • BrookieTrout626
    BrookieTrout626 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I love this post! Bumpity bump
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    This is a delicious rice and black beans recipe, and the only thing most people will need to buy from the ingredients list is the black beans and maybe bell peppers and onions.

http://icuban.com/food/moros_y_cristianos.html

Here's a recipe from Puerto Rico that pairs well with the rice and beans.

1-3 lbs chicken pieces
    1TBS salt
    1/2 tsp marjoram or oregano
    2cloves minced garlic
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2TBS vinegar

Cut slices with a sharp knife into chicken. Mix above ingredients and let marinade for 3 hours.

1/4 lb. chopped ham
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/2 cup tomato sauce
    1large onion chopped
    1/2 cup green olives
    1/2 cup chopped red peppers
    1 bay leaf

Pour in olive oil and sautee onions. Mix all other ingredients except olives. When chicken is tender add olives for flavor and remove from heat.

If you don't have every minor ingredient it will be ok. Basically what you can't do without is the chicken, garlic (garlic powder is an acceptable substitute),onion, and tomato sauce. Sometimes I haven't had the ham. I don't always have vinegar (lemon or lime juice are suitable substitutes). I prefer chicken thighs and drumsticks but use whatever. The chicken skin adds flavor but skinless pieces will do great as long as you marinate them.
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chelz2013
    Chelz2013 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Bump :)
  • Jaine86
    Jaine86 Posts: 36
    Options
    Linguine with brocolli and red capsicum
    Ingredients
    Serves : 6
    1, 500g packet linguine pasta
    625g fresh broccoli, cut into florets
    2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    30g butter
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 large red capsicum, seeded and thinly sliced
    grated Parmesan cheese to serve

Directions
    Preparation:5min › Cook:15min › Ready in:20min
    1.Bring a large saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and keep warm.
    2.Steam broccoli with 2 tablespoons water in microwave for 6 to 7 minutes.
    3.In a large frying pan, heat olive oil and butter over low heat. Stir in garlic (more or less to suit your taste) and red capsicum. Fry gently until capsicum softens.
    4.Drain broccoli and add to frying pan.
    5.Toss the pasta gently through the vegetable mixture until heated through. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Lettuce cups (my mum used to make this)

500gm mince
    jar domino sauce (the pasta kind)
    zuccini and carrot chopped finely
    1` onion

You fry the onion and brown the mince add the jar of sauce and then add the carrots and zuccini let it cook til carrot and zuccini soft and meat thoroughly cooked and serve on lettuce.
  • Jaine86
    Options
    You could always do tacos they're cheap and filling.

Cauliflower soup agains cheap as is pumpkin soup.

Pasta and sauce

• Jaine86
    Options
    Tuna Fusilli (from coles website)

200 g Fresh Green Beans, trimmed, cut crossways into 5cm-long pieces 350 g Coles Brand Fusilli 1/2 cup Olive Oil 1 medium Brown Onion, finely chopped 4 Cloves Garlic, finely chopped 2 medium Tomatoes, cored, cut into small dice 4 large Sprigs of Fresh Thyme, leaves removed 1/2 tsp Coles Brand Dried Chilli Flakes 2 x 185 g cans Coles Brand MSC Approved Tuna, drained Method1.Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Add beans and cook for 4 mins, or until just tender. Using a slotted spoon, remove beans and transfer to a bowl of iced water to cool completely. Drain beans well. Return water to boil.
    2.Cook fusilli in boiling water according to packet directions, stirring often. Drain pasta, reserving 2⁄3 cup of the water.
    3.Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan. Add onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt to pan and cook for 1 min, or until tender. Add tomatoes, thyme and chilli flakes and cook for 3 mins, or until tomatoes soften. Season to taste with freshly ground black pepper.
    4.Add reserved pasta water, beans and remaining oil to tomato mixture. Add pasta and tuna and toss to coat, gently breaking up tuna with a spoon into large bite-size pieces. Serve immediately
  • GrammyNanner
    GrammyNanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Try skinnytaste.com. We've enjoyed anything we have made from this website.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Skip the meat sometimes. You can get good protein sources from eggs, lentils, and beans just fine. When I do buy meat I buy it when its on sale, portion it, and put it into (good quality!!!) freezer bags. To supplement I'll buy frozen vegetables. Beans cook very well in a crock pot. Just pot them in and cook while you're at work. Overnight is fine.

Chili can be made with mostly beans and just a small amount of meat. You get all the flavor of the meat without the cost. The leftovers can be used several ways. Use as a topping for baked potatoes, taco salad, topping on nachos, put in tortillas for tacos (thicken up leftovers a bit with oat flour if yours is more soupy), its also delicious when mixed with pasta for a southwest bake.

There are sooo many delicious recipes for lentils and split peas. Lately my favorite way to cook it is to sautee onions, add an assortment of vegetables (zucchini, leeks, carrots, bell peppers), 1 cup of red lentils, 6 cups of water, 1 bouillon cube. Let it cook until lentils are soft and blend. In a separate pan heat up 1-2 tbsp butter/ghee with 2 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 4 cloves minced garlic, and a bit of garam masala. Add it to the lentils and let simmer for 5 or so minutes. Delicious with some fresh crusty bread.

Stir fries can be made with small amounts of meat and eggs, lots of noodles and frozen veggies. Cheap, filling, and nutritious.

When we were broke we ate meat a few times a week, but we always had an assortment of fresh and frozen veggies, fruits, and grains.
  • blue730
    blue730 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you know the calories, fat grams, sugar & carbs for the Shepherd Pie Recipe? It looks like a recipe my hubby and I would love!!
  • TygerDawn
    TygerDawn Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Do you know the calories, fat grams, sugar & carbs for the Shepherd Pie Recipe? It looks like a recipe my hubby and I would love!!

This is an awesomely tasty and healthy recipe. Makes a ton and only 250 cals a serve.

http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/535183/hairy-biker-s-cottage-pie
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    1/2 bag of dried lentils
    3cans of veggie broth
    1 or 2 cans of tomatos
    1 onion diced
    salt and pepper
    any spices you prefer

lentils do not have to be soaked so cook onion till tender add lentils and broth spuces and salt and canned tomatos . Cook until beans are tender. You can also add pasta or rice to stretch it further.
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bump