State Fair Food

Options
I found an app that shows that calories of food at my state fair. I'm looking through it cringing when I realize how many calories I used to eat at the fair. I would have SNACKS that were well over 1000 calories a piece and main dishes close to 2000 calories a meal. I was easily eating 5000-6000 calories a day for 10 straight days!!

This year I have a plan that will still allow me to eat awesome "fair" food, but stay under 1300 calories a day. I'm looking forward to being successful.

Replies

• Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Just don't take the rides. I'm looking forward to the deep fried avocado.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding most things that say "deep fried". (But deep fried avocado sounds really good)
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding most things that say "deep fried". (But deep fried avocado sounds really good)

I didn't think that was possible at the Fair :)
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    The only food I that I will eat at the fair is a roasted turkey leg, corn on the cob and maybe a hot dog. My only indulence is a beer or 2. If I don't eat anything else the rest of the day, it's all good. Takes discipline.
  • magster4isu
    Options
    Be careful with turkey legs. The ones at my fair are over 1000 calories each.
  • magster4isu
    Options
    This app also tells you how long you would have to walk around the fair to burn off what you eat :smiley:

I would have to walk around 8 and a half hours to burn off the deep fried nacho balls.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    This app also tells you how long you would have to walk around the fair to burn off what you eat :smiley:

I would have to walk around 8 and a half hours to burn off the deep fried nacho balls.

But it would be worth it. ;)
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    At the State Fair of Texas a few years ago, my daughter carried a pedometer. We spent a few hours and did a little bit of stuff at the fair, and walked 8 miles. State Fair food is fuel!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Be careful with turkey legs. The ones at my fair are over 1000 calories each.

That 's why I only eat 1 and essentially nothing else, except the corn and beers, which keeps me under my 2k cal limit.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna eat all the foods and drink all the drinks if I get to one this year.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Dont' know what a state fair is but if it's like RibFest, there is not a hope in hell of me staying anywhere near 1300... by like 11am lol
  • FootballFan69
    FootballFan69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    @mrsnattybulking A State Fair is kinda the same as a RibFest but with more rides, more chance to waste your money on "skill games", agriculture displays and competitions, lots of farm animals (4H), horsemanship competitions, pregnant animals giving birth, and foods that would make a RibFest look like one of the most healthiest eating experience of your life! lol And you are totally right about being way over your calorie count by 11am. ;) I consider a Fair day three cheat days rolled into one, and plan on being extra good on the days before and after...
    Seriously, everyone should experience one of the big State Fairs just once in their lives. :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Have a donut cheeseburger for me. :cry:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to go to a state fair.
  • FootballFan69
    FootballFan69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Magster!
    What app is it? I'm going to the Fair on Saturday and would love to use it. I'm on a IPhone and just checked but couldn't find anything. Is it in the Apple App Store or are you Android?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I found that for the Iowa State Fair last year, but because I was concerned about macros and staying low carb (it was unsuccessful for the day). This year, I'm going to use the app to log food, but won't be so concerned about calories. I'm now down to zero carb, so will just stick with the turkey legs and maybe pork chops or steak or something. Diet sodas and water. Plus, I am going to walk again instead of riding the trams or the lift. I may be over calories for the day, but it is only 1 day and I'll be fine as long as I don't eat the wrong kind of foods.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I found that for the Iowa State Fair last year, but because I was concerned about macros and staying low carb (it was unsuccessful for the day). This year, I'm going to use the app to log food, but won't be so concerned about calories. I'm now down to zero carb, so will just stick with the turkey legs and maybe pork chops or steak or something. Diet sodas and water. Plus, I am going to walk again instead of riding the trams or the lift. I may be over calories for the day, but it is only 1 day and I'll be fine as long as I don't eat the wrong kind of foods.

Are you eating a purely carnivorous diet?
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    deep fried twinkies............(salivating)