Do you get the recommended 5-13 servings of fruits and veg?

Just curious how everyone does with their daily servings of fruit and vegetables. I try to get a lot of veggies with my lunch and dinner but doubt I get the recommended amount.

Replies

• OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    Yes, I average 800g-1,000+ grams of veggies and fruit a day, following the new recommendation that came out earlier this year.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    I usually do. A big portion of what I eat is vegetables and I have fruit 1-3 times a week. Today I will have blueberries, cucumbers, zucchini, onion, tomatoes, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, scallions, heart of palm, and jalapenos.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Usually yes, but I'm sure there are days I fall short. A serving is fairly small.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    I get lots of fruit in but am actively working on increasing my veg quantity and variety.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I don't know what a serving is but I eat a good amount of fruit and veg.

Same here, I eat vegs with all three meals and fruit with breakfast and lunch. I aim for steady intake, variety and enjoyment, not excessive amounts. It still adds up to a quite impressive amount (I'm impressed, at least, lol).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,030 Member
    Yes. I've been in various veggie/fruit challenges here, and just counted what I usually eat without making any major changes, using the "80 grams is a serving" approximation.

It's unusual for me to get fewer than 10 servings, and not that unusual to get 18+.

Love my veggies & fruits, and tend to feel satiated by a solid combination of volume (i.e. fiber, veggies & fruit) plus adequate protein.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    I eat a lot of fruit. I don't eat a lot of raw or plain veggies, but I find ways to incorporate them into my recipes.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Yes. I've been in various veggie/fruit challenges here, and just counted what I usually eat without making any major changes, using the "80 grams is a serving" approximation.

It's unusual for me to get fewer than 10 servings, and not that unusual to get 18+.

Love my veggies & fruits, and tend to feel satiated by a solid combination of volume (i.e. fiber, veggies & fruit) plus adequate protein.

Eighteen 80g servings in a day? Wouldn't that be over 5000 calories just in veg/fruit?
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 547 Member
    I am horrible about getting that much, especially with fruit. I can nail down a good 3 or 4 veggie portions a day but I have trouble incorporating fruit. Something I need to adjust for sure.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    mndamon wrote: »
    I am horrible about getting that much, especially with fruit. I can nail down a good 3 or 4 veggie portions a day but I have trouble incorporating fruit. Something I need to adjust for sure.

A lot of what people call vegetables are also fruit so you might be getting more than you think.
  • its_whisper
    its_whisper Posts: 112 Member
    No much to my regret. I hardly eat fruits but I do eat a lot of veggies. I usually have 3 to 4 servings a day.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Yes, typically I do. I aim for 8-10, mostly vegetables, but tend to eat a couple servings of fruit daily (sometimes 3) in the summer.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited July 2017
    I don't. Sssshhh don't tell my mum :worried:

Ironically i ate plenty of veggies when my kids still lived at home because i made sure they had them most every night, but now that it's just me and hubby i have slacked off! Yet I'm still on their backs to "Eat more veggies", and they're in their mid 20's. I so need to practice what i preach....
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    I'm pretty sure yes but I don't keep track. Looking back on the last couple days I'd say so
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    4 to 6 servings of veg and 1 or 2 servings of fruit most days
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Some fruits and veggies make my mouth itch but I still eat them. I will at times have a fruit for a snack, a salad for a meal, a vegetable along with breakfast and dinner. I try to get some portions in each day but it's usually more like 1-2 cups of a fruit and veggie per day if that much.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    I do but only because of spinach. Most days I have two or three "servings" of spinach- workout days when I make a green smoothie I probably have 4 or 5 spinach servings. I have a nice mix of other fruits/vegetables and eat my rainbow - but my rainbow starts and ends with spinach green lol.
  • OliveGirl128
    OliveGirl128 Posts: 801 Member
    edited July 2017
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Eighteen 80g servings in a day? Wouldn't that be over 5000 calories just in veg/fruit?

Did you mean 500 calories?

Taking a peek at a day when I tracked specifics, I hit 1,115g of veg/fruit, which is around 14 servings (not including the beans and olives I also ate that day, which counts as two more servings, depending on what guideline you follow), and it came in under 700 calories for the veg/fruit.