Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    fjmartini wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Keto can work great for people who are easily satiated by fat. For others (like me) who do not feel full after eating fatty foods, it is not a good fit.

I agree that it's not the only diet to use but she mentioned that she'd be sidelined from a surgery. Keto or carb nite solution is the only diet I know of that a person wouldn't have to overly restrict their calories while still losing weight. It was just a suggestion that works for me.

You have to restrict your calories on a keto diet just like you do on any other diet. Keto does not magically defy the laws of energy balance. It all comes down to CICO regardless of how you choose to divide up your macros or what time you choose to eat them.

The reason why I do keto is so I don't have to think about calories. I eat two 8 oz cheeseburgers with egg and bacon twice a week at least for dinner. Up to 8-10 whole eggs nearly daily and as long as I keep my net carbs between 20-30 grams I'm satisfied. My body fat drops from about 18% to 10% in the shortest time I ever experienced and I was a ephedrine degenerate. I'm going to assume she has a 6-7 month parameter for her weight loss goal because she has an event she's planning for. I can't think of another diet that will help her to continue to lose weight while in recovery from her surgery that will transform her body at the same time like keto or an adjusted form of it. Her response to me was she was concerned about transitioning off of it. I just responded that it's easier than she might think.

Whether she does keto or not, she will need to eat the same amount of calories one way or the other. Keto works for you because the foods fill you up easily and you don't have to try to limit portions, it just happens naturally. And that's great. But that doesn't work for everyone. OP didn't say she was having trouble eating the right amount of calories, just that she thinks she is eating the right calories, but isn't losing weight.

The point of the diet chart is that macros and meal timing don't directly affect weight loss. They can affect satiety, with different macros and meal schedules working for different people, but weight loss will be the same.

I'd also say that just my opinion, but I don't think a month before surgery is a good time to go and completely change your WOE, especially not knowing what type of surgery it is.
  • kimny72
    Options
    OP, sorry your thread got sidetracked! Regardless of what you decide to eat, tighten up your logging and take good care of yourself pre and post op.
  • eisterunicorn
    eisterunicorn Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    sizdepsk wrote: »
    I agree with keto... the entire reason I do keto is because I have 2 kids and work full time so I'd rather spend my free time with them instead of working out. I don't feel like it's about calorie deficit AT ALL, couldn't be further from the truth. It's about your body's response (perhaps the metabolic damage you may have) and hormones (especially insulin). Do your own research and figure out what will work best for you. Food is far more than just calories.

Genuinely curious, why does eating high fat make it okay to not exercise? I thought exercise was good for your body no matter what diet you're on. :confounded:
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    . I do carb nite colution. You can find the free PDF online.

i hope i don't sound like too big of an idiot, but i have read 3 or 4 articles on carb nite and i still have no idea what it is. LOL
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    I agree with keto... the entire reason I do keto is because I have 2 kids and work full time so I'd rather spend my free time with them instead of working out. I don't feel like it's about calorie deficit AT ALL, couldn't be further from the truth. It's about your body's response (perhaps the metabolic damage you may have) and hormones (especially insulin). Do your own research and figure out what will work best for you. Food is far more than just calories.

Genuinely curious, why does eating high fat make it okay to not exercise? I thought exercise was good for your body no matter what diet you're on. :confounded:

It is good to exercise but OP is having surgery and won't be able to for a little while. When you eat mostly fat your body transfers from burning glucose to ketones, which is fat. All the fatvstores in your body get used as fuel once carbs are restricted.
  • kimny72
    edited July 2017
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    This is exactly what I've been trying to say. You will get lean without working out.
    I lost about 130 pounds using 50%C-20%P-30%F and didn't exercise while doing it.

Keto isn't magic. Keto works as a comfortable way to eat while losing weight for some and you happen to be one of those people. Way of eating for weight loss isn't one-size-fits-all.

There's nothing wrong with Keto but there's nothing wrong with any other way of eating that gives you a calorie deficit and enough nutrients. Humans can eat a wide range of macro percentages successfully.

Yep, I usually fall at 45%C/25%P/30%F, I eat 1500-1600 to lose weight and when I'm not trying to lose I eat @ 1800 calories. I am never hungry (other than right before meal time). I have never been technically overweight but lost 20 vanity lbs just fine, while doing some basic strength training and taking a 15 minute walk every morning.

I can suck down high fat foods like it's air - especially cheese and ice cream - I just don't find them satiating <shrug>
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I've been trying to say. You will get lean without working out.
    I lost about 130 pounds using 50%C-20%P-30%F and didn't exercise while doing it.

Keto isn't magic. Keto works as a comfortable way to eat while losing weight for some and you happen to be one of those people. Way of eating for weight loss isn't one-size-fits-all.

Did you eat about 500 calories a day?
    No. I ate about 1350 calories for a couple of years and now I'm eating more than that because I've added some walking.

I started with my normal way of eating and made adjustments to reduce overall calories while still eating foods I like. I reduced my portions and found satisfying substitutions. Basically a build-your-own eating plan.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options

What do you mean by that? You can only lose weight on those macros by starving yourself? That doesn't make sense :confused:

You can't lose 130 lbs with those macros without working out unless your calories are severely restricted.
    Not true.
  • fjmartini
    Options

No. I ate about 1350 calories for a couple of years and now I'm eating more than that because I've added some walking.

I started with my normal way of eating and made adjustments to reduce overall calories while still eating foods I like. I reduced my portions and found satisfying substitutions. Basically a build-your-own eating plan.

Congratulations on the dedication. OPs time frame is 6-7 months.
  • fjmartini
    Options
    2DUNNY wrote: »
    . I do carb nite colution. You can find the free PDF online.

i hope i don't sound like too big of an idiot, but i have read 3 or 4 articles on carb nite and i still have no idea what it is. LOL
    It's keto macros for 9 and a half days then a carb load up for a 4-6 hour window. Then back to 7-9 days of keto and a few hours of high carbs.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

It is good to exercise but OP is having surgery and won't be able to for a little while. When you eat mostly fat your body transfers from burning glucose to ketones, which is fat. All the fatvstores in your body get used as fuel once carbs are restricted.

nope thats not how keto works! what you are using for fuel is dietary fat,not body stores(that can be done without keto as well its called a deficit). if keto burned fat stores in your body then once you lost all the fat what would happen next? once carbs are restricted your body and liver runs out of glycogen and its not turned into glucose for energy,so your body will use dietary fat and use it for fuel which helps produce ketones as an alternate energy source.

fat is burned in a deficit no matter how you eat, if keto was the only way then I would have NEVER lost weight. you also cannot store fat in a deficit of calories.so saying that all your fat stores are being used as energy is WRONG. thats why keto is low carb high fat. even protein can be turned into glucose as fuel through glucogenesis,which is why in keto its moderate protein to prevent that from happening.

see this is why a lot of people who want to lose weight jump on keto because they think its a special body fat burning diet when its actually not, and it wasnt meant to be used as a diet for weight loss.It was meant to control seizures in some and they found that it can help those with type 2 diabetes,PCOS and insulin resistance.