• fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    fjmartini wrote: »
    2DUNNY wrote: »
    . I do carb nite colution. You can find the free PDF online.

i hope i don't sound like too big of an idiot, but i have read 3 or 4 articles on carb nite and i still have no idea what it is. LOL
    It's keto macros for 9 and a half days then a carb load up for a 4-6 hour window. Then back to 7-9 days of keto and a few hours of high carbs.

Really, stop with the nonsense. None of this is necessary. Stop with the woo. Keto has no metabolic advantage. There is no study of any credibility that supports it. It all come down to preference. OP, get what activity you can and reduce intake to match output.

Ok. Sorry. Thanks for settling the debate. I've been waiting for mmapags to settle this since it began. Done and done.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    sizdepsk wrote: »
    I agree with keto... the entire reason I do keto is because I have 2 kids and work full time so I'd rather spend my free time with them instead of working out. I don't feel like it's about calorie deficit AT ALL, couldn't be further from the truth. It's about your body's response (perhaps the metabolic damage you may have) and hormones (especially insulin). Do your own research and figure out what will work best for you. Food is far more than just calories.

Genuinely curious, why does eating high fat make it okay to not exercise? I thought exercise was good for your body no matter what diet you're on. :confounded:

It is good to exercise but OP is having surgery and won't be able to for a little while. When you eat mostly fat your body transfers from burning glucose to ketones, which is fat. All the fatvstores in your body get used as fuel once carbs are restricted.

nope thats not how keto works! what you are using for fuel is dietary fat,not body stores(that can be done without keto as well its called a deficit). if keto burned fat stores in your body then once you lost all the fat what would happen next? once carbs are restricted your body and liver runs out of glycogen and its not turned into glucose for energy,so your body will use dietary fat and use it for fuel which helps produce ketones as an alternate energy source.

fat is burned in a deficit no matter how you eat, if keto was the only way then I would have NEVER lost weight. you also cannot store fat in a deficit of calories.so saying that all your fat stores are being used as energy is WRONG. thats why keto is low carb high fat. even protein can be turned into glucose as fuel through glucogenesis,which is why in keto its moderate protein to prevent that from happening.

see this is why a lot of people who want to lose weight jump on keto because they think its a special body fat burning diet when its actually not, and it wasnt meant to be used as a diet for weight loss.It was meant to control seizures in some and they found that it can help those with type 2 diabetes,PCOS and insulin resistance.

I don't need the full history of cell phones to know how to use one.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

i hope i don't sound like too big of an idiot, but i have read 3 or 4 articles on carb nite and i still have no idea what it is. LOL
    It's keto macros for 9 and a half days then a carb load up for a 4-6 hour window. Then back to 7-9 days of keto and a few hours of high carbs.

Really, stop with the nonsense. None of this is necessary. Stop with the woo. Keto has no metabolic advantage. There is no study of any credibility that supports it. It all come down to preference. OP, get what activity you can and reduce intake to match output.

Ok. Sorry. Thanks for settling the debate. I've been waiting for mmapags to settle this since it began. Done and done.

Quite right! Carry on then....
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I'm an ex-ketoer. I switched to OMAD- or Intermittent fasting- 20:4. I couldn't do keto for more than a few months.. it's just not for everyone. I'm much happier eating all my calories (1500) in one meal or within a few hours each day. It keeps me so full and I can eat whatever I want, not really focusing on any specific macros. Of course, I try to eat as much vegetables and protein to fill up first, but knowing that there are plenty of calories left for sweets is very satisfying!
  • jjohnson990
    jjohnson990 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Keto can work great for people who are easily satiated by fat. For others (like me) who do not feel full after eating fatty foods, it is not a good fit.

I agree that it's not the only diet to use but she mentioned that she'd be sidelined from a surgery. Keto or carb nite solution is the only diet I know of that a person wouldn't have to overly restrict their calories while still losing weight. It was just a suggestion that works for me.

You have to restrict your calories on a keto diet just like you do on any other diet. Keto does not magically defy the laws of energy balance. It all comes down to CICO regardless of how you choose to divide up your macros or what time you choose to eat them.

The reason why I do keto is so I don't have to think about calories. I eat two 8 oz cheeseburgers with egg and bacon twice a week at least for dinner. Up to 8-10 whole eggs nearly daily and as long as I keep my net carbs between 20-30 grams I'm satisfied. My body fat drops from about 18% to 10% in the shortest time I ever experienced and I was a ephedrine degenerate. I'm going to assume she has a 6-7 month parameter for her weight loss goal because she has an event she's planning for. I can't think of another diet that will help her to continue to lose weight while in recovery from her surgery that will transform her body at the same time like keto or an adjusted form of it. Her response to me was she was concerned about transitioning off of it. I just responded that it's easier than she might think.

You may be losing weight but you are clogging your arteries with cholesterol & saturating your liver in fat. So at what cost to your body are you making these changes. Pre & post op regardless of the surgery it's not a good idea to clog your arteries. Losing weight is a life style change & should be healthy for the body as a whole. With a life style change that high in cholesterol and fats you may be losing weight but you are increasing your chances of a heart attack, stroke &heart disease at a young age
  • kokonani
    kokonani Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    How's it misinformation? I said to use a 70/25/5 split. Who cares why the diet was created or how the the weight is lost? An abundance of protein without working out is used as glucose; if she's training on it she can modify the diet to help muscle breakdown. I use the diet and all I needed to know was the macro breakdown. It's serves no purpose to tell the origin story of the diet in this thread.

Keto is not just about macros. It's also calorie deficit. If you eat more than your TDEE, you will gain on keto. Especially if she cannot work out due to surgery, her TDEE is not a high number as yourself. I've been on keto and it was hard to keep within 1400 calories for me daily. The fat was not satisfying to me enough and it's very high in calories so it just didn't work. Some people just don't want to eat bacon and eggs everyday..
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I agree with keto... the entire reason I do keto is because I have 2 kids and work full time so I'd rather spend my free time with them instead of working out. I don't feel like it's about calorie deficit AT ALL, couldn't be further from the truth. It's about your body's response (perhaps the metabolic damage you may have) and hormones (especially insulin). Do your own research and figure out what will work best for you. Food is far more than just calories.

Genuinely curious, why does eating high fat make it okay to not exercise? I thought exercise was good for your body no matter what diet you're on. :confounded:

It is good to exercise but OP is having surgery and won't be able to for a little while. When you eat mostly fat your body transfers from burning glucose to ketones, which is fat. All the fatvstores in your body get used as fuel once carbs are restricted.

nope thats not how keto works! what you are using for fuel is dietary fat,not body stores(that can be done without keto as well its called a deficit). if keto burned fat stores in your body then once you lost all the fat what would happen next? once carbs are restricted your body and liver runs out of glycogen and its not turned into glucose for energy,so your body will use dietary fat and use it for fuel which helps produce ketones as an alternate energy source.

fat is burned in a deficit no matter how you eat, if keto was the only way then I would have NEVER lost weight. you also cannot store fat in a deficit of calories.so saying that all your fat stores are being used as energy is WRONG. thats why keto is low carb high fat. even protein can be turned into glucose as fuel through glucogenesis,which is why in keto its moderate protein to prevent that from happening.

see this is why a lot of people who want to lose weight jump on keto because they think its a special body fat burning diet when its actually not, and it wasnt meant to be used as a diet for weight loss.It was meant to control seizures in some and they found that it can help those with type 2 diabetes,PCOS and insulin resistance.

I don't need the full history of cell phones to know how to use one.

But if you're giving people advice on cell phones and positioning yourself as an expert, it may be useful to know something about them.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Just as a general rule of thumb when trying to lose weight, never let your carb be more than double your protien when you eat something. That goes for meals & snacks. Adding the protien keeps you fuller longer & keeps your carbs in check. So if you have something that is 12g of protien don't go over 24g of carbs.

Protein does keep many people fuller for longer, but this isn't universally true. Some people (including myself) are more satisfied by carbohydrates. There's no inherent reason to avoid higher carbohydrate meals (unless individuals find it makes it easier for them to meet their calorie goals). Some high carbohydrate meals (like beans and rice) are satisfying for a lot of people and can be very nutritious.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Keto can work great for people who are easily satiated by fat. For others (like me) who do not feel full after eating fatty foods, it is not a good fit.

I agree that it's not the only diet to use but she mentioned that she'd be sidelined from a surgery. Keto or carb nite solution is the only diet I know of that a person wouldn't have to overly restrict their calories while still losing weight. It was just a suggestion that works for me.

You have to restrict your calories on a keto diet just like you do on any other diet. Keto does not magically defy the laws of energy balance. It all comes down to CICO regardless of how you choose to divide up your macros or what time you choose to eat them.

The reason why I do keto is so I don't have to think about calories. I eat two 8 oz cheeseburgers with egg and bacon twice a week at least for dinner. Up to 8-10 whole eggs nearly daily and as long as I keep my net carbs between 20-30 grams I'm satisfied. My body fat drops from about 18% to 10% in the shortest time I ever experienced and I was a ephedrine degenerate. I'm going to assume she has a 6-7 month parameter for her weight loss goal because she has an event she's planning for. I can't think of another diet that will help her to continue to lose weight while in recovery from her surgery that will transform her body at the same time like keto or an adjusted form of it. Her response to me was she was concerned about transitioning off of it. I just responded that it's easier than she might think.

If anything, one has to watch their calories even closer while in LC/Keto due to the fat high percentage (and fat being 9 calories per gram). It's very easy to overshoot on fat.

And fat isn't satiating for everyone (especially not me). Macros are a personal thing.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »
    This is exactly what I've been trying to say. You will get lean without working out.
    I lost about 130 pounds using 50%C-20%P-30%F and didn't exercise while doing it.

Keto isn't magic. Keto works as a comfortable way to eat while losing weight for some and you happen to be one of those people. Way of eating for weight loss isn't one-size-fits-all.

Did you eat about 500 calories a day?

What do you mean by that? You can only lose weight on those macros by starving yourself? That doesn't make sense :confused:

You can't lose 130 lbs with those macros without working out unless your calories are severely restricted.

Utter BS.
    100lbs down here with a 30f/30p/40c split. At the beginning I was on ~2200. On 1500 now

Macros are for satiety, calories for weight loss.

Calories are king. Science.
  • cerise_noir
    Options
    Just as a general rule of thumb when trying to lose weight, never let your carb be more than double your protien when you eat something. That goes for meals & snacks. Adding the protien keeps you fuller longer & keeps your carbs in check. So if you have something that is 12g of protien don't go over 24g of carbs.

Say what now??
  • 2DUNNY
    2DUNNY Posts: 101 Member
    Options

thank you so much for the info. i appreciate it and i will look into it further. i am always looking for ways to tweak my keto regime. :flowerforyou:
  • 2DUNNY
    Options
    Ket

You may be losing weight but you are clogging your arteries with cholesterol & saturating your liver in fat. So at what cost to your body are you making these changes. Pre & post op regardless of the surgery it's not a good idea to clog your arteries. Losing weight is a life style change & should be healthy for the body as a whole. With a life style change that high in cholesterol and fats you may be losing weight but you are increasing your chances of a heart attack, stroke &heart disease at a young age

you wont clog your arteries and cause a heart attack by eating fat. that myth was dispelled.
  • 2DUNNY
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    I'm an ex-ketoer. I switched to OMAD- or Intermittent fasting- 20:4. I couldn't do keto for more than a few months.. it's just not for everyone. I'm much happier eating all my calories (1500) in one meal or within a few hours each day. It keeps me so full and I can eat whatever I want, not really focusing on any specific macros. Of course, I try to eat as much vegetables and protein to fill up first, but knowing that there are plenty of calories left for sweets is very satisfying!

i do both keto and 18:6 IF
  • 2DUNNY
    Options
    kokonani wrote: »
    How's it misinformation? I said to use a 70/25/5 split. Who cares why the diet was created or how the the weight is lost? An abundance of protein without working out is used as glucose; if she's training on it she can modify the diet to help muscle breakdown. I use the diet and all I needed to know was the macro breakdown. It's serves no purpose to tell the origin story of the diet in this thread.

Keto is not just about macros. It's also calorie deficit. If you eat more than your TDEE, you will gain on keto. Especially if she cannot work out due to surgery, her TDEE is not a high number as yourself. I've been on keto and it was hard to keep within 1400 calories for me daily. The fat was not satisfying to me enough and it's very high in calories so it just didn't work. Some people just don't want to eat bacon and eggs everyday..

i do not just eat bacon and eggs. i eat broccoli and nuts and seeds and greens and berries.
    i agree with the p.p.
    my macros are 65F/30P/5C
    doesn't really matter the initial intended purpose of the diet.
    my dr recommended it for my arthritis.
    to each his own. but why bash keto when it does work for some people. we are all just giving advice on our opinions.
  • 2DUNNY
    Options

no and no